Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bruce1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
I really like the iPhone 5c colors and think it's a great looking phone. Maybe when apple upgrades the iPod touch line it will consider using the same type of polycarbonate shell as the iphone 5c for the touch with multiple colors. Then too maybe apple could lower the price for each iPod Touch...something like $200 for the 16gb model, $250 for the 32gb model and $300 for the 64gb model.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I'd prefer if they keep the aluminum finish they currently have with the iPod touch 5th Gen, though it's slippery and smooth, it made the iPod looks really classy... the plastic looks cheap. My opinion and 2 cents of course.

Bruce1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
I like the current iPod touches too but maybe the plastic would be more durable and scratch resistant. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit thicker too with a bigger battery...at least 50 hours of audio playback.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Id love to see it in plastic and be slightly cheaper. The whole plastic hate thing is just ridiculous.

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
Would look good I think, and I want to see this happen.

Also if they can make it cheaper as a result or may be fit ambient light sensor and give it better spec for gaming with same pricing, that's good too.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I like the current iPod touches too but maybe the plastic would be more durable and scratch resistant. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit thicker too with a bigger battery...at least 50 hours of audio playback.

Oh dear, I would love for the 6th Gen to be a bit thicker myself, you've no idea how many times the 5th Gen almost slipped out of my hand and many times before I was able to save it before it hits the ground, but recently it completely slipped off my hand and finally landed on a concrete floor, personally the thinness is really ridiculous.

Id love to see it in plastic and be slightly cheaper. The whole plastic hate thing is just ridiculous.

Was there such a hate going on? I didn't noticed it? I feel like it looks cheap (to me) and may crack if drop but if Apple could give it a solid finish and make it durable and cheap all the better!

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well personally I'd prefer the aluminium build of the current touch. I think it looks more premium. Although being an S4 owner I don't mind plastic.

Gary495

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Plastic would be nice. Aluminum looks exclusive, but I'm getting tired of the scratches too.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Plastic would be nice. Aluminum looks exclusive, but I'm getting tired of the scratches too.

No scratches on my 5th Gen aluminum back, is yours scratched? The previous Gen with the chrome back was the worst it's like a scratch magnet.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
The 3rd/4th Gen chrome back scratched very easily, especially with those light scratches from simply resting the device on a table or hard surface. The 5th Gen aluminium back is a major improvement as it hides those scratches.

My guess would be that a plastic back would react similar to the chrome except would hide easier on black/white colors where you could only see scratches under direct light, much like the iPhone 3G/3GS back.

Alumnium is the best material yet except making it slipperier than soap! :eek:

Bruce1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Oh dear, I would love for the 6th Gen to be a bit thicker myself, you've no idea how many times the 5th Gen almost slipped out of my hand and many times before I was able to save it before it hits the ground, but recently it completely slipped off my hand and finally land on a concrete floor, personally the thinness is really ridiculous.

I agree. That's why I bought a good case for mine. It's a TPU case and gives it a bit more thickness and a good grip to it. If they did make them from plastic like the iPhone 5c from what I read they put some kind of coating on it to make it more scratch resistant and easier to grip. I'd likely put a case on it anyways...

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
The 3rd/4th Gen chrome back scratched very easily, especially with those light scratches from simply resting the device on a table or hard surface. The 5th Gen aluminium back is a major improvement as it hides those scratches.

My guess would be that a plastic back would react similar to the chrome except would hide easier on black/white colors where you could only see scratches under direct light, much like the iPhone 3G/3GS back.

Alumnium is the best material yet except making it slipperier than soap! :eek:

Agree, aluminum finish is really polished and professional looking I really like it. To be honest not a fan of those material that "hide" scratches and can be revealed under direct sunlight.

I agree. That's why I bought a good case for mine. It's a TPU case and gives it a bit more thickness and a good grip to it. If they did make them from plastic like the iPhone 5c from what I read they put some kind of coating on it to make it more scratch resistant and easier to grip. I'd likely put a case on it anyways...

What case do you have on? Links would be appreciated, I've been told Griffin cases are great.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Has there ever been a plastic-backed iPod, ever? They gave the iPhone 3G a plastic back for a better antenna signal, but the iPod never needed one.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Has there ever been a plastic-backed iPod, ever? They gave the iPhone 3G a plastic back for a better antenna signal, but the iPod never needed one.

Nope, but I guess people want to see changes? I'm happy with the aluminum so I'm hoping it stays for many generations to come for the iPod touch line.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
com'on you guys. really think that even if Ipod line is changed to plastic and apple will charge less??? next to impossible under Tim Cook. Half the world already shocked by 5C price and u think there will be a price cut?? Under Jobs maybe, since he doesn't really care much beside thinking of ways to surprise people with his new invention.

For Cook, its all about the money. Now they even change Iphone 5 cover, trim cost and sell at same price.

Just for note that Iphone 5C actually under those plastic are one layer of steel which is why it is fatter than 5s.

Bruce1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Well I read all about the iPhone 5c and I know the build of it is good quality...basically an iPhone 5 in a new shell so you're right that the price would not likely come down. I'd still like one though with a big battery and the A6 processor. 32gb model would be fine with me. Or maybe I could just get an iPhone 5c!

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I like the look of the current iPod Touch, and it isn't as easily marked as the chrome backs, but it is too close in price to the iPad and iPhone. If means plastic backs to be able to differentiate on price, so be it. The iPhone 5C looks good anyway (even though most of the colours are a bit too pastel for my taste).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.