Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinwah02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Hello there, I have a 08 Mac Pro with a 2600 display card. (Sorry that can't remember the exact model no...) I was running it tonight and suddenly some checkers appears throughout my screen and I couldn't do anything. I was forced to power it off and on again. But after some seconds, the problem appears again and now, it appears even on the boot screen and remains unchanged. Attached is the screen. Is it the problem of the display card?? If I have to replace one, is it worth and ok to have 5770 right from that apple store for AE and FCPX? I'm waiting for the 2013 mac pro, so a bit hesitated to invest more on this Mac now like the 5870.... I'm still running snow leopard. Many many thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I would say that your card is dead. Apple did have a recall for your card (Radeon HD2600XT) in the US that expired last year:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3630

My advice, get a new card. You should be able to get a PC Radeon 6870 and flash it pretty easily to Show the boot screen.

Lou

kinwah02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Thanks for your idea. Sorry that I don't know how to flash it... Should I just buy a 6870, install it and then it'll work without boot screen? And then I just learn to 'flash' it to show the boot screen? Is is correct?? Many thanks!!

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Unless you want to get the original card that came with your 2008 Mac Pro, you would be better off getting the Radeon 5770 or 5870.. Get the 5870 if you plan on gaming and need that extra boost in performance under bootcamp.

5770 is a nice card, a little dated, but does the job for basic video graphics and then some.

Thanks for your idea. Sorry that I don't know how to flash it... Should I just buy a 6870, install it and then it'll work without boot screen? And then I just learn to 'flash' it to show the boot screen? Is is correct?? Many thanks!!

kinwah02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Thanks! I had a big problem in getting the standard 6 pin to mini 6 pin cable on the market today for the PC Card ... So I have ordered 5770 from apple online store. Hope it is really the card problem and can solve it right after I got the card. And I'm wondering will this card help in AE & FCP7 and X rendering? I mean the GPU. Thanks again!

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Thanks! I had a big problem in getting the standard 6 pin to mini 6 pin cable on the market today for the PC Card ... So I have ordered 5770 from apple online store. Hope it is really the card problem and can solve it right after I got the card. And I'm wondering will this card help in AE & FCP7 and X rendering? I mean the GPU. Thanks again!

Not really. You would have been better off with a Nvidia GTX 570 (you'd need to flash it for bootscreens), because Nvidia have CUDA which helps in AE & FCP7

kinwah02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I just don't know how to flash the card... I heard that GTX580/570 is good. Just couldn't find the cable here or I'll have to order it from the Internet. Probably take a while to reach my hand... And also don't know if the card just work right after installing on 10.6.8?? Even though without boot screen. Do I need to download driver or anything before installing? Obviously, my Mac is without any display card now and I can't see what it's doing when powering on... Sorry for my lack of knowledge on these issues...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Buy a card you don't have to flash, save yourself the headache.

Before buying, unless you already did, can you plug the MP into another display? That would be my very first step.

kinwah02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
You are right. I had a headache today in searching the cable... So just ordered 5770 directly from apple in the end. I don't have a second display with me unluckily.... Thanks for your advice.

tB0nE

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
The bootscreen isn't really that important, you really only need it if something goes wrong. I tried flashing a 6850, but the bugs and the ports not working with it wasn't worth it.

I put in a GTX660 in my 2008 Mac Pro and it has been running fine. I use bootchamp and bootcamp to switch between OS'. Of course, if something does go wrong, you will need to use a card that can show the boot screen. For the price of the 5870 you can get from apple, you can get a cheap mac card second hand and then buy a modern GPU like the 6XXX series or a kepler card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.