Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
A Powerball ticket is $2. If $2 gives me a miniscule chance of winning half a billion dollars, then I'm in. I'm sure whoever just won said to themselves "I know I don't have a chance of winning, but it's only 2 bucks".

Well that was a bit uncalled for...

I think going to a foreign country and telling everybody that everything they've ever known is wrong and you're right and they should listen to you is a bit uncalled for...

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I think going to a foreign country and telling everybody that everything they've ever known is wrong and you're right and they should listen to you is a bit uncalled for...

That would be uncalled for.. So happy I don't do that. Seems like you have not a clue what I speak of. . I find that humorous.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
First off, I'd squirrel away about $10Mil to keep my family financially secure. I'd use the rest to start up a small business. I'm not the sort to be content to fritter away money just because I'm nouveau riche.

If the business fails, then at least I've still got the $10Mil I put away.

If the business is successful and I'm making a tidy profit year to year, I'll hire someone to be da Boss while I relax on my private mountain top cabin.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
Assuming I paid said tax and won:
  • Zero out my mortgage
  • Zero out my mother's mortgage
  • Gift a small chunk of it to my mother so that she could actually, really, and truly retire. It'd be a one-shot deal though. If she didn't invest it properly so that she could live well on its interest, then she'd get no more.
  • Spruce the home up a bit with some repairs and improvements. If this cost more than a hundred thousand or so, I've done something severely wrong.
  • A car or two for my fleet.
  • Ignore the rest.

First and foremost would be to get out of debt. My mortgage is the only debt I have at this point in my life, but I'd rather there be 0 debt. Mom would follow.

My passion is cars. I don't want one of everything, because that's silly and pointless. In fact, the one I have is phenomenal in and of itself, and I'd keep it. I'd replace my aging pick-up with a newer version when GM is ready to release them. I'd add in a Cadillac CTS-V when the new version appears (year or two?) But I'd keep my ZR1 until GM has released its successor... and who knows when that'll be.

After that, perhaps I toy with the idea of a mega-car of some sort. But I'm not really 100% sure of that one.

What I wouldn't do:
  • Quit my job. I thoroughly enjoy what I do. In fact, it's sometimes hard to believe they pay me to do it.
  • Invest in more real estate. I like where I live. It's a nice chunk of land with a reasonably well-built home sitting on it. All right, smack in the middle of Northern VA. I'm not really interested in owning any more, nor leaving this property in favor of some other place.

That all said: I don't pay said tax, so this isn't going to ever happen. :)

jas

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Build myself a Wayne Manor and put up anyone who wants to live with me that had a prior friendship history with me. Also I'd probably pay for both my extended and immediate families education.

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
The District

I agree, I just would have worded it differently...I would have said basically what you said.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I'm curious.. Why that car?

Just a car I have admired for years. I have actually seen that car at the shop that worked on it. It was pretty much straight piped. When it was revved it sounded like a nascar. They're just odd cars that I love the styling on, and the loud V8 helps too :p

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Assuming I paid said tax and won:
  • Zero out my mortgage
  • Zero out my mother's mortgage
  • Gift a small chunk of it to my mother so that she could actually, really, and truly retire. It'd be a one-shot deal though. If she didn't invest it properly so that she could live well on its interest, then she'd get no more.
  • Spruce the home up a bit with some repairs and improvements. If this cost more than a hundred thousand or so, I've done something severely wrong.
  • A car or two for my fleet.
  • Ignore the rest.

First and foremost would be to get out of debt. My mortgage is the only debt I have at this point in my life, but I'd rather there be 0 debt. Mom would follow.

My passion is cars. I don't want one of everything, because that's silly and pointless. In fact, the one I have is phenomenal in and of itself, and I'd keep it. I'd replace my aging pick-up with a newer version when GM is ready to release them. I'd add in a Cadillac CTS-V when the new version appears (year or two?) But I'd keep my ZR1 until GM has released its successor... and who knows when that'll be.

After that, perhaps I toy with the idea of a mega-car of some sort. But I'm not really 100% sure of that one.

What I wouldn't do:
  • Quit my job. I thoroughly enjoy what I do. In fact, it's sometimes hard to believe they pay me to do it.
  • Invest in more real estate. I like where I live. It's a nice chunk of land with a reasonably well-built home sitting on it. All right, smack in the middle of Northern VA. I'm not really interested in owning any more, nor leaving this property in favor of some other place.

That all said: I don't pay said tax, so this isn't going to ever happen. :)

jas

Curious, what do you do? :D

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
1. Change phone numbers - All of them (cell too)
2. Pay off al debts.
3. Move to the t0 most rural place that has high speed access.
4. Build a solar, in ground heating/cooling and house wind generators on a house or build my own house to incorporate all these conditions.
5. Give family members (siblings) large sums, once.
6. Give donations to organizations I agree with including Red Cross & USO.
7. Retire to manage money and home plus help out a couple of life long friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.