Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
The only time I address my devices is when they misbehave, and then it's usually garnished with expletives.

I need a clever name to use when insulting my Mac. I already call my car Chitty Chitty Clang Clang when it pisses me off.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
iPad - iPad
iPod Touch - iPad

(So my school doesn't know I know the password for the wifi...they issue students iPads with some nasty restrictions on them)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
iPhone: FBI Surveillance Van 023 (purely so that's what comes up as the SSID when I use the hotspot feature)

iPad: iPad 4 Engineering Sample

MBP: MBP

MB: Experimental

I ran out of fun names towards the end :(

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I must say I stand in awe of some of your imaginations. :eek:
Me on the other hand very boring, I just call each device by it's name, if more than one they are numbered.:cool:

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Macbook Pro: Blossom
iPad 2: Buttercup
iPod touch 3rd gen: Bubbles
iPod touch 5th gen: Mojo Jojo

I accidentally fell into a Powerpuff Girls theme.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Computers, phone, iPad.
Do people really name them? :eek:

Would you rather remember a bunch of IP addresses that you have to type in every time you want to connect to a server or file share?

Connecting to afp://mini is much easier for me to remember and type in than afp://192.168.100.100

My host file has at least 15 entries, so I don't want to have to remember which device has which address.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess I'm unimaginative I don't name my devices. In tunes my iPad and iPhone are called iPhone and iPad. My rMBP is rMBP and so on and so forth

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
my kid has always been a Pokemon fan, so I use Pokemon names, and they make good disk icons

405Luxray.png

zapdos, luxray, leafeon, kyurem, ....

Airport extreme is "number 4" since it's the fourth one I've had (two had power supply failures, one was bad out of the box).

Many years ago, had a Gateway PC called "cow".

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Not being the most original guy, here it is:

1) HAL I (Matsucom OnHand PC Seiko Ruputer Smartwatch)
2) HAL II (Palm Treo 700p)
3) HAL III (iPhone 3G)
4) HAL IV (iPhone 4)
5) HAL V (Samsung Galaxy S3)
6) HAL VI (iPhone 5) and HAL VII (Galaxy Note 2)

-The last 2 devices being the only active ones I have. The older HALs have long since passed on.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Would you rather remember a bunch of IP addresses that you have to type in every time you want to connect to a server or file share?

Connecting to afp://mini is much easier for me to remember and type in than afp://192.168.100.100

My host file has at least 15 entries, so I don't want to have to remember which device has which address.

I think most of the posters don't use names for such reasons, that's why I am surprised.
And by the way, I know every IP address of every device of mine, so I wouldn't use names for this reason either.

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
I just tend to stick "Super" in front of the device for some odd reason, like SuperInternet for my Internet name.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
iPhone: Paul's iPhone
iPod touch: Paul's Touch
iMac: Paul's iMac G5
MBA: Paul's Macbook Air
iPod: Paul's iPod Shuffle (1&2)

creative :rolleyes:

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
After the DC Universe,

iMac=Superman
iPhone 5=Green Lantern
Apple TV=Wonder Woman
External Drive=Batman
iPad 2=The Flash

etc.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Mine are all named after Firefly characters or ideas.

My wi-fi is called "The Signal", my Windows machine is called "Reaver" since it's evil (not really, it's my main computer but it's easy to remember that way), my Media Server is called "Inara" because it makes things pretty on my TV, my iPad is "Shepherd Book" mostly because of the word Book, and my iPhone is called "Wash" since he's the pilot. Although my Kindle is called Navi from Serial Experiments Lain... not really sure why.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
My Macs are usually named after notable AI in fiction:

iBook Clamshell - Data
iMac G4 - Ziggy
White intel iMac - HAL
21.5 iMac - JARVIS

The only exception is my new Mac Mini which is named Kal-El (was going through a Superman phase)

i tend to keep the IOS devices with their original model names e.g. iPhone 4S, iPad Mini etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.