Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illomatic3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Thinking about getting the Seidio Surface for IP5, anyone have it already and want to share pics/details? Debating between:
Seidio Surface, Incase Slider, or to wait on the Incipio EdgePro.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I have the Seidio Surface and I think it's great. I've had the Surface model for the 3GS and 4S. I loved the 3GS one and was only OK with the 4S one. This one for the 5 has that great feel and fit that the 3GS model had. The outside coating feels nice and the inner felt doesn't make me worry about the chance of scuffs.

Preordered it and it was delivered a day after the phone arrived.

I use it with the Seidio belt clip. That's my standard set-up. I don't like to keep my phone in my pocket.

My friend ordered the one with the built-in kickstand and he loves it.

Here are a few quick pictures I took with my iPad. I hope they help.

Attachments

• IMG_0022[1].JPG
    IMG_0022[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0023[2].JPG
    IMG_0023[2].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0024[1].JPG
    IMG_0024[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,971
  • IMG_0025[1].JPG
    IMG_0025[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 220

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I have the Seidio Surface and I think it's great. I've had the Surface model for the 3GS and 4S. I loved the 3GS one and was only OK with the 4S one. This one for the 5 has that great feel and fit that the 3GS model had. The outside coating feels nice and the inner felt doesn't make me worry about the chance of scuffs.

Preordered it and it was delivered a day after the phone arrived.

I use it with the Seidio belt clip. That's my standard set-up. I don't like to keep my phone in my pocket.

My friend ordered the one with the built-in kickstand and he loves it.

I've had a CaseCrown slider on my iPhone 4 and I loved it but it seems like it scuffed the sides. It seems like all sliders would do this. How well does this case handle the sides of the iPhone 5? I'm looking at getting the white case to go with my white iPhone 5

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
This is the third generation of the Surface I've purchased and so far I haven't had any scuffs. I would expect the same this time around with the 5. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were a few marks seeing how many people are saying it's easy to scratch the black. The felt covers the back of the phone and not the sides.

Since you have the white and people are saying it doesn't show marks as easily I wouldn't worry too much.

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
This is the third generation of the Surface I've purchased and so far I haven't had any scuffs. I would expect the same this time around with the 5. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were a few marks seeing how many people are saying it's easy to scratch the black. The felt covers the back of the phone and not the sides.

Since you have the white and people are saying it doesn't show marks as easily I wouldn't worry too much.

Great to hear, thanks. I think I might order the combo since I want something to where on my hip when I'm at the gym.

One more question. Is the case easy to take off and put on? I like to go naked (with my iPhone) from time to time so that's also a factor to me.

Thanks

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I have the clip and it works great. I used to use it this way at the gym or out running but I moved to a Tune Belt that fits around my waist. The Tune Belt just feels more secure and it fits perfectly with the case on. Not that the phone ever fell when I exercised with the clip. It was more about me being paranoid. I did it with the clip for 3 years without it falling off once.

The clip also has felt on the inside and I think it helps protect the face if there's ever a fall.

You shouldn't have any problems working the phone in and out of the case many times. The felt makes that go smoothly. The only thing you may worry about is if you have a screen protector. The fit is pretty exact and that may cause bubbles around the edges or corners if the protector is off center.

If you get it you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I've had the Surface model for the 3GS and 4S. I loved the 3GS one and was only OK with the 4S one.

Thanks for the pictures, I agree with the 3GS vs 4 case. The 4 or 4S cases was terrible and I could not dump it fast enough. I missed the fit/feel of the 3GS case and went naked.

I will give Seidio another chance and see how the iPhone5 case fits and feels. I really hope it's like the 3GS case or I think they will have lost me this time around. I'm not a big fan of cases but sometimes it's nice to have the option.

I will re post after receiving it in a few days.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I received my Seidio Surface case and as mentioned would return with an update.

Seidio did a great job this time around and dumped all the terrible things they did with the iPhone4 cases.

