Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I called Apple with my questions but the Senior Level Support rep didn't even know the answer. Maybe one of you can help. Here goes:

Here's what I want to do: I want to be able to play all types of streaming internet video content from my iPhone 5 on my HDTV at home. Basically I'd like to mirror my iP5 onto my TV.

First my setup: I do not have broadband or DSL internet service at home. Instead I have an unlimited data plan (Verizon) and unlimited hotspot service on my iP5. With the LTE service, tethering other devices to my IP5 is meeting my needs.

Back to my issue. I understand I have about 3 options to stream video content onto TV:
1) Using a cable, connect my TV to another device (like my old iPhone 4S), which is tethered to my iP5 via hotspot. This is what I'm doing right now, but my problem is that I still get some buffering, etc. My download speeds are significantly slower using the iP 4s via hotspot VS. using the iP5 directly. This has made me want to figure out how to just run my fast iP5 directly to the TV.

2) Connect iP5 to TV with Lightning to HDMI cable. Major problem with this setup is that not all internet video content on iP5 supports video out capability (using cable to TV). BTW, this is also a problem with my setup in #1 above. I would basically like to mirror onto the TV all the video content and fast download speeds that I get on my iP5. This leads me to my next option & question, which stumped the Apple techs.

3) Mirror video content from iP5 to TV using Apple TV via AirPlay. Before buying an Apple TV, here are my questions:
- Can I mirror iP5 to ATV using only the wireless internet-hotspot on my iP5? Again, I don't have broadband internet at home, & all the stuff I read about on ATV assumes you have a wi-if Internet setup which is separate from the devices that are using Airplay/mirroring. In my case, the Internet is accessed through the iP5 itself, which is what I want to mirror to the ATV. The Apple techs could not answer this question for me (they just told me buy it & try it).
- If it ends up that I can do this, would I still face buffering issues with the ATV as it wirelessly receives content from the iP5? In other words, does the mirroring process mean that I will have slower download speeds (& buffering problems) with the ATV vs. if I was just running a cable straight from the iP5 to the TV? I'm just not sure how mirroring works between Apple devices.

If anybody has any experience or advice on this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My advice is the Apple TV. I think you are correct in your fears, it does need external wifi to work as far as I know. (I've never tried, but I'm basing that opinion on this thread I found online.)

But that just means you need to buy a wireless router which is a 1-time cost. I'd say it's worth the price to get this working.

An Apple Airport Express will do the job, but there are certainly much cheaper options out there. (I like the Airport Express because you can configure it from your iPhone itself....if you get a cheaper router you'll have to plug it into a computer with ethernet to set it up initially.)

You will still find there are apps that won't output video this way, but it's because those apps are prohibited from doing this by their contracts with the content providers. In other words, they're actively fighting to make sure you can't share the video, so you probably won't find a way around it, either with cables or with wireless.

- - - - - -

Doing that (a router creating wifi) allows the basic task: Streaming the iPhone to the TV, which is what you asked for.

The next question becomes: Can you use the Apple TV's built in apps? (Like Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube.)

My suspicion is that you COULD create an iPhone hotspot and link the Apple TV to it for that purpose.

So you'll be in a situation where you have to connect the Apple TV to one router if you want to share the phone's screen and then switch it to another hotspot network if you want to use the ATV's apps.

I think. This is all pretty theoretical, I've never tried ANY of this stuff in this way myself!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I have tested iPhone hotspot for mirroring to ATV3, it does work!

Cool. Thanks for the report. I kept finding info that says it doesn't, but most of those sites seem to be old. This may be a recent addition.

That simplifies things for sure and makes me even more willing to suggest the ATV to the OP.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I have tested iPhone hotspot for mirroring to ATV3, it does work!

Interesting! Ok I have a couple of questions for you then:

- Do you have the same type internet setup I am describing?: No broadband but instead using LTE service through iP5 (& hotspot)?

- Do you encounter slower download speeds (and buffering) when you are mirroring the iP5 onto the TV via ATV? I mean, would the speeds essentially be the same as my setup #1 above, where I am playing video content on my TV from my iP 4s thru a video-out cable (while using internet thru the hotspot on my iP5)?

- Is there any video content that displays on the iP5 itself that cannot be mirrored to the TV through the ATV?

