Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
So, just recently I was here asking about 3rd party batteries because I was thinking of getting a backup before a trip. Ironically, just now I noticed that my computer is now reporting that I need to "service battery" ... AGAIN. I had the battery replaced a little over a year ago and now there's another problem? What I'd like to know is if there is a known issue (known by users, not Apple) related to batteries in MBP 5,1? If not, what could possibly be causing these frequent problems??

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
So, just recently I was here asking about 3rd party batteries because I was thinking of getting a backup before a trip. Ironically, just now I noticed that my computer is now reporting that I need to "service battery" ... AGAIN. I had the battery replaced a little over a year ago and now there's another problem? What I'd like to know is if there is a known issue (known by users, not Apple) related to batteries in MBP 5,1? If not, what could possibly be causing these frequent problems??

Removable batteries usually wear out long before "non removable" ones (they are designed for around 300 cycles rather than 1000 in the newer ones). Check on ebay- I got a battery claimed to have been only used once for $40. I'll let you know its condition when it arrives :)

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Removable batteries usually wear out long before "non removable" ones (they are designed for around 300 cycles rather than 1000 in the newer ones). Check on ebay- I got a battery claimed to have been only used once for $40. I'll let you know its condition when it arrives :)

Thanks. I'm hoping that Apple will replace this one too. I still have Apple Care, but I've heard that they don't always replace batteries. This one is on 223 cycles, but what is really odd is that the battery health dipped about 20% in a day! Yesterday it was around 94%, now it's 72%.

Honestly though, I never got particularly good mileage out of even a brand new battery. Brand new I think I got maybe 3 - 3.5 hours on integrated graphics with minimal browser use and some wordprocessing. Maybe I've just got a lemon.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Thanks. I'm hoping that Apple will replace this one too. I still have Apple Care, but I've heard that they don't always replace batteries. This one is on 223 cycles, but what is really odd is that the battery health dipped about 20% in a day! Yesterday it was around 94%, now it's 72%.

Honestly though, I never got particularly good mileage out of even a brand new battery. Brand new I think I got maybe 3 - 3.5 hours on integrated graphics with minimal browser use and some wordprocessing. Maybe I've just got a lemon.

If you make sure to mention the sudden drop, its worth a shot at apple. I've never gotten AppleCare, for anything... I guess its because A) I've never bought a brand new mac, and B) I'd rather fix it up myself to see how it works :D

:/ I dont know.. mine seems to be pretty good on power consumption. I get an estimate of around 1hr with medium browsing and email... That is at 37% health though, so I'm probably not going to get more than 4 hours out of the new one i just bought...

Thing is, the non removable batteries have around a 30% increase in total capacity.... I've head of people getting 7 straight hours out of a battery. Unfortunate for us.. :) I was a bit ticked once I started reading more about my newly bought model..

I do plan though on one day (when I get enough cash $$), to build a custom case for it with battery packs.. I could probably fit in some 30,000mah, so around 8 hours of use. It would get me far at least. I'll let you know if I ever decide to do it, but I can point you to a link. It would be pretty sick to have a macbook, with not too much added weight, be able to go for ~13 hours on a charge.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Custom batteries? Interesting. :D I'd give it a go on a laptop once it's out of warranty.

I have always bought AppleCare for laptops and it's always paid for itself. This one has had a battery and a powerbrick replaced already. It's actually supposed to be sent in for a repair that requires a new logic board (bad USB ports). I just haven't been able to let it go! I've been meaning to get the screen fixed because it's always had backlight bleed from the sides...And it looks like I'm on my next battery replacement too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.