Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I all. Been working making photo-real images. Just wondering what you all think of this. Any ideas what could make it look more real? This was modeled, and rendered in Lightwave 11.5.

Attachments

• Final RSP2.jpg
    Final RSP2.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 177

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I all. Been working making photo-real images. Just wondering what you all think of this. Any ideas what could make it look more real? This was modeled, and rendered in Lightwave 11.5.

Overall, a pretty good job, but it would look a lot more realistic if you had more definition on the control buttons, as they look a little blurry in the image. I get what you did with the light though, just a touch more "crispness" on them and it would really look the business.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Overall, a pretty good job, but it would look a lot more realistic if you had more definition on the control buttons, as they look a little blurry in the image. I get what you did with the light though, just a touch more "crispness" on them and it would really look the business.

A 100% crop does reveal the correct amount od detail I think, or do you think there should be more?

Attachments

• Final RSP2Crop.jpg
    Final RSP2Crop.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 101

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
It's a good looking model, and I think that it by far has enough detail to produce a realistic render with the right lighting and render settings.

Judging by the button in the middle, I can see that you've got some sort of outdoor environment around it for reflection, which is alright. I would choose an indoor scene, though, since that's where you'd normally find a stereo, and it'll have more details to reflect.

Watch this video to learn about global illumination in Lightwave and 3D graphics in general.

You'll notice in your image that some of your shadows are entirely black, which is unrealistic. The GI tutorial that I linked to above should help you out with that.

You could also use a bit of ambient occlusion, which will make it shaded darker in the cracks and crevices, making it look more realistic.

If you feel so inclined, please do post whatever improvements that you make to this when they're done. I'd like to see.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
These two images are the difference between literally checking two checkboxes (GI+AO), so render settings are very important.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 7.57.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 7.57.56 PM.png
    532.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 8.00.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 8.00.24 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 147

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Your image looks ok...but lacks correct lens perspective. Also seems to be lacking a GI lighting setup and AO as above said. I dont know lightwave but in c4D the difference between the stock render engine and Advance render engine is night and day. Maybe you need to start experimenting with a new render setup. Product rendering is all about the lighting Setup...when you "crack it" you can retire a happy man.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Your image looks ok...but lacks correct lens perspective. Also seems to be lacking a GI lighting setup and AO as above said. I dont know lightwave but in c4D the difference between the stock render engine and Advance render engine is night and day. Maybe you need to start experimenting with a new render setup. Product rendering is all about the lighting Setup...when you "crack it" you can retire a happy man.

Can you show me an example of one of your renderings. This would help a lot.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Heres a bottle i did. just for fun.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-10 at 4.57.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-10 at 4.57.43 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 134

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
ambient occlusion...it adds shadow depth between faces. It can help define edges...think of it as adding pop to your renders.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
ambient occlusion...it adds shadow depth between faces. It can help define edges...think of it as adding pop to your renders.

I have that on. Let me make some adjustments here . Will post in about 20 minutes or so.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006

Is this looking better? I know The Perspective is still off.

Attachments

• Newest Final RSP2A.jpg
    Newest Final RSP2A.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.