Let me give an example: On my iP5 this past Saturday, I was streaming the SEC championship game on CBS through the CBS Sports App. I could also stream it on the iP 4s using the same App while connected to the hotspot on my iP5. However, when I connected my iP 4s to my TV using the video out cable, the game would not play on the TV (I only got audio). Here is a case where I wanted my TV to mirror exactly what's on my iP5. Can it be done? Or would mirroring via AirPlay thru ATV create the same video restrictions so that I still would not be able to watch the game that way?

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Interesting! Ok I have a couple of questions for you then:

- Do you have the same type internet setup I am describing?: No broadband but instead using LTE service through iP5 (& hotspot)?

- Do you encounter slower download speeds (and buffering) when you are mirroring the iP5 onto the TV via ATV? I mean, would the speeds essentially be the same as my setup #1 above, where I am playing video content on my TV from my iP 4s thru a video-out cable (while using internet thru the hotspot on my iP5)?

- Is there any video content that displays on the iP5 itself that cannot be mirrored to the TV through the ATV?

Let me give an example: On my iP5 this past Saturday, I was streaming the SEC championship game on CBS through the CBS Sports App. I could also stream it on the iP 4s using the same App while connected to the hotspot on my iP5. However, when I connected my iP 4s to my TV using the video out cable, the game would not play on the TV (I only got audio). Here is a case where I wanted my TV to mirror exactly what's on my iP5. Can it be done? Or would mirroring via AirPlay thru ATV create the same video restrictions so that I still would not be able to watch the game that way?

I had no problem using AppleTv for airplay through my router when my internet connection went off this past weekend. I know the WatchESPN app works perfectly for streaming live video and you do not lose any video.

Amazon Video, HBOGO, and MAXGO all will not airplay to the AppleTv. I have not tried with the CBS App, but I can try it when I get home and see if it will airplay.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
My advice is the Apple TV. I think you are correct in your fears, it does need external wifi to work as far as I know. (I've never tried, but I'm basing that opinion on this thread I found online.)

But that just means you need to buy a wireless router which is a 1-time cost. I'd say it's worth the price to get this working.

An Apple Airport Express will do the job, but there are certainly much cheaper options out there. (I like the Airport Express because you can configure it from your iPhone itself....if you get a cheaper router you'll have to plug it into a computer with ethernet to set it up initially.)

You will still find there are apps that won't output video this way, but it's because those apps are prohibited from doing this by their contracts with the content providers. In other words, they're actively fighting to make sure you can't share the video, so you probably won't find a way around it, either with cables or with wireless.

- - - - - -

Doing that (a router creating wifi) allows the basic task: Streaming the iPhone to the TV, which is what you asked for.

The next question becomes: Can you use the Apple TV's built in apps? (Like Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube.)

My suspicion is that you COULD create an iPhone hotspot and link the Apple TV to it for that purpose.

So you'll be in a situation where you have to connect the Apple TV to one router if you want to share the phone's screen and then switch it to another hotspot network if you want to use the ATV's apps.

I think. This is all pretty theoretical, I've never tried ANY of this stuff in this way myself!

Totally agree, hell, even buying a VGA/HDMI/Whatever cable and hooking the computer up would be a better option (have you thought about this one OP?) Regardless, the Apple TV should fit your needs and can also be jailbroken if you desire to handle more formats, apps, etc.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Totally agree, hell, even buying a VGA/HDMI/Whatever cable and hooking the computer up would be a better option (have you thought about this one OP?) Regardless, the Apple TV should fit your needs and can also be jailbroken if you desire to handle more formats, apps, etc.

Yeah last night I was wondering about the laptop-cable-TV option that you mentioned here. I've done that setup in the past (at a different residence) when I had superfast cable internet. I have an older Dell (with relatively slower processing speed) but it worked fairly well. Now for internet I just have the LTE throught the iP5 hotspot. Problem is that my laptop streams at a snails pace & buffers horribly when connected to the hotspot. That's why I am wanting to utilize my iP5 into the TV as directly as possible, either via cable or mirroring. Again, I know very little about how mirroring works. It sounds like I will just have to get the ATV & try it. I can always return it if it won't work for me. I just feel like there is some way to achieve what I want but I'm trying to figure out the right setup to get the job done.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah last night I was wondering about the laptop-cable-TV option that you mentioned here. I've done that setup in the past (at a different residence) when I had superfast cable internet. I have an older Dell (with relatively slower processing speed) but it worked fairly well. Now for internet I just have the LTE throught the iP5 hotspot. Problem is that my laptop streams at a snails pace & buffers horribly when connected to the hotspot. That's why I am wanting to utilize my iP5 into the TV as directly as possible, either via cable or mirroring. Again, I know very little about how mirroring works. It sounds like I will just have to get the ATV & try it. I can always return it if it won't work for me. I just feel like there is some way to achieve what I want but I'm trying to figure out the right setup to get the job done.

