Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Don't own any of their stuff. Is it really that bad?

Yes. List of things EA is known for:
- Bugs
- Mandatory Internet connection for games with no online content (just for DRM purposes)
- Shutting off their servers for games you've already paid for without cause or warning - meaning you can't play them
- Leaving the game entirely unfinished or without an ending (IE, build up to a final boss, but then make it so the door that should lead to the final boss leads to the credits instead, because they ran out of time to program the boss.)
- Requiring repeated payment to finish the game
- Bugs
- Lack of response to customer complaints
- Long load times
- Poor performance
- Bugs
- Slapped together ports
- Lack of quality assurance
- Bugs

All this has led to EA being the only company to have ever won Consumer Report's Golden Poo award as the worst company in the world, not once, but twice in a row in 2011 and 2012. They beat out other notoriously bad companies such as Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Carnival, and Bank of America for that award.

I've hated them and have been boycotting them since 2008 or so (since I played the crappy Mac port of C&C 3) but this huge amount of hate worldwide started about 2 years ago - it was the IAP that made most of the game players on MR hate then, I think.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I think you summarized it pretty well, going back to '83 to find the most recent EA game title that was both decent and didn't piss people off.

People were pissed off about Need for Speed Underground, SSX3, and Harry Potter 2? Those games were great.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Real Racing 3 is one of my favorite games on iOS

I agree, its a stunning game, now if they sold it to me for £9.99-£12.99 , took away the forced waits that are only there to try and force you to spend money, and again, dropped the stupidly high purchase price of in game items that are only that expensive to try and get you to spend real money buying game cash, THEN i might still have it installed and play it.

i HATE micro-transaction like nothing else on earth, i don't mind paying £10-£15 for good DLC (like Dragon age or Mass Effect 2 or Borderlands 2 or Skyrim had) but im not paying that to buy virtual currency to buy in-game items because the game has been built to turn me upside down by my ankles and shake me till its had all my money

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Let me have my turn..

BOOOO EA GO AWAY!!! Leave us alone, and go bankrupt please!!! Liars !!! Evil corporate asses! We don't want you anymore!!!!

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I'm really hoping that with controller support coming, it causes Nintendo the same fate as Sega so then they have to make Pokemon for iOS. All I want is a Pokemon game on my iPhone! it's the perfect game for mobile. :D

there's always the gba4ios project over on github, check it out....

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
You're thinking short term.

Like I said, not today, not tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time before mobile creeps into the living room in a big way.

TV, Movies, Music, and Gaming, everything.

And it doesn't have to replace and XBOX, it just needs to disrupt the economy of XBOX. In the same way iPads don't replace the PC, but the PC economy is very different after the iPad.

If that's what you meant, then mobile already disrupted the console economy a couple years ago. Iwata (Nintendo) admitted this

Most analyst opinions looking forward aren't on disruption (that already happened), it's on the possibility of mobile killing consoles (which won't happen because the industry is IP driven, and mobile can't deliver the same quality IP at budget pricepoints)

TV, Movies, etc are already in the living room via streaming and set top boxes, which is more practical because it doesn't drain a battery or require a data connection. I don't get how mobile will disrupt those

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Yes. List of things EA is known for:
You missed off: Nasty, thoughtless SOBs to work for:

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

It's an old story, but there are many out there who have been affected by EA's bully-style management. I have a friend who ended up working for them twice (due to companies he worked at being bought by EA). So many horrid stories of how many hours he had to work, and how little they cared about his well being.

So screw em!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
You missed off: Nasty, thoughtless SOBs to work for:

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

It's an old story, but there are many out there who have been affected by EA's bully-style management. I have a friend who ended up working for them twice (due to companies he worked at being bought by EA). So many horrid stories of how many hours he had to work, and how little they cared about his well being.

So screw em!

He also left off missing release dates then a week later announcing a new release date and ignoring that they've just missed one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.