Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys, I have this static html, CSS, and JS website with a little bit of Jquery as well and I need to be able to add a backend way for other admins(ones with no development knowledge) to just login into the website and then be able to click and edit sections or click and change pictures with ones of there own. Basically I have made this whole website for a company but I do not have the time to constantly update it with there information. I need a simple way for them to be able to just login, click, and update on their own. Oh and it is being hosted by 1and1.com Thanks for the help.

Here is the webpage in case anyone was wondering: http://www.frostgiantbreeding.com

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Hey guys, I have this static html, CSS, and JS website with a little bit of Jquery as well and I need to be able to add a backend way for other admins(ones with no development knowledge) to just login into the website and then be able to click and edit sections or click and change pictures with ones of there own.

Quite honestly, these days, you'd be better off looking at installing a free content management system (Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal...) rather than writing your own from scratch - fun, educational but a bit non-trivial.

Otherwise, you're asking for a crash course in dynamic website development, which is a bit beyond the scope of this forum.

Whether you're rolling your own or using a third-party CMS, you'll need a service provider who support a server-side scripting language and database (usually PHP and MySQL but Other Brands Are Available).

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Quite honestly, these days, you'd be better off looking at installing a free content management system (Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal...) rather than writing your own from scratch - fun, educational but a bit non-trivial.

Otherwise, you're asking for a crash course in dynamic website development, which is a bit beyond the scope of this forum.

Whether you're rolling your own or using a third-party CMS, you'll need a service provider who support a server-side scripting language and database (usually PHP and MySQL but Other Brands Are Available).

True but if I do it through wordpress or joomla won't I lose the content and some CSS of my website? Like I want to keep it just how it is, I do not want to lose the themes or any features.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm actually experimenting with SimpleCMS right now which would seem to fit the bill for what you want to do. It let's you turn selected divs on your website into editable content areas.

I do a lot of sites that don't have any need for full dynamic capabilities via a CMS, but can benefit from having updatable news sections or similar functions so something like this looks to be ideal.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
True but if I do it through wordpress or joomla won't I lose the content and some CSS of my website? Like I want to keep it just how it is, I do not want to lose the themes or any features.

True - although you can customise the templates. However, there's a lot of donkey work & you have to worry about putting together a secure log-in system, validating HTML & uploads etc.

I'm not saying don't try - if you can stick to plain text editing (no embedded HTML to evaluate), avoid complicated & potentially insecure things like image uploading & do without a full-blown account management system then it is not so bad... until the site grows and you have to add such features.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm actually experimenting with SimpleCMS right now which would seem to fit the bill for what you want to do. It let's you turn selected divs on your website into editable content areas.

I do a lot of sites that don't have any need for full dynamic capabilities via a CMS, but can benefit from having updatable news sections or similar functions so something like this looks to be ideal.

A CMS like SimpleCMS does sound like a viable option here. Unfortunately, SimpleCMS is a hosted solution, but if you want something similar you can host yourself look at Mojomotor (paid, from Ellis Labs) or the open source Concrete5.

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
A CMS like SimpleCMS does sound like a viable option here. Unfortunately, SimpleCMS is a hosted solution, but if you want something similar you can host yourself look at Mojomotor (paid, from Ellis Labs) or the open source Concrete5.

Thanks and yeah I looked around but they all seem to direct me to a new template I just wanna keep the html I have and make it editable right there on the page as long as you're logged in as an admin. I don't understand why these things are so structured and frankly obnoxious. What about ruby on rails or javascript? Is there an implemented way to code for admin panels or something. Idk, I just though there would be an easier way to just add some code for each content section on my html or for each div, to make that section editable through an admin type panel....

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
The general approach to convert a site from static to CMS-driven is to take your current HTML and build one or more templates from them. You'd then create content sections or articles from the content of individual pages. Ultimately, your CMS-driven site can look identical to how it does now, even if the content is managed by Wordpress.

However, there no magic button that I am aware that can set this up for you. Your best bet is to review some of the more popular CMSes, pick one that looks suitable, and take the time to learn it.

An alternative approach is to build your own CMS. Most likely something heavily designed to the site you have. That is, your CMS might have a function for 'Manage Breeding content', rather than the more generic content management found in an off-the-shelf CMS. How is your backend experience (e.g. PHP, Ruby, MySQL)?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I just though there would be an easier way to just add some code for each content section on my html or for each div, to make that section editable through an admin type panel....

In modern browsers, you can easily make the content of a div editable:

http://html5demos.com/contenteditable

Or, more practically, you can use something like this to add all the expected bells and whistles for text formatting & take care of browser compatibility issues:

http://www.tinymce.com

However, all that does is let the user edit the copy of the page in their browser: you have to do all the coding to upload that modified text to the server, store it in a database and insert it into the page when other people access it. It's not rocket science - but it is a non-trivial amount of work and you'll be re-inventing the wheel. I'm not saying 'don't try' - if you put in the effort you'll probably get a better-looking and more distinctive site than you would with a CMS - but there's no quick fix solution.

Even if you DIY, it is usually sensible to go for some form of template-based approach.

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
In modern browsers, you can easily make the content of a div editable:

http://html5demos.com/contenteditable

Or, more practically, you can use something like this to add all the expected bells and whistles for text formatting & take care of browser compatibility issues:

http://www.tinymce.com

However, all that does is let the user edit the copy of the page in their browser: you have to do all the coding to upload that modified text to the server, store it in a database and insert it into the page when other people access it. It's not rocket science - but it is a non-trivial amount of work and you'll be re-inventing the wheel. I'm not saying 'don't try' - if you put in the effort you'll probably get a better-looking and more distinctive site than you would with a CMS - but there's no quick fix solution.

Even if you DIY, it is usually sensible to go for some form of template-based approach.

Thanks and yeah I guess but I just hate how I cannot make my OWN website however I want with a CMS, I don't wanna use or buy another template, because it restricts you from making certain changes or features that can be used on the site.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX

I don't know that it's a hosted solution like what you're thinking.

You do log into an admin panel on their site to update content, but the site itself is still hosted by you.

Thanks and yeah I guess but I just hate how I cannot make my OWN website however I want with a CMS, I don't wanna use or buy another template, because it restricts you from making certain changes or features that can be used on the site.

Again, check out SimpleCMS. There's a few other similar services out there as well.

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I don't know that it's a hosted solution like what you're thinking.

You do log into an admin panel on their site to update content, but the site itself is still hosted by you.

Again, check out SimpleCMS. There's a few other similar services out there as well.

Thanks guys, I was able to use cushyCMS, its free version basically does everything the pro does and all I had to do was add their div class to certain sections I wanted edited and it pulls it in to be edited in a plain text box. I just wish for the forms and stuff it would make a form of its own but it's just plain text.

CreativeOutlaw

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Another vote for SimpleCMS

I also highly recommend SimpleCMS. All you need to do is designate tags in the code on your pages that assigns text areas and images as editable/replaceable... then your client is given a web address and a login where they can see the actual webpage, click on an element and edit it directly. For $100 per year for unlimited sites, it's a great deal. For any of my clients who have a small business site that's less than 10 pages or so and don't need a full Wordpress install, this is what I set them up with. It saves them the hassle of constantly hunting me down for minor edits like these, and me feeling like I'm wasting their money if I have to charge them my rate for such simple edits.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I built a custom CMS for a client about two years ago. Used content editable HTML 5 stuff so that when an admin logged in, the webpage itself was editable. The client loved it, drag and drop images ect. After about a year they wanted some more work done, but I was busy with another project. They hired another developer. He hated it, mostly because he had to relearn all of what and how I did it.

Lesson: sure you stuff will be cool. But not easily used by someone else. It will be used by someone else. The web itself is dynamic, your solution will have to evolve... you will do it or someone else will. Or someone will give up and load up WordPress and build a custom theme.

Now I stick to WordPress with custom themes and plugins. Makes handoff so much easier. A future developer can easily 'take over'.

my .073 cents ( inflation )

geekrew

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
The general approach to convert a site from static to CMS-driven is to take your current HTML and build one or more templates from them. You'd then create content sections or articles from the content of individual pages.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
1) Look up php session login tutorials to create your login.
2) Look up ContentEditable and include a flag to load the page with ContentEditable for admin and without for everyone else.
3) Finally add a little submit button for admin to update the page or use AJAX which is what I use. Makes updating easier that editing a word processor document.

OR you could use a CMS as mentioned. All sites grow in complexity over time. Might as well bite the bullet early to limit the help calls

That's how I do most of my sites. WordPress, with a ContentEditable front-end that the site 'admin' get to control. I keep access to the site design, actual WP backend, to only me. This keeps them from breaking it and calling me at 3am in a panic. I use wp_editor() functions for the content editable text areas, to give the clients a familiar interface to do updates.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Right on, 960design. :eek:

In my experience the best CMS's allow authorized users to edit content simply by clicking on context sensitive icons shown on the front end only to those users. For example, an edit link or icon that opens up a WYSIWYG editor or a quick link to the admin page normally used for editing that content type. The key point being then can edit in place and not have to visit a special admin back end page, search for the content and then edit. Superb recommendations there, 960design. Golf clap.

trenthanover

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
General approach to convert a site from static to CMS-driven is to take your current HTML and build one or more templates from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.