Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skel_73

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Toronto
Hi there. I'm looking for an external USB 3.0 hard drive , either 2 or 3 TB, that is fast (7200RPM) and quiet. Anyone have an recommendations?

I've been looking at OWC Mercury Elite Pro and the miniSTACK, among others

I recently bought a 2TB Lacie Porsche and thought it would be very quiet as it's fanless, but it is noisier than the older Western Digital with fan that it replaced...

Thanks

Scott

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
The Seagate GoFlex Pro series of drives has a 7200rpm option. I have a 500gb 7200rpm GoFlex with a USB 3.0 interface (proprietary, included with my drive). It has served me well so far, used primarily for storing my audio sample library.

As an aside, I'm currently looking for USB 3.0 hubs that don't suck. Let me know if you have any experience with one. I'm back to my 2.0 one for now...

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'm using a pair of LaCie d2 Quadra v3 USB 3.0 3 TB drives on a 2012 mini (they also have FW800 daisy chaining ability). They have 64mb caches. They aren't silent but they produce less noise than other drives I've tested. They look pretty funky, never get hot and are quite fast.

Sustained read/writes of about 110 mb/s as separate drives and 190mb/s in mirrored raid 1. Later if I need more speed or space I could add another 2 for nested raid 1+0 or could even add a raid 1 pair of SSDs in external usb3 drive cases and have a big external fusion drive to go with the 1TB internal one the mini came with. Though that's probably risky.

You could put together your own setup buying external cases with whatever drives you want for less money than I paid for these but they probably wont look so cute. ;)

Attachments

• d2Quadra.jpg
    d2Quadra.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 112

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
I'm using a pair of LaCie d2 Quadra v3 USB 3.0 3 TB drives on a 2012 mini (they also have FW800 daisy chaining ability). They have 64mb caches. They aren't silent but they produce less noise than other drives I've tested. They look pretty funky, never get hot and are quite fast.

Daddy needs some more storage, how much noise does these badboys generate?

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Daddy needs some more storage, how much noise does these badboys generate?

I dont have anything to measure that unfortunately. I only notice noise when they awake from sleep. During normal usage I would hear them if they were on my desk but I've got them about 1m away on an open shelf and never notice anything distracting. BTW they don't sit on my MOTU that photo was just joking.

All in all I'm still very happy with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.