Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Avid is the "industry standard" now that FCP7 dropped off the map. It's pretty horrible, though. Premiere might be more fun and it's used a lot, too. FCP7 is my favorite, but worthless to learn.

I think its a bit much to say FCP 7 has dropped of the map. I believe Apple did capitulate and it is now possible to buy a copy *IF* you are a volume licence owner.

But just because Apple stopped making doesn't mean that the vast numbers of of people have stopped using it. It didn't stop working overnight! A lot of people are still working daily on FCP 7 whilst they weigh up their options or simply not moving until they really really need to.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Why aren't they support final cut 7? sorry for the confusion its just a lot of money so dont want to back a dead horse as it were.

Well if you're investing money in this then do not buy FCP7. It's still a perfectly good NLE and will be for years to come, but it has reached its end of life. So I would recommend Premiere instead. It's a very similar interface and workflow and the program itself has grown leaps and bounds from what it used to be. You'll also be investing in the entire Adobe ecosystem, and chances are you'll eventually have to dabble in After Effects, Photoshop, etc.

FCPX is not as bad as people say. It still doesn't quite meet the requirements of an already established production infrastructure, but that's not something you'll need to worry about. You should just take all of the popular NLEs out on a test run using their free trials and figure out which one you like best.

Get Final Cut Pro X. It's what everyone else in your film studies course will be using, plus it's probably what your later classes will teach with (that or 7).

That's kind of a wild assumption.

With that being said, the kind of software ultimately doesn't matter. There is no best. Use whatever you can get your hands on and learn the art of editing. The technical side can always be learned and adapted to later.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
How often are we going to discuss this question? It seems like every month someone posts this garbage.

Best answer... find out what your class is using and buy that. once you learn the basics to the art of editing, it isn't difficult to learn any NLE but will take a while to master any. It's not tha paint bush that makes the painting a masterpiece, it's the artist. Quit discussing the tool and concentrate on your chops.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
How often are we going to discuss this question? It seems like every month someone posts this garbage.

Best answer... find out what your class is using and buy that. once you learn the basics to the art of editing, it isn't difficult to learn any NLE but will take a while to master any. It's not tha paint bush that makes the painting a masterpiece, it's the artist. Quit discussing the tool and concentrate on your chops.

Finally someone who understands the industry.

The best advice to anyone (coming from a freelance editor) learn how to use every NLE you can. You never know when a job might require you to use a certain piece of software and the last thing you would want to do is turn down a job because you dont know a piece of software.

But as stated above its not the software that matters in the end, its your creative and storytelling abilities.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
which is best?

THis is a typical beginner question. The answer is: There is no "best". Theire is only a "best match to your needs".

Is one was clearly better and everyone agreed it was best then the others would go out of business quickly. But as it turns out different people have different needs and taste and opinions.

The #2 most common beginner mistake is to equate learning some software with learning the task. For example they might think that learning Photoshop is the same as learning to be a graphic designer. Or that learning to how to work the controls on a dSLR camera will make you a photographer. Or that learning how to use video eding software makes you a video editor.

This is the same as thinking that if you could only learn to use a word processor you could write a novel.

So, bottom line here is to pick somthing to get you started that has enough features to support the kind of editing tasks you are learning. Likely you need to learn about the very basics of how to cut together the various kinds of shots, subjective, subjective establishing and whatever and about timing and flow and continuity and so one. Almost any editing software can do this.

There is a good reason to start with something "way simple". This is because you want to spend your limited time learning EDITING and not learning some software system. Learning both at once is to much. So start with something simple and easy and then if you find it limiting move up. People here are pretty much biased to Apple products. Start with iMovie then if and when you find it is limiting your creative vision move on to FCP.

When I was younger in high school we did pretty good work with a razor blade and glue. Seriously you don't need fancier tools then that. OK beter tool reduce the time you have to spend and reduce the cost but ALL you need are simple tools.

The BEST match to your needs is the software you can gets started with and come up to speed with the quickest. You don't need to spend weeks learning compllex software when you need to be learning how to make cuts.

Avoid the typical beginner mistakes.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I like that photo. This happens so much because as I said, every beginner who sees a professional using some tools thinks all he needs is the tools and to learn how to use them and he to can be a professional.

The example is photography. He asks "I want to get into photography? What camera should I buy?" As if the brand of camera mattered. It is light and composition and time and place and so on.

I think the reason we see this SO MUCH is because buying something is easy, just a mouse click but learning is hard, it takes years. People focus on what is easy.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
I think its a bit much to say FCP 7 has dropped of the map. I believe Apple did capitulate and it is now possible to buy a copy *IF* you are a volume licence owner.