The iPhone5 case takes me back to how the 3GS felt and fit in the case.
The case feels awesome in the hand and the edges are slightly rounded or smooth. It fits very tights around the iPhone5 and I will recommend the case to anyone thinking about it.

It feels soft to the touch but it's not a soft case. I'm happy and done with my case searching which is a good thing b/c as everyone knows you can spend a small fortune trying to find the right case.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
That's great srl.

I feel the same way. I've got the case that's perfect for me and I don't have to search any longer.

With the 4S model I was always looking for something better.

Abbsta

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I got the kickstand version and like it very much to the extent that I'm going to get another in Blue (for going out). I just can't decide whether to go for this model or the Surface Reveal. Any advice would be appreciated.

illomatic3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
any one got pics of the Blue version? thinking about getting it but 30 bucks is high without any added accessories. Also kind of wish they made a grey one as well.

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I had the Incase slider and returned it, it just didn't fit right. There's a thin rubber rail instead of a felt pad which left lots of wiggle room. The case actually creaked when I held it, it was a loud creak. It was so annoying!

My friend gave me the Seidio slider, it's 100x better. Perfect fit and finish. It doesn't leave any greasy marks on the case, but it still feels great. It's nice and sleek too, not bulky by any means. Big score for this case!

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I wish that Seidio had kept the active case format that they used for the iPhone 4. It was the perfect case very similar to the Otterbox Commuter with an interior silicon, but with the soft texturized Seidio case just like the Slider. I've used the case for 2 years and it shows no scars or fingerprints. Makes me mad that I can't get the same case for my iPhone 5. The 6 armed spine now on the case just ruins it for me.

seidio_CSR6IPH4P-BK.jpg

RCC1028

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
I had a serious problem with this case for the Iphone 4. It was so tight it got stuck on the phone and it would not come off. I took it to the Apple store- they said they had a removal tool that could get it off. Even their tool would not work. They finally broke it off for me, and advised me to not use this case again as it was badly designed.

Has anyone had problems with removing this case? Is it as tight at the one for the Iphone 4 was? I saw some reviews for it on Amazon, that said that they had the same problems with the Iphone 5 case as I had with the case for the Iphone 4.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I've owned the seidio surface "reveal" though but basically the same for the 3gs, 4 & now 5. Love them all but the 3gs & 5 version seems to fit better than the 4. The cases are surely tight but removable. The only time that I got the case stuck was on the ip4 and was using a full invisible shield and when I ripped it apart it actually pulled the IS off too...

neotope

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I wish that Seidio had kept the active case format that they used for the iPhone 4. It was the perfect case very similar to the Otterbox Commuter with an interior silicon, but with the soft texturized Seidio case just like the Slider. I've used the case for 2 years and it shows no scars or fingerprints. Makes me mad that I can't get the same case for my iPhone 5. The 6 armed spine now on the case just ruins it for me.

They have an Active case for the iPhone 5:

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-CSK3IP...507269&sr=8-9&keywords=seidio+active+iphone+5

I ordered this case and got it in today so I am still forming an opinion on it. The shell is not as encompassing as other cases of this type which makes the case nice to hold in your hand. My only complaint so far is the rubber on the bottom below the home button is very floppy. A lot of really good cases like the Poetic Atmosphere seem to have this same flaw!

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
They have an Active case for the iPhone 5:

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-CSK3IP...507269&sr=8-9&keywords=seidio+active+iphone+5

I ordered this case and got it in today so I am still forming an opinion on it. The shell is not as encompassing as other cases of this type which makes the case nice to hold in your hand. My only complaint so far is the rubber on the bottom below the home button is very floppy. A lot of really good cases like the Poetic Atmosphere seem to have this same flaw!

Did you not read my post?? I'm well aware that Seidio still has an Active case for the iPhone 5(I outlined the changes in my post), HOWEVER it is not even close the the Active case that they had for the iPhone 4. I even enclosed a picture of the Active case for the 4 to make my point. The old case was much nicer and offered much more protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.