Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
From what I understand Jettison is used to dismount the SD drive rather than having to eject it manually to enable the MBA to go to sleep when the lid is closed. From what I've read if you don't dismount/eject the drive your MBA won't go to sleep.

Ah I see. My 2010 sleeps fine with the mini drive in, but I don't know how to check whether it's the deep sleep or just normal...

drj1485

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
sleep

I have a newly purchased 2013 macbook air. just testing out with an old card, it sleeps with the SD card in. as far as deep sleep I don't know, and I don't know how to check, so that's out of the question. the amount of time it takes to shutdown and restart is like 15 seconds at most, so I just completely shut down when I am done for a while. I don't like using third party apps to control my OS. as far as a lot of the comments about the speed. The SD slot is a great place to put files that you don't really need to access all the time but don't want to permanently delete them and/or want them to be readily accessible still for whatever reason. old notes, presentations, emails, photos, etc. those things add up after a while on a 128gb drive. anything you use all the time should just stay on your SSD. This is just me, but I wouldn't have bought the Air if memory-intensive usage was a daily occurence. Although it is powerful, it isn't a workstation. So unless you're very impatient or find that you move insanely large files around your computer a lot it might be worth it.

I was looking at the nifty because I preferred the style of theirs and I read a bad review about this particular one. But now that i've read this post I think I will give these guys a whirl. it's less expensive than the nifty anyways.

Good post, great comments. thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.