Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
At the Transcend site, they only offer a 64GB version of the jet drive card for the rMBP 13" late 2013, but they offer the 128 version for the 15" model and the Air!. Why is that? I think that the slot can accept either version. Anybody?

The slot on the 13" is less deep so while the 13" can accept either version, the 128GB will stick out about 1/4"
The 64GB will be pretty much flush.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Looks like you were right.
Amazon is no longer selling them and B&H Photo is listing them as Discontinued.
:(

Amazon is still selling the 64GB one, plus the Transcend JetDrives are the same price as the outgoing PNY drives. I picked up the 128GB PNY drive when it went to $80, and it has worked admirably as my iTunes storage location.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Amazon is still selling the 64GB one, plus the Transcend JetDrives are the same price as the outgoing PNY drives. I picked up the 128GB PNY drive when it went to $80, and it has worked admirably as my iTunes storage location.
Ditto - picked up the 128GB PNY drive when it was at $80-something late last year. I don't use it for "active" storage because I've also got the 512GB SSD in my Air, but for large files and temp storage it has performed delightfully. Glad I have it, and sad that they're apparently being deprecated.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
$199.99 for 128GB though, I wish it was a little cheaper. Interested in selling your nifty mini drive?

I picked up a 128GB StoreEdge from B&H for $64.95 shipped. I love it! It fits almost flush with my 2012 rMBP - there’s a lip that sticks out just enough to grab it and extract it without those kludgy wire hooks that Nifty uses.

It’s fast, reliable, and is a convenient way to store an extra 128GB of data.

rjl410

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
PNY Storedge

I have purchased 2 such drives and I have to say, overall I am a bit unhappy. Yes, the size is great when speaking of 64gb/128gb of storage. I don't notice any performance lag, but I am definitely not a heavy user. What I am most disappointed with is that the Storedge does not fit flush to the body of the MB. Why is this such a big thing for me? I have now damaged 2 Storedge cards when either placing them into my Swiss backpack or when the edge bumped into something. So far this has not caused the second disk to fail, but I am assuming that is just a after of time. So, be careful how you place your computer into a backpack or definitely don't let it slide off a car seat into the door. The kip that I have seen referenced is more than just a little for the nail to grab. It's a good 1/4"+ on my 2013 MBP. Maybe something is wrong with my machine...

Hope this helps,

Richard

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I have purchased 2 such drives and I have to say, overall I am a bit unhappy. Yes, the size is great when speaking of 64gb/128gb of storage. I don't notice any performance lag, but I am definitely not a heavy user. What I am most disappointed with is that the Storedge does not fit flush to the body of the MB. Why is this such a big thing for me? I have now damaged 2 Storedge cards when either placing them into my Swiss backpack or when the edge bumped into something. So far this has not caused the second disk to fail, but I am assuming that is just a after of time. So, be careful how you place your computer into a backpack or definitely don't let it slide off a car seat into the door. The kip that I have seen referenced is more than just a little for the nail to grab. It's a good 1/4"+ on my 2013 MBP. Maybe something is wrong with my machine...

Hope this helps,

Richard

Maybe I'm just extra-anal after having destroyed a prior MBP by dropping it several years ago, but I really baby my $2200+ rMBP to prevent these types of things from happening.
For a great backpack, I recommend the Brenthaven. It has a well cushioned section that perfectly secures the Macbook (no sliding about here!).
Last winter I idiotically slipped on ice (not wearing boots) and fell on my back. Upon anxiously opening the backpack, I was HUGELY relieved to discover my expensive "baby" had nary a scratch!

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I keep my itunes library on my pny storedge- performance for music is fine, i don't use itunes for videos, and the only problem is the frequent disconnects, usually after sleeping. I do back up my library to an external and crashplan online storage, though.

I discovered the best way to use the StorEDGE for iTunes is to NOT MOVE the whole iTunes LIBRARY to it.
Instead:
1. Move the actual MUSIC folder in the iTunes Media folder to the StorEDGE (hold down the COMMAND key while dragging).
2. In iTunes->Preferences->Advanced UNCHECK the box that says "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". (This way iTunes will "see" your music, and play it from wherever you stored it.)
3. If you haven't already, delete the songs you moved from the iTunes library window.
4. Add the songs back by clicking FILE->ADD TO LIBRARY, then navigate to the music folder now on the StorEDGE.
5. The iTunes window will repopulate with your music.
6. Create a new blank MUSIC folder in iTunes Media folder to replace the one you moved. This is where any future music purchases/CD rips will be stored by default.

Never had any disconnect problems with this method.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I discovered the best way to use the StorEDGE for iTunes is to NOT MOVE the whole iTunes LIBRARY to it.
Instead:
1. Move the actual MUSIC folder in the iTunes Media folder to the StorEDGE (hold down the COMMAND key while dragging).
2. In iTunes->Preferences->Advanced UNCHECK the box that says "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". (This way iTunes will "see" your music, and play it from wherever you stored it.)
3. If you haven't already, delete the songs you moved from the iTunes library window.
4. Add the songs back by clicking FILE->ADD TO LIBRARY, then navigate to the music folder now on the StorEDGE.
5. The iTunes window will repopulate with your music.
6. Create a new blank MUSIC folder in iTunes Media folder to replace the one you moved. This is where any future music purchases/CD rips will be stored by default.

Never had any disconnect problems with this method.

Or just sign into Spotify...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.