Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I don't think you'll get as much back on the 1st gen rMBP than you will if you tried to re-sell a 2nd or 3rd rMBP.

Like somebody else mentioned, the image retention issue of the 1st gen is going to have a negative impact on the resale value, unless you happen to find somebody that either doesn't care about it, or doesn't know about it. (better chances of somebody not knowing about it, though, because if you know about it, you're probably going to care once you see it ... it looks pretty bad when you see it in person.)

Add to this the fact that in 3 years, AppleCare will be expired for it. I would expect to see it in the range of between $500-$800, depending on its condition at the time.

Sliding scale of value, but basically this:

- < $500 if it's for parts because it's not functional or has significant damage ... basically for parts.

- $500 if it powers on, and is usable, but has some scratches, no original box, still has original battery, and/or no AC adapter.

- $800 if it's in like new condition, has original box, AC adapter, and has a relatively new battery (less than a year old.)

I wouldn't pay anything more than that.

Also, I highly suspect that in 3 years time, all of the MacBook Pro's available will have Retina displays, and there may very well be some 2nd Gen ones on the re-sale market for decent prices as well, that could potentially still have a year of AppleCare left on them in some cases ... those I would expect to see re-selling for around $1000 (maybe a bit more if they still have AppleCare,) depending on their configuration.

Last edited:

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Sure you have some arsenal at your disposal, that will make apple happy. On serious note it is a great ideal to keep the machines at hand, my next venture is get a mac mini.

That's just all that'll fit, they should be happy! Not that I'm a pack-rat, but you never know when something old will release new value. We recently unearthed my sister's old Mac SE & Imagewriter II from my dad's attic. It was a pleasure firing it up and showing the children what old computers were like. Back in those days I was an Amiga guy, but times do change.

Aug 5, 2012
I think you were the one being rude. No one really cares what you earn or what lifestyle your earnings afford you, or whether or not you think someone else can afford an rMBP just because they're trying to gather information about potential resale value.

And spending a few thousand here or there certainly does require SOME degree of calculation for anyone. There are plenty of alternate things that you might otherwise do with that same few thousand or others of your earnings, including possibly help your housekeeper's son get a better education. Not saying that that you are under any obligation to do that just because you seem to think that you earn a lot of money (and what is a lot of money anyway - I'm pretty sure that we'll have different perceptions as to how that's defined), just saying that ALL spending requires some thought about potential alternative uses, calculation as to what the preferred use may be, and some estimation of the value of the purchased object both now and in the future. Why criticize someone else for doing that, particularly if it's rooted in a need for you to either imply or directly tell people that you "earn a lot of money," whatever that means to you?

That's just sad.

And don't think this is a diatribe against wealth or people with it. I value the contributions of the wealthy in our society enormously (and by contributions I don't mean their charity, I mean the productivity which earned them their wealth in the first place). I just grew up believing that flaunting your wealth either implicitly or explicitly is in poor taste, mostly because it's stupid.

Oh dear, you just dont want to understand. I feel sorry for you.

Please do not contact me again, including private messages.

Have a nice day

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Oh dear, you just dont want to understand. I feel sorry for you.

Please do not contact me again, including private messages.

Have a nice day

You must be mistaken, I never contacted you.

Take as much pity as you like, just stick to trying to be helpful on the forums instead of chastising people for asking good questions. In the end that's really all this discussion was about.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Should i wait til 3 years before getting the retina then?

OP, just buy the machine if you desire to own it and have the money. Just live your live.

If I wouldn't purchase my rMBP because I'm afraid it won't be worth as much when I sell it or if I would be extremely anal with using my iPhone because I'm afraid scratches will effect resale value... Man, then I don't enjoy my equipment.

Sometimes I think people (like you) ask questions just to be dumb, but I get this is how society is developing. People can't even think for themselves anymore.

Buy, enjoy, and keep or sell afterwards.

If you only buy an rMBP to brag about but secretly worry about the fact that it will cost you a lot of money, then don't.

I buy my rMBP, iPhone 5 or iPad Mini and use them. The moment I purchased them, I acknowledged that the money was spent. Resale value is nice, but not something you should base anything on. I also tend to keep Macs, so I have loads but whatever.

Use it. Enjoy it. Don't worry about the non-importance. You won't live a happy live if you do. (Don't get me wrong, do make financial responsible decisions because when you do, you will be able to affort a lot more ;) )

Spend the money in a way that makes you happy in life. If that's the rMBP, then just purchase it and enjoy it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The value will be very low. It's just a fact. $680 is the current average resale value (using five sources) of a fully optioned 2010 15" MBP.

The current models may be even lower due to the popularity of the iPad as laptop replacement as advocated by Apple. I know when I go to my Apple Store iPads are pushed by the reps there.

Three years is a long time at Internet speeds & the pace of development with the great majority focusing on mobile devices & operating systems. iOS promises to he even more dominant than today. Personally I'd only buy an expensive laptop like the retina if I seriously had to have it's capabilities. Otherwise I'd select the least expensive MBA. And even that will collapse in value. It's no reflection on Apple, it's the market.

----------

It's likely in three years they won't exist. Having been replaced with the newest display technology which most certainly will be completely different and much cheaper.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Also, I highly suspect that in 3 years time, all of the MacBook Pro's available will have Retina displays, and there may very well be some 2nd Gen ones on the re-sale market for decent prices as well, that could potentially still have a year of AppleCare left on them in some cases ... those I would expect to see re-selling for around $1000 (maybe a bit more if they still have AppleCare,) depending on their configuration.

1920x1080 is popping up in 13" displays today. I don't think Apple is just going to sit on it. The imac is the one area that may languish. Desktop displays have been in a weird place in general. Your guide in terms of value looks pretty much spot on. Eventually when some of the early problems are worked out, I expect they'll start to show up refurbished. At that point Apple currently has listings reserved for them. When the new ones come out that will drop. The 2.4 that debuted October 2011 is now $1589 refurbished. This also precludes the issue of products that have been subjected to wear and tear on certain parts, mainly displays, batteries, and possibly keyboards. I'd guess private sellers would take around $1200-1300 in good condition, possibly $1400 in excellent condition. Things that favor used values include cheap and available repair service, long term software support, and a lack of progress in the technology. If some of the improvements trickle down to the Air by then, most users would be better served picking up a new Air over an older macbook pro. There is a clear disconnect there when I read a lot of what gets posted on this board.

Whereas, the base rMBP cost me $1,999+tax (with student pricing)... and I am hoping that I will be able to sell it for at least $1200 in 3 years or so.

I tell everyone on here not to count on predictable residual value, as it doesn't work that way. Typically when you lose the least is when others aren't yet ready to sell. If you sold a machine prior to an upcoming refresh, you might get more, but you'd be without a machine. If you're looking for reference there, look at the 2008 15" unibody in 2011. It wasn't worth $1000. Take a look at the 2009 15" this year. It's not worth $1000. Newer generations of computers will simply pick up currently higher end features on the lower end. Three years from now the macbook air might have a similar screen treatment. At that point most people would buy a new 13" Air rather than a used 15" with an aging battery that costs $200 to replace and 3 years of wear on an expensive display. You would have to factor in the combined issues of wear and tear on expensive parts combined with depreciation due to the presence of updated hardware. That is assuming you don't encounter any major hardware failure. If you're not comfortable spending that amount without factoring in resale value several years later, you should probably reconsider your purchase.

Last edited:

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
You've got it the wrong way around. Those who don't calculate the costs of ownership are the ones who really can't afford it.

I totally agree with you. Those that have money don't need to flaunt it and make wise decisions. Only those that are trying to overcompensate tend to announce to the world their wealth. Mr. Gates doesn't need to go around telling people he's got dough.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You've got it the wrong way around. Those who don't calculate the costs of ownership are the ones who really can't afford it.

What these threads are really about is an OP that wants to base his expensive purchase on an inflated salvage value. He assigned a high estimate and did not account for the potential of hardware failure. If it was necessary to account for the machine in this manner, he'd need to add the cost of Applecare to that purchase to ensure that nothing will drive it down further three years from now. Even then his estimate doesn't line up with reality when you look at the pricing on one to two year old models sold directly through Apple. He didn't even look at used values specific to his market. It's just someone who wants to justify their toy. There's no unbiased accounting behind it. It's also not flaunting a purchase anytime someone buys an item based on their motivation to use one product over another. These happen to carry a much higher rate of depreciation than many on here wish to believe, which is further influenced by their condition.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston

I don't know if would go that far. No matter what you buy it will be worth less in the future BUT compared to a pc it is a no brainer, at least to me.

My guess is that all Macs will have retina and the prices will come down, after that maybe "super retina" might come out etc. 1st thing you need to figure out is how much of a machine you really need for what you are going to do with it.

Me my needs are modest, that is why the entry level gear works for me. If I had skillions in the bank, sure I would get the 15" retina etc.

So as others have said buy what makes sense to you, enjoy it and in 3 yrs it is worth what it is worth.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I don't know if would go that far. No matter what you buy it will be worth less in the future BUT compared to a pc it is a no brainer, at least to me.

My guess is that all Macs will have retina and the prices will come down, after that maybe "super retina" might come out etc. 1st thing you need to figure out is how much of a machine you really need for what you are going to do with it.

Me my needs are modest, that is why the entry level gear works for me. If I had skillions in the bank, sure I would get the 15" retina etc.

So as others have said buy what makes sense to you, enjoy it and in 3 yrs it is worth what it is worth.

Why would there ever be a need for a super retina display?

Queen6

macrumors G4
I dont think the length of usability is a valid argument anymore. Back then, nobody ever thought about playing intensive games using mac... But the new gen of MBP is capable for doing that, overheating becomes a common issue nowadays

Agreed yet this doesn't always apply to all, I have a base Retina that will pump out 3.1GHz all day, every day without any indication of throttling under 100% load more here #203

scenox

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Not more than 500 $. Very fast SoCs are coming and they will be very cheap and also provide HiDPI. So you will get a new rMBA for <1000 $ and nobody would buy a 3 year old rMBP without warranty for more than half the price.
The old rMBP might still be a little faster than the new SoC rMBA, but for most consumers this isn't relevant.

Last edited:

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Not more than 500 $. Very fast SoCs are coming and they will be very cheap and also provide HiDPI. So you will get a new rMBA for <1000 $ and nobody would buy a 3 year old rMBP without warranty for more than half the price.
The old rMBP might still be a little faster than the new SoC rMBA, but for most consumers this isn't relevant.

What are SoCs?

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Your experience is wrong.

When you earn a certain amount of money, spending a few thousand on a laptop doesnt require any calculations at all. It has no marginal impact on my financial position.

I bought an ipad mini recently, didnt like the screen so i gave it to my house keeper who gave it to her son. Didnt effect me at all... In fact all it did was put a smile on that boys face.

Your rudeness to other forum users is disgusting.

You're the rude one. We don't care how much you make. This thread isn't about you.

Cheers to the OP for being a responsible consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.