Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Popular game prices rarely change.

It's 20$ on Steam for PC. The MAS is usually overpriced on games. Civ IV can be had for peanuts on Steam, even for Mac (I bought it for like 6$ with all expansions and Colonization included, it's 20$ for just the base game on the MAS).

Anyone who buys game titles on the MAS is getting screwed.

Stellarola

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I dunno if it's available on Macs, but if it is, turn PhysX off. I can run this game at a smooth 60 FPS on my old 8800GTS 512 with everything tuned up but that.

No option for PhysX. This is just how it is playing Windows ports in OS X. Same thing can be said about Call of Duty 4, Price of Persia, etc.

...Makes me sad.... :(

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
So this has been added to the MAS, but not Steamplay-enabled on Steam?

Very lame. I already have this for PC. I'm not buying it again.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Don't you have to upgraded your antivirus or something ? Heard that another malware is lurking...

I wouldn't go there with the sudden influx of OS X trojans and the XProtect feature Apple put in to Snow Leopard. ;)

Why so defensive anyhow ? Windows has always been the premiere gaming platform for PCs and Apple have always been content to not really actively pursue this.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I was going to buy it, but with AC coming so soon I figure it will make AA obsolete... plus it's $40 and I already own it so while I'd like to support Feral, I have to pass.

I'll re-buy Deus Ex HR when they release it, though.

I like the way you think. I'm holding off on Deus Ex until they port it. But I will definitely buy it then, even if we are talking a year or two from now. I do try to buy a few Mac games from time to time to help support the efforts. Though most of my gaming is on 360 where I can get the new titles albeit running on very old hardware.

----------

(Sigh)

It's so much nicer playing a native game in OS X so I can just put it in the background or even quit it for a minute, do something else, and go right back to it. I find myself playing a LOT of Team Fortress 2 for this reason.

TF2 is still killing it. I played a little of it myself this weekend. Pretty amazing after all these years.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's 20$ on Steam for PC. The MAS is usually overpriced on games. Civ IV can be had for peanuts on Steam, even for Mac (I bought it for like 6$ with all expansions and Colonization included, it's 20$ for just the base game on the MAS).

Anyone who buys game titles on the MAS is getting screwed.

Nah, I disagree. "Anyone" that buys "game titles" on the MAS will not get automatically screwed. I get stuff on iTunes and the Mac App Store cheap all the time. The first most obvious strategy is to simply wait for sales. Just like the iTunes App Store, game developers drop their titles from time to time, and sometimes massively. Add titles you want on your AppShopper wish list and let it notify you. Granted you need a little patience though. But just to name a few examples of some titles that I got for super cheap on the MAS during a sale: I picked up Deathspank for $7.99 (regular $14.99), N.O.V.A. 2 for $.99 (regular $6.99), Modern Combat Domination for $0.99 (regular $12.99), and my favorite sale, Trine for $1.99 (regular $19.99), 90% off, and still on sale today! Surely no one is getting screwed with these prices.

Secondly, the indie market on the MAS is extremely competitively priced versus Steam. In fact, just about all available indie games are exactly priced between MAS and Steam. Titles such as World of Goo, Plants vs. Zombies, Samarost 2, Zen Bound 2, Beat Trip and Machinarium are all exactly the same regular prices between the MAS and Steam.

Ok, so those were just the indie titles. Yes, big titles, such as Batman, Bioshock, and Borderlands are all overpriced than their Windows counterparts and their respective sales just don't match up to Steam's sales. But just like indie titles, they do eventually go on sale, and so you can be sure to expect Batman to at least be a little lower than it is now. You can go even lower, but I had to think a little out of the box on this one.

A combination of iTunes gift cards on sale at Best Buy, my credit card rewards, my bank extra rewards program (for me, Bank of America's "Add it Up"), and the Best Buy rewards zone membership program can net me over 25% off stuff in the MAS or iTunes App store. Put that on top of a sale on a game in the MAS and you can easily get a game over 50% off. I do this all the time and it works great.

Bottom line is though, you are not totally getting screwed for buying from the MAS. It largely depends on what titles you're after (indie vs big budget), and your ability and patience to work the system.

Edit: Case in point: All of the Call of Duty titles just dropped to their lowest prices on the MAS at the time of this edit. Believe it or not, Call of Duty is $9.99, $10 less than Steam, Call of Duty 2 is $14.99, $5 down from the Steam version, and Call of Duty 4 is $19.99, same price as Steam version. :D

Last edited:

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Don't you have to upgraded your antivirus or something ? Heard that another malware is lurking...

So naive...

I and 99% of Windows 7 users have NEVER had a problem.

Hmmmmm. Some Nasty Malware for Mac nowadays ! ....Its just started dude...Going to get a LOT worse I can personally Guarantee it. :)

But thats not the point bro.

Why "Game" .....on a Mac

LOL

Whatchu Got ?!?!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Does anyone know how to show the current FPS while playing the game? How do you bring up the console?

Batman Arkham Asylum had the console disabled on all platforms from what I know. I know we never used it on the Mac.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Is there a way in this game to not be logged in to your appeID?

I can't for the life of me, figure a way to sign out

Just make sure you are not logged into Game Centre in OS X and it will not use your Game Centre ID. Apple's Game Centre is automatic and built into the OS. So if you setup GameCentre the game will seamlessly use your GC account.

We don't use your AppStore ID at all.

Please note your save games are tied to your Game Centre account so if you have been playing then logout of GameCentre you will not be able to use your save games until you log back in.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.