Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RhyminSimon03

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Success Making Money With Youtube!

You can absolutely still make money from Youtube. One specific way that I would recommend is Tubelaunch. It's definitely worth a shot. Here is the link to get started with Tubelaunch http://tinyurl.com/l24j6a2. Best of luck!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I started a channel a year ago and wow people find your content - got one video with over 18,000 views and many other in the high view count.

I'm just a guy creating videos that I think are informative or entertaining. If you are consistent with creating videos you'll start to have a following - small at first, but it does grow. Many of your videos will get little hits, but some will get big hits - it just takes time.

I get YouTube checks ever couple months and its a nice bonus to my regular income - my hope is that one day it will be even more substantial as it is very much residual income those videos I created a year ago are still creating income for me and in 10-20 years that could be a big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/tchaten

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
My advice would be to grow your channel first - dont think about making money, Create videos on something you enjoy doing. As your channel grows you can think about making money since people will want to see your video even after a 20 second ad etc.
Too many people jump on YouTube with the main goal of making money, and thats it - and most of those earn very little.

Ive been doing YouTube for several years, but only actually strted doing it 'properly' for the past year or two. Before that I wasnt too bothered, but then decided to get better equipped and step up my game!

Now Im at a point where companies will send me stuff for free to review - at times I get to keep it, other times I send it back after a 'play' and review etc. I make enough on a monthly basis to feed my gadget addiction - and I see that as a bonus.
Nevertheless, my advice is to get your content up, get a subscriber base established, and then think about monetizing - not the other way round.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I wanna weigh in on that with two comments:

1. I unsubscribe way more quickly from a channel if I have to watch an ad before each video. The content has to be really good for me to accept that. I would recommend you to wait with your monetization until you have a little bigger of an audience.

This, exactly.

I've set monetization for my videos (At least, a few of them, I think) and I make sure to turn off the video ads and only have that small pop-up thing.

The video ads are extremely obnoxious, I'm tired of waiting a while for the ad to finish, sometimes it just really isn't worth it and I close the video before the ad finishes. Even worse, an ad recently put on YouTube would get stuck as soon as it reached the end (Where it says "Click to buy the album" - very fishy), so you've just spent 30 seconds watching a boring advert for a band you don't care about, only for it to get stuck...the reliability is horrible. That's not even the worst part; if you have a slow connection, you're going to be waiting for the ad to load...which is just pathetic and painful.

I'm never going to turn on video ads, I hate them, and I don't want people who are taking the time to watch my videos to get frustrated waiting around and then decide to not watch it. You can skip some ads, which is bearable, but I still don't want my viewers to have to wait for the skip button.

I'm fine with ads to make things free, I'm fine with the small pop-up ads on YouTube to allow the person to earn some money, but the video ads are just not good. If you don't have ads at all, I salute you, and I think CaseyNeistat very rarely puts ads on his videos.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
For me I HATE the lowered thirds - I can watch the 5 second preroll and hit skip - not a problem - I spend time creating valuable content that is available at no cost - if you can't wait to click skip after 5 seconds I really don't care if you want my stuff anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
For me I HATE the lowered thirds - I can watch the 5 second preroll and hit skip - not a problem - I spend time creating valuable content that is available at no cost - if you can't wait to click skip after 5 seconds I really don't care if you want my stuff anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

If you skip after 5 secs you don't make any revenue from the ad as the advertiser only has to pay YouTube if a significant portion of their ad has been watched.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I get that - the viewers that don't want to support me can hit skip - but enough watch the ads it make it worthwhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.