Just curious, is there a reason you don't have home internet? I'm just thinking that you still may have buffering issues since you still have to connect the ATV to the hotspot to connect your phone (or computer).

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Just curious, is there a reason you don't have home internet? I'm just thinking that you still may have buffering issues since you still have to connect the ATV to the hotspot to connect your phone (or computer).

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate. Actually where I live, internet options are very limited: AT&T Uverse at a whopping download speed of way under 1 Mbps (like .3 or so). Knowing this, the local cable co. charges an obscene amount for average speed cable internet - no promotional rate or anything.

I'm already paying $30/mo to Verizon for unlimited 4g LTE service, which works fairly well from my home (averaging 5-10 Mbps). I added hotspot to my iP5 so I could connect other devices to Internet (whether at home, in the car, etc). BTW, I get a 20% discount on my Verizon bill for both data & hotspot, so it's WAY cheaper & more logical for me to have internet this way than thru cable internet in the home. I'm not a gamer or anything, but I do want to expand my options and speed for streaming online video content (hence the post).

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
OK, a lot of the stuff I've seen online (relating to how to connect iphone to ATV) seems to point to the fact that a LAN w/router is needed to make this work, as a couple of you have mentioned already. I can't help but wonder why though, because it seems redundant to have to set up a router when I already have a direct wireless connection from the iphone to the ATV via the hotspot. In other words, this seems uncharacteristic of Apple to make it this tedious. If I have a hotspot enabled iPhone, the Apple TV should just be able to communicate directly with the iPhone through that hotspot, right? I mean, the hotspot should function as the LAN, so to speak, right?

stormtrooper1966 above said it worked, but that is the 1st & only source that I've seen - I was hoping that poster would verify their setup (no cable internet, just wireless internet through phone w/hotspot).

For those who have set up the LAN w/router, how did you do it? How does the setup go? I get the ATV to the router, but how does the router connect to the iPhone (& hotspot) to complete the network, access the Internet (via the hotspot), etc.? Pardon my ignorance but I've just never done it before?

What equipment worked for you? I saw a couple of posts online saying that Airport Express was spotty & not reliable (but that could always be user error).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If I have a hotspot enabled iPhone, the Apple TV should just be able to communicate directly with the iPhone through that hotspot, right? I mean, the hotspot should function as the LAN, so to speak, right?

Not necessarily. The function of the hotspot is to share internet, not to create a network for sharing files or printing our whatever. Once the internet part gets through there's no guarantee that Apple programmed ANY other LAN functions into the hotspot.

I mean, maybe they did, but I'm just saying that's not needed at all for what the hotspot feature is supposed to be.

Getting on the internet and getting into a LAN are 2 different things, in other words, and the 'hotspot' feature only advertises one of those things.

For those who have set up the LAN w/router, how did you do it? How does the setup go? I get the ATV to the router, but how does the router connect to the iPhone (& hotspot) to complete the network, access the Internet (via the hotspot), etc.? Pardon my ignorance but I've just never done it before

If you get an Apple router just plug it in to the wall and nothing else. Then, get the Airport Setup app on your phone. Use that to log in and name the network and give it a password.

After that, use the dinky little Apple TV remote to get the Apple TV logged into the network. Once you've done that, get the Apple Remote app on the phone and pair that with the Apple TV and throw the stupid little remote in a drawer. Just control the Apple TV with that.

~ ~ ~ ~

This is all assuming the hotspot thing doesn't work. If it does then use the same list but just skip the "buy and plug in router" part.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Not necessarily. The function of the hotspot is to share internet, not to create a network for sharing files or printing our whatever. Once the internet part gets through there's no guarantee that Apple programmed ANY other LAN functions into the hotspot.

