Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Fastball32
macrumors member

iPad 4th Generation VS Mini

I own both an iPad mini and 4th generation.

I love my 4th gen, the screen and performance are amazing.

I hate the screen of the iPad mini, although the ppi is more than the iPad 1/2, for some reason it looks worse, especially the text. Web text and iBooks look small & fuzzy and I do resort to landscape mode in apps/websites to make things look big enough to read (I am in my 20's).

When friends ask me what I recommend, I hate the mini screen so much that I for some reason cannot recommend it. I do have an iPhone 5 and have been using an iPad 3 for the past half year, so retina is what I am used to.

That being said, I find myself using my iPad mini 90% of the time. When I'm on the couch, bed, or traveling, I gravitate towards the mini. The size and weight is not perfect but feels natural and "good enough". The mini screen really sucks, but objectively, I still use the mini almost all day and everyday and rarely pick up my fast, beautiful 4.

However, my body still reluctantly and unconsciously picks up the mini over the 4. So until the Retina Mini debuts, my conscious mind dislikes the mini, but unconscious mind loves it.

Hope this helps others who are deciding between the two.

Last edited by Fastball32; Nov 22, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Fastball32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:35 AM   #2
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

maybe you got a bad mini, although inferior to the ipad 4 the screen on mine is better than the 2, best thing to do is not use the 4 anymore, over time the screen will not bother you but if you keep using the 4 you will be bothered by it. to me the size and weight make the mini overall the better one, when the retina comes out i can see the mini outselling the big one
JoeShades is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:48 AM   #3
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball32 View Post
I own both an iPad mini and 4th generation.

I love my 4th gen, the screen and performance are amazing.

I hate the screen of the iPad mini, although the ppi is more than the iPad 1/2, for some reason it looks worse, especially the text. Web text and iBooks look small and I do resort to landscape mode in apps/websites to make things look big enough to read (I am in my 20's).

When friends ask me what I recommend, I hate the mini screen so much that I for some reason cannot recommend it. I do have an iPhone 5 and have been using an iPad 3 for the past half year, so retina is what I am used to.

That being said, I find myself using my iPad mini 90% of the time. When I'm on the couch, bed, or traveling, I gravitate towards the mini. The size and weight is not perfect but feels natural and "good enough". The mini screen really sucks, but objectively, I still use the mini almost all day and everyday and rarely pick up my fast, beautiful 4.

However, my body still reluctantly and unconsciously picks up the mini over the 4. So until the Retina Mini debuts, my conscious mind dislikes the mini, but unconscious mind loves it.

maybe u are under a mini spell
raccoonboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:41 AM   #4
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
No it doesn't, just seems your confused.
wrkactjob is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:37 AM   #5
maflynn

Quote:
So until the Retina Mini debuts, my conscious mind dislikes the mini, but unconscious mind loves it.
I don't know about unconscious vs conscious thought, but the mini is a great tablet that provides great usage. It sacrifices some things like a retina screen and better performance. If you want a faster tablet with a better display then the iPad 4 is the better machine. If the form factor is more important to you then the mini is the obvious choice
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Thumbs down

You need to get out more......first world problems! Enough of these dumb threads.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:04 AM   #7
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
You need to get out more......first world problems! Enough of these dumb threads.
Who needs to get out more, some one who posts a pointless thread, or someone who replies to a pointless thread?

Oh wait, I just replied to some one who replied to a pointless thread. I really need to get out more.
reputationZed is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Fastball32
macrumors member

This thread are for those who may think that they would want an iPad 4 for the screen and performance, but may actually end up using a mini due to the ergonomics. It's like the classical 'want vs need'.
I actually thought I prefer the 4, but since I have both, I realized that I end up using the mini much more despite its flaws.
Fastball32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:37 PM   #9
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

The screen on iPad mini isn't bad at all. It really isn't. I've seen retina and non-retina side by side, and yes, while retina is obviously better, the non-retina screen on iPad mini is good too!
EMAN19 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:48 PM   #10
reardoma
macrumors member

Smile i-overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post

do people really think they need....

an iphone 5,
an ipad 4,
AND
an ipad mini?

Seems like you might have had too much kool-aid, no way you need a 4", 7", and 10" screen plus i'm sure you have a MBP and iMac as well.....
reardoma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Another iPad maxi vs mini thread? I thought we already had like 600 of these?
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad