Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:22 PM   #51
technopimp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
Funny how that has changed now that apple doesn't have the best screen anymore.
Funny, I never said retina was #1 on my list for a tablet.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:46 PM   #52
hyteckit

Battery life?

Size?

Weight?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
Looking at the text examples on this web site; 440ppi is my new minimum standard for a hand-held device. They say perfect human eyesight max's out at 477ppi; 440 is close enough for me. The Mini only has 163ppi.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/440-p...arison_id36602
What phone or tablet do you have right now?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
Funny you should post that. Behind me, in my home office, is an old 720P 46" TV. My chair is 5-6 ft from the screen and I am unable to read the fine print you often see in car commercials. I have a 1080P 47" 3D TV upstairs and I can read the fine print from 10 ft away.
4K TV's are out.

Why are you still watching your 1080p TV?

You should toss your 720p TV out immediately.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:56 PM   #53
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
4K TV's are out.

Why are you still watching your 1080p TV?

You should toss your 720p TV out immediately.
Ha. Better yet resolution of a real life, breathing hottie is even more stunning... assuming one is sober, and it's free...well, OK, small cover charge some places. People like OP get a little too caught up in device resolution and PPI. As long as a device doesn't make ones eyeballs bleed they should be good.

iPad 3/4 is far less than 440ppi. I still think it looks fantastic and easy to read. The mini is obviously worse, but not horrible. The weight compensates.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:11 PM   #54
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a

I prefer to enjoy all the content that I've amassed over the last decade, rather than play with weather and clock widgets.
MisterDisney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:16 PM   #55
Namtaro
macrumors regular

I bought a Nexus 7 at the time because a 7inch Apple tablet were just rumors. I should've waited for Apple and not go for a Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 was fine.... until I touched a Mini. I wanted to buy it on the spot, but it was sold out.

Everything's better one it, the build quality (Aluminum means no creaking), apps, lag free, Apple's insanely impressive UI. Pretty much everything is better except for the PPI. The saturation is crap on the Nexus 7 compared to the Mini while the Mini's screen sharpness is only slightly worse. As long as reading books don't stain my eyes, it serves it's purpose for me.

Worst part about Android or Google is how they lock down their Books app. I thought Android was all about freedom, yet they make it more restrictive than Apple? Lol. I got a buyer for my Nexus 7 and now I'm just waiting for an Apple store to get a Mini in stock...
Namtaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:33 AM   #56
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaro View Post
Worst part about Android or Google is how they lock down their Books app. I thought Android was all about freedom, yet they make it more restrictive than Apple?
You're more than welcome to root your device and use any one of the other myriad eReaders. Or if that doesn't suit you, you can actually write your own.

Can't say the same thing about iOS.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:39 AM   #57
rever3nce
macrumors 6502a

how about everyone buys what they want, because they worked for their money and its their choice?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:15 AM   #58
VFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Ha. Better yet resolution of a real life, breathing hottie is even more stunning... assuming one is sober, and it's free...well, OK, small cover charge some places. People like OP get a little too caught up in device resolution and PPI. As long as a device doesn't make ones eyeballs bleed they should be good.

iPad 3/4 is far less than 440ppi. I still think it looks fantastic and easy to read. The mini is obviously worse, but not horrible. The weight compensates.
I agree, who needs 440ppi now that 500ppi is out. Same company also showcased a 650ppi display (4x the pixel density of the mini).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1492319

Last edited by VFC; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:27 PM   #59
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816

Not everyone has a high visual acuity to clearly discern retina vs non retina. Some people don't see colors as vibrant as others do, they see them washed out but don't know it. Are these people inferior? No, they just see the world differently. I can tell the difference between 1080 and 720 absolutely but I enjoy spotting the difference and visuals are very important to me in technology. With that said, I respect people who do not place a high value in a display, it's juts not important to them.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:43 PM   #60
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rever3nce View Post
how about everyone buys what they want, because they worked for their money and its their choice?
Yes, I agree with you. I don't see why a preference for a smaller sized Apple-ecosystem tablet has been greeted by some people with scorn, or by claims that people who post that they're enjoying the iPad mini are just posting a "defense" of their purchase.

How is a post that confirms satisfaction with an iPad mini a "defense" of the purchase? It's more like a favorable review. Or it used to be called that before it became fashionable to bash people for liking what they had bought!

I can hardly wait for when this fad of bashing personal choice in the marketplace comes to a supermarket near me. Will make for wonderful cartoons, people bashing each over the head with boxes of pasta or assorted varieties of produce.

Whatever happened to live and let live?
LizKat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:22 PM   #61
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
I dare you to see the visual difference between a 47" HDTV @1080p vs @720p from a viewing distance of at least 6+ feet. You will not be able to tell the difference. If you are able to, then nothing on this planet will satisfy you. That's just too bad....FOR YOU!
Bad example. I find that 46"+ display size, one can easily spot the difference between 720p and 1080p at the viewing distance of ~8ft.

However, one would be hard pressed to be able to discern individual pixels (for 1080p) at those distances, especially while viewing dynamic content. So, unless your smartphone usage scenario involves pressing the display against your eyeball, more than 350ppi is overkill.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:13 PM   #62
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
right. Like how I can see my iPhone 5's 4" screen is much superior to that of any 47" 1080p HDTV
Um.. what??
KAB2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:37 AM   #63
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
Funny, I never said retina was #1 on my list for a tablet.
I was speaking in general terms on this forum, not you specifically. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad