Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I deleted all the photos in the iPhoto, then cleaned the trash bin of iPhoto, however, the photo/iPhoto photolibrary file size still more than 200G. So I deleted the photolibrary file, and clean the system trash bin. The disk space still did not free up that 200G space.

Can anyone tell me how to free that 200G disk space?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
How are you verifying free space? Occasionally the Finder lags a bit in updating how much free space you have, but third-party programs tend to be even worse. If you're using a third-party program to verify free space, there's also the chance that the deleted files are now being marked as local backups; third-party programs do not view this as free space but the Finder does, since Finder will delete the backups over time and overwrite them if other data needs the space. In that case, it is essentially free space.

One other possibility is that you're suffering file system corruption and the system can't accurate gauge free space. Run Disk Utility and "verify disk" on the partition that housed your photo library. If there's corruption then fix it. If the corruption exists on your operating system drive then you will need to reboot into recovery mode and run Disk Utility from there to make the repair.

oldguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
How are you verifying free space? Occasionally the Finder lags a bit in updating how much free space you have, but third-party programs tend to be even worse. If you're using a third-party program to verify free space, there's also the chance that the deleted files are now being marked as local backups; third-party programs do not view this as free space but the Finder does, since Finder will delete the backups over time and overwrite them if other data needs the space. In that case, it is essentially free space.

One other possibility is that you're suffering file system corruption and the system can't accurate gauge free space. Run Disk Utility and "verify disk" on the partition that housed your photo library. If there's corruption then fix it. If the corruption exists on your operating system drive then you will need to reboot into recovery mode and run Disk Utility from there to make the repair.

Thanks, I have rebooted into the recovery mode, and run/fixed the disk problem. Same diskspace as before.
The disk space issue has been two days, so it must not be the Finder lagging issue.

Any good filesize tool recommended? Like the Treesize under Windows.

oldguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I think I found the problem: Time machine created the local backup at disk

see this post

I used next command to disable the local backup.
sudo tmutil disablelocal

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks, I have rebooted into the recovery mode, and run/fixed the disk problem. Same diskspace as before.
The disk space issue has been two days, so it must not be the Finder lagging issue.

Any good filesize tool recommended? Like the Treesize under Windows.

One of the reasons I hate iPhoto...Did you make sure to delete the "originals" folder? It keeps a copy of all your pictures in there, and, AFAIK, doesn't delete them when you clear the library.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I think I found the problem: Time machine created the local backup at disk
As I wrote above, the local backups aren't truly used space. Third-party programs that try to analyze the disk space or looking at disk space in the "About this Mac" pane will show the space as being used, but the Finder should not. The reason is because the Finder will automatically delete and overwrite the local backups as needed. However, deleting those backups can be useful if you're using a SSD, as having more free space (truly free space) allows for better wear-leveling, which improves the longevity of the SSD.

oldguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
As I wrote above, the local backups aren't truly used space. Third-party programs that try to analyze the disk space or looking at disk space in the "About this Mac" pane will show the space as being used, but the Finder should not. The reason is because the Finder will automatically delete and overwrite the local backups as needed. However, deleting those backups can be useful if you're using a SSD, as having more free space (truly free space) allows for better wear-leveling, which improves the longevity of the SSD.

Thanks for sharing, buddy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.