But just because Apple stopped making doesn't mean that the vast numbers of of people have stopped using it. It didn't stop working overnight! A lot of people are still working daily on FCP 7 whilst they weigh up their options or simply not moving until they really really need to.

It's pretty outdated. A lot of people shoot on red now and its support for that is terrible and the memory limits from being 32 bit make editing large form content in HD very painful.

It's still my favorite NLE, but it's not the best place to get started. But really anything is fine, since interface is trivial compared with artistic skill and experience--it's just that FCP7 users might have to make the switch sooner rather than later.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I think this post can run till the cows come home to milk. Many good tunes have been played on this issue.
I think any future post should say: What Do You Think Of THis Editing Software"????????????????
Good post and i hope some knowledge has been gained.:apple:

joshualee90

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Avid MC is what the high end pros use. It doesnt mean it is the best(although it is my NLE of choice) but it is industry standard. As much as people are adopting Premiere and use Final Cut the majority of those users are indie or commerical/music video editors. You get into films and tv shows they all use Avid. So depending on what you see yourself cutting pick the right software.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I think this post can run till the cows come home to milk. Many good tunes have been played on this issue.
I think any future post should say: What Do You Think Of THis Editing Software"????????????????
Good post and i hope some knowledge has been gained.:apple:

Ditto daybreak and folks please remember to read their posts even if the title gets you all fired up, this person (the OP) seems to be researching which program to use to teach his/her students…teach, meaning they are not a student and are judging by their post going to be learning along with the class on this one.

I believe cost is also involved for the class so the best is yet again subjective, learning more than one program is the best advise but having to select only one for a class can really suck if you are the teacher because it's what is best for the students (as noted) and this is meant for grades 6-12, again money is or could be of a concern, for the students parents as I don't think the kids really care about price.

Good advise given and look up Larry Jordan and others on YouTube, look up Adobe and get a sense of what will be a good flow for your students now and in the next steps of learning how to use the program you will in the end choose.

Cost can very, FCPX can be had for less than it's price, just get iTunes gift cards that are on sale, discount and so on. I bought FCPX for $240 or a bit less because I got gift cards on sale, more savings which is always nice, not sure this can be had with Adobe. As others have mentioned use the 30 day trials and see what flows for you and remember that a few students may not like either choice you make but hey it's like the real world.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Avid MC is what the high end pros use. It doesnt mean it is the best(although it is my NLE of choice) but it is industry standard. As much as people are adopting Premiere and use Final Cut the majority of those users are indie or commerical/music video editors. You get into films and tv shows they all use Avid. So depending on what you see yourself cutting pick the right software.

While the majority might use Avid, I know of three TV shows currently being cut on FCP X. Over time probably more.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm an amateur and transitioning from Final Cut Express to Final Cut X. FCE and probably FCPro has gotten too old, unreliable and slow compared to modern software. I'm impressed with FCX so far.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
A major post house in NYC just went FCPX. When I read about it I was very surprised until I spoke with someone who works there and the explained the reasoning and why it works well for them.

Like I said this is a major post house that creates Emmy award winning shows

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I think "NO" statement should be made how bad an editing software is. Every software has its creaking door syndrome.
Would be nice to close this thread as a lot has been said.
What is you wish list for "CHRISTMAS"????????????????????????

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
It's all a matter of preference. I use both FCPX and Premiere Pro CS6. I like both and use both for cutting a kid's TV show, music videos and documentaries. My general workflow is to rough cut in Premiere Pro then send to FCPX for finishing. I like the track based and actual real time editing in PP and I like the ease of use in FCPX for color grading, correcting and modest graphics/text. It's a workflow that makes sense for me but maybe not for others. I totally didn't mind paying $299 for FCPX and the monthly fee for Creative Cloud which gives me full use of all of the Pro Apps such as Photoshop CS6, After Effects CS6, Prelude, Speedgrade, etc.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Oh no! I took a wrong turn and ended up in a "which is better" thread! :p

As others have said OP there is no better. You're results are what matter. Software is nothing more than a tool that you use to get what you need done. If you show talent but use software X vs software Y you'll still get hired, you'll just need to catch up to speed with software Y which usually doesn't take long once you know one package (and its concepts) well.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I didn't see responses relating to which might be well-suited to teaching grades 6-12 about video editing -- that was part of the OP's question.

I'm no longer in the classroom (ex-college) but I'd find that discussion interesting. The only time I had a class involved (2002-2003), we had one PC, my own PD150, and an early version of Premiere. It was painful, but the students, taking turns, did shoot and complete a joint project.

Does the OP have Mac lab?

Project sharing?

Does anybody have a handle on what a middle school student is likely to find easy versus what a HS student will?

I'm thinking that answers to those questions will help the OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.