I mean, maybe they did, but I'm just saying that's not needed at all for what the hotspot feature is supposed to be.

Getting on the internet and getting into a LAN are 2 different things, in other words, and the 'hotspot' feature only advertises one of those things.

If you get an Apple router just plug it in to the wall and nothing else. Then, get the Airport Setup app on your phone. Use that to log in and name the network and give it a password.

After that, use the dinky little Apple TV remote to get the Apple TV logged into the network. Once you've done that, get the Apple Remote app on the phone and pair that with the Apple TV and throw the stupid little remote in a drawer. Just control the Apple TV with that.

~ ~ ~ ~

This is all assuming the hotspot thing doesn't work. If it does then use the same list but just skip the "buy and plug in router" part.

Ok thanks for your explanation under the first part. I think I understand the hotspot vs LAN aspect better the way you put it. Again, I am surprised though that Apple would not somehow roll the hotspot feature into other sharing capabilities (like what is capable over a LAN). Is the technology not there for that or something? (I doubt that). I guess they want you to buy yet one more piece of equipment...

Ok, now the second part of your reply. I'm trying to understand exactly how these connections work. I gather that the ATV is communicating with the iphone through the router/LAN, and that the ATV is also connecting to the hotspot's Internet through the router too. But how does the router connect to the iPhone? How is this connection possible? Is it basically setting up a wireless bridge from the router to the iPhone 5 hotspot? If so, then that's just a one-way connection - by that I mean that the router is getting internet connection from iPhone but iPhone is not getting any kind of info from router (I mean it can't, right? If iPhone is connected to LAN using wifi signal, then it can't simultaneously be connected to LTE network, right? The phone is either on a wifi network or the LTE network, but not both at the same time.)

So given all this, how does this iphone send and receive data with the ATV? I understand d how it can send data, but how does it receive data (can't the iphone play what's on the ATV simultaneously through AirPlay?). Sorry, I'm just trying to understand all this.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
stormtrooper1966 above said it worked, but that is the 1st & only source that I've seen - I was hoping that poster would verify their setup (no cable internet, just wireless internet through phone w/hotspot).

When I get home in a few hours I can test this out for you.

My setup will be Apple TV connected to iPhone 5 via Hotspot and then I will attempt to connect my iPad to Apple TV via AirPlay mirroring using the Hotspot network.

Will report back asap.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
When I get home in a few hours I can test this out for you.

My setup will be Apple TV connected to iPhone 5 via Hotspot and then I will attempt to connect my iPad to Apple TV via AirPlay mirroring using the Hotspot network.

Will report back asap.

Yeah! Looking forward to what you find out...

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Yeah! Looking forward to what you find out...

Alright so iPhone cellular hotspot definitely enables you to run an Apple TV and additional iOS device on the hotspot network. AirPlay works fast with no stuttering or buffering. iPhone 5 on LTE connection of 50Mbps down 25Mbps up, iPad 2 and Apple TV 2 connected via that network.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Alright so iPhone cellular hotspot definitely enables you to run an Apple TV and additional iOS device on the hotspot network. AirPlay works fast with no stuttering or buffering. iPhone 5 on LTE connection of 50Mbps down 25Mbps up, iPad 2 and Apple TV 2 connected via that network.

HUGE thanks for trying this out & reporting. Saves me from having to buy the Airport Express. 1 quick clarification: When you said the hotspot enables you to run ATV & 1 other iOS device (iPad 2), the other device (iPad 2) is irrelevant to making the setup work, right? I will just be using the iP5 and the ATV, streaming content from phone to ATV.

----------

BTW, Can you connect your iPad 2 with the ATV through this hotspot network - in other words, can you mirror content from your iPad 2 to your ATV over this hotspot network?

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
HUGE thanks for trying this out & reporting. Saves me from having to buy the Airport Express. 1 quick clarification: When you said the hotspot enables you to run ATV & 1 other iOS device (iPad 2), the other device (iPad 2) is irrelevant to making the setup work, right? I will just be using the iP5 and the ATV, streaming content from phone to ATV.

----------

BTW, Can you connect your iPad 2 with the ATV through this hotspot network - in other words, can you mirror content from your iPad 2 to your ATV over this hotspot network?

It works in either scenario..

iPhone to ATV and iPad via iPhone to ATV.. AirPlay and mirroring

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.