Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I am just wondering if I can plug my Apple TV 2 into my Mac Pro via ethernet? The Mac Pro has two Gigabit ethernet ports so I was wondering if the Apple TV would still operate correctly if I connected it this way instead of using Wifi? I would have an ethernet line coming out of the router into my Mac Pro then out of the Mac Pro into the Apple TV. Would this work? I never utilized both ethernet ports on my Mac Pro so I'm not sure it it would essentially act as in and out. My Apple TV is about 8 feet away from my Mac Pro anyway so I was just curious as it would save me from hogging up another port on my airport extreme. I know I can use it via wifi but I prefer hard wired if possible since it so close to everything anyways. Thanks

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I am just wondering if I can plug my Apple TV 2 into my Mac Pro via ethernet?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes, with the proper software installed to make your Mac Pro a router. The 2nd port would be a proxy to talk to the router through itself.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Not quite sure about OSX but windows had an internet sharing protocol built in that would allow you to share the internet connection. IMO the best thing to do is just buy another router or switch/hub. That way you can plug in your apple tv and more devices via ethernet. Just connect the internet port of the new router/hub/switch to any of the output ports of the other router.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
If you still have a port on the router, just use that. When you do run out, ethernet switches are cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.