Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:21 PM   #126
b_scott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
Are you kidding me? I drop my phone way too often to justify going without a case. That isn't an option for the majority of iPhone users. I always go thin profile, but it's still a problem.
maybe be more careful with a $700 device?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
you need a 35 1.4L
I used to have a 24 1.4 and I didn't use it enough.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Funny enough, yes. I use it A LOT. When I'm in class, when I don't want to be bothered, and when I'm out shopping/having dinner or whatever.
I just keep mine on silent unless I'm in my house. It's less annoying.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:50 PM   #127
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
Even the Sony, Pentax & Nikon users?

I think you're in the wrong fora.
no just meant him haha based on his sig - mark II user. he had an 85 and a 50. i personally would prefer a 35 before an 85. but thats just me being a bit random

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
You are really bad at conversation.
dont hold back
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:16 PM   #128
ClaytonK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Why in god's name would you want to yield to these kinds of intrusive capabilities? There is no way the public would allow forced control of their ringer.
I said 'request', right? It could even be a safety issue if they actually forced your phone to not ring.
ClaytonK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:21 PM   #129
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I just keep mine on silent unless I'm in my house. It's less annoying.
Even at home, I often keep it on silent because I don't want my boss to call me early morning when I sleep and not supposed to be on shift.

Where iOS misses it is in automating the ringing behavior when the mute switch is turned to "let it ring", but that we don't want to be bothered anyway.

I think it would be rather easy to automatically switch profiles according to what is set in iCal (or if nothing is set, from what you set as "day start", "day end", keeping a list of numbers allowed to call during off-hours (very close friends, for example), and let the voicemailbox take care of the other ones. Heck, even some Nokias, not exactly the cutting edge of mobile technology, had it.

On the other hand, "day end" must be a more flexible setting in iCal. For example I consider my day to be over at 3AM, not midnight.
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:04 PM   #130
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonK View Post
I said 'request', right? It could even be a safety issue if they actually forced your phone to not ring.
You did at that. (Read your post again).
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:54 PM   #131
b_scott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubytus View Post
Even at home, I often keep it on silent because I don't want my boss to call me early morning when I sleep and not supposed to be on shift.

Where iOS misses it is in automating the ringing behavior when the mute switch is turned to "let it ring", but that we don't want to be bothered anyway.

I think it would be rather easy to automatically switch profiles according to what is set in iCal (or if nothing is set, from what you set as "day start", "day end", keeping a list of numbers allowed to call during off-hours (very close friends, for example), and let the voicemailbox take care of the other ones. Heck, even some Nokias, not exactly the cutting edge of mobile technology, had it.

On the other hand, "day end" must be a more flexible setting in iCal. For example I consider my day to be over at 3AM, not midnight.
I almost never use my iphone as a phone - but doesn't iOS6 have a DND function?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:37 AM   #132
juannacho
macrumors regular

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is that if you totally ignore the actual usability pros/cons there is the simple fact that a row of 3 push buttons will definitely be cheaper to manufacture.

Whether that's to be taken as some insidious 'drop in focus on quality' from Apple or whatever is another question...
juannacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:43 AM   #133
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyapple View Post
I'm SICK of leaks. I want it like the old days, where we had no clue what was going to happen with the next gen iDevice. I HATE leaks on Apple products.
Then you must be new here. This site was founded on there being leaks buddy. Best stop visiting.

---------
I would hope the phone isn't thinner. That would be ridiculous.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:39 PM   #134
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I almost never use my iphone as a phone - but doesn't iOS6 have a DND function?
Indeed, a while after posting here, I saw there is actually a basic DND function. I set mine up to not disturb between 1AM and 11AM, but would have appreciated a per contact DND customization. Even if I don't want any boss to ring before 11AM, I am always there for friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juannacho View Post
One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is that if you totally ignore the actual usability pros/cons there is the simple fact that a row of 3 push buttons will definitely be cheaper to manufacture.

Whether that's to be taken as some insidious 'drop in focus on quality' from Apple or whatever is another question...
It would, but I highly doubt Apple would pass those savings to customers. Maybe these parts would be for the rumored lower cost iPhone?

But not having to unlock the screen to mute the phone by software is really nice. I just thought of that remembering my Nokia N8.
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:26 AM   #135
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
A dedicated shutter button right next to the volume up button that can already act as a shutter release? Unless it has a pre-focus function, that would be completely pointless.
Not if it allows you to press it to wake right to the camera then press again to capture while pressing the volume buttons allows you to change the volume while the device is locked those functions would be very distinct and useful
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:39 PM   #136
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Not if it allows you to press it to wake right to the camera then press again to capture while pressing the volume buttons allows you to change the volume while the device is locked those functions would be very distinct and useful
My old WinMo phones had a button that brought it right into the camera mode. It was more annoying than useful, as it would be constantly tripped by accident.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:41 AM   #137
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
My old WinMo phones had a button that brought it right into the camera mode. It was more annoying than useful, as it would be constantly tripped by accident.
you must have been holding it wrong
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:38 PM   #138
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Phone since launch day, completely unscathed, no case. If you take care of yourself and don't have your phone out when it could get smashed out of your hand ( ?) it will be fine..
***** happens man.
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion