Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Depends where you live. I live in New Jersey where we were affected by the storm and the towers still don't work right. I'm glad I have a 64gb model. I love cloud hosting but if I had a 16gb I barley would have had anything on my phone. My tomtom app takes 2-3gb alone.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
eh cloud hosting never really did anything to me. To me it's just for backup. app downloads are synced with your ID, I don't buy music from iTunes or videos, and I don't have people on photostream. Btw does anyone know when angry birds will be updated for iPhone 5?

cabingirl

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2006
I had a 16GB iPhone 4 and it was plenty until I started listening to podcasts that updated multiple times a week. Also, audiobooks take up alot of room. I went for the 32GB iPhone 5 for those reasons (I didn't see them specifically mentioned in the thread so I just wanted to point them out as space hogs)

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
use Audiogalaxy to stream music from your home collection instead of storing it on the phone

i have a 16 and i would like to have more storage for pics/vids/apps (i have a LOT of apps)

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
ive had 16GB on all my iPhones so far and survived just fine

i currently have 80 Apps, 61 Pictures and 591 Songs on my iPhone and still 6,1 GB left

i'm not much of a picture whore tho and the pictures i do take sync to my dropbox almost immediately so i can delete them off my device

having enough free space is also one of many OCDs of mine, i can't sleep when my iPhone drops below 5GB, my iPad below 10 GB or my Mac below 50 GB (on a 128 GB SSD) lmao
This is a shining example of why I need 32gbs.. I don't wanna sit and count every photo I take. Besides.. Having to fetch the photos from Dropbox every time you need to show your friend something seems to me as a waste of time...

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I think 16gb is fine unless you want to carry a ton of movies and ur entire massive high res photo library with you. Personally I have a 60 apps, 4gb of music and still have 6.5gb of space left which will let me carry around a couple of movies for trips or what not. I still haven't touched my iCloud storage.

eeguh

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I don't have a whole lot of music saved on the iPhone and I don't carry any movies. I don't really find myself listening to music from iPhone that much. I don't play any games on it, either. I mostly just use it to make phone calls, text, and to browse on the internet (facebook, apps), etc. Don't have a lot of apps either. Yea, I'm pretty boring. lol

I have roughly 10 GB of space left and I don't think it'll change much other than some additional apps I may download in the future. So 16 GB is more than enough for me. :)

On a side note, I thought about getting the 32 GB version but I decided to use that extra 100 bucks to get the AppleCare+ instead. :)

Redsew

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I have a 16GB IPhone and wish I had more gb space on it. Reason behind this is that I manage a lot of documents on the go and when I'm bored I like to play games on my phone. I am also really social so I have the most known social networking apps on my phone and I have more than 3 texting services.
I had to compress my music down to 128kbp and that leaves me about 5gb of space so I uploaded all my movies onto a cloud database and now in up to abou 6.8 gb....
I require Internet to use the cloud service so when I watch a movie off of 3G it will drain my battery more than just watching a movie from the native video app.
It's your choice, but it's best not to struggle as I am haha.
My next phone probably be a 32gb or maybe go further than that to 64gb.
Hope this helps :)

mandark100

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
India
I think 32gb is more ideal than 16gb. Not because it is double but because of it's not as less as 16gb and also not much as 64gb But most of all it's you who have to decide which you wanna buy.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
This is a shining example of why I need 32gbs.. I don't wanna sit and count every photo I take. Besides.. Having to fetch the photos from Dropbox every time you need to show your friend something seems to me as a waste of time...

dropbox does it by itself and like i said, i barely take pictures in the first place

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
use Audiogalaxy to stream music from your home collection instead of storing it on the phone

i have a 16 and i would like to have more storage for pics/vids/apps (i have a LOT of apps)

I've tried that and it's ok. If you have a laptop with pets, it's not the best idea also. We now have a Mac Mini and both my wife and I combined our music on it and I'm thinking about trying this again. My issue is I use data, the battery turns to crap.. and that's when i even get signal on a job site. My wife would be ok because she can do this with her iPod Touch and she's on WiFi all day.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I also knew that I'd never use more than 16G, so used the extra $100 to purchase AC+. Right now my iPhone is slightly more than half full. I don't habitually carry very much music, don't take a lot of pictures, and have only a moderate collection of apps. Also, I do also own a 160G iPod Classic, which could easily handle any overflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.