Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Tim says:
"Most prolific period of innovation and new products in Apple's history. New products in every category we make in the past few months."

I say:
Uh, I don't remember seeing a new Mac Pro in the past few months, Tim. Where's the new Pro machine?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The only point I see to this article post is another worthless apple vs samsung flame war.

winter-is-coming-meme-generator-brace-yourselves-a-flame-war-is-coming-c07a90.jpg

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
So Samsung spent more money on semiconductors? I don't get what this is supposed to tell us. That they buy more units? That they pay more per unit? Seriously, people will write anything these days for click bait.

It a dumb way to analyze a company unless they use the exact same parts and you are just comparing EXACT LIKE FOR LIKE. But that's never the case.

There are things that Samsung makes that Apple doesn't. Like TVs, appliances, traditional cell phones.

Personally, whomever at Gartner that tracks and releases this info should have their head decapitated. There is NOTHING relevant at all. Not one single Financial analyst worth a crap would use this information for anything other that using the paper it's printed on to line a cage for a bird.

It's a useless study. They might as well study how many rolls of toilet paper each of these companies use in a year, that would be just as relevant.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Really ! Last I read-:apple: still had some 65% profits in mobile space and 60% or more market share in tablets !

PROFITS yes, but its selling iPhone at near 100% profit compared to competitors getting 20% or even less, its number of sales you need to compare, not profit, bums on seats drive unit sales, and unit sales drive store revenue, if more people are buying android, then google is making the money in the store, remember, google doesn't make a profit on the hardware, thats up to the hardware manufacturer, it makes its money via the Play store, apple makes profit on both hardware AND iTunes sales, so its easy for apple to post a bazillion % market share on profit terms. Creative accountancy at its best.

Android sells more devices, a LOT more devices, because they are cheap, and do basically the same function. oh and they offer more choice of device form factor to please everyone.

----------

That was a joke, right?

nope, id like some love given to the desktop range, i feel the latest iMac is a Practical joke, im going to have to build a hackintosh for my next "upgrade" and use my existing iMac as a display, the sealing of the unit to prevent ANY user maintenance or upgrades was the last straw for me, coupled with the lack of any Mac pro upgrade, which would have been my only other option, hopefully they will finally get the Thunderbolt pros out this year before i plan to upgrade.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I'm sure LCD TVs and monitors alone would account for a large percentage of orders that Apple wouldn't have made themselves because they don't overlap Samsung in every product category, just smart phones, computers and related technology.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
:apple: = no2 outside USA, Samsung is kicking :apple: ass with its CHOICE of smartphones , giving the consumer the choice of screen size and form factors is a GOOD THING ,not a bad thing, should :apple: wake up from the torpor its been in since SJs death and gets back to innovating instead of incrementally updating and reacting to the competition it "might" keep its head afloat, other wise its heading back to the dark days of just churning out pretty, expensive, boxes with nothing on them that anyone wants.

Actually i hope :apple: gets driven out of the smartphone and tablet markets eventually, and gets back to producing and investing in its desktops

as far as semi conductors go, isnt there only like 3 companies that actually MAKE these things anyway, everyone else just rents their machines

lolwut?

You really, really do not want that - otherwise say hello to appalling updates, plastic hardware & god awful customer service.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Hey, anyone remembers when Apple topped the list ?

Apple Ranked as World's Top Semiconductor Customer in 2011

another in a long string or reports where Apple not only comes out at the top of the list but also has grown significantly where others are shrinking. How close are we getting to total world domination??

Wow, when Apple did it, it was "Apple is winning!" and now that Apple slipped back to 2nd place it's "Meh, what a silly metric to talk about".

Gotta love the cognitive dissonance going on in the Macrumors community. Always spin and spin and spin.

Geez guys, try for a little consistency.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
lolwut?

You really, really do not want that - otherwise say hello to appalling updates, plastic hardware & god awful customer service.

Prefer the build quality on my galaxy S2 to that off both the iPhone 4 and 5, i can have my phone and not have it crack, scratched, etc , i don't need to buy a case for it, it just goes in my pocket, with my change and keys and works.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

Wow, when Apple did it, it was "Apple is winning!" and now that Apple slipped back to 2nd place it's "Meh, what a silly metric to talk about".

Gotta love the cognitive dissonance going on in the Macrumors community. Always spin and spin and spin.

I am confused. Are you posting a quote from a random poster (who hasn't posted in here) as if it was everyone's opinion? I don't understand. I mean, it'd make sense if you caught people flip-flopping and called those specific people out but you're trying to lump everyone together. How does that even make sense?

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
So Samsung spent more money on semiconductors? I don't get what this is supposed to tell us. That they buy more units? That they pay more per unit? Seriously, people will write anything these days for click bait.

Yeah, and you can thank Gartner for bringing up the data in the first place.

This is worthless data to use to make judgements of a company or to compare.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I am confused. Are you posting a quote from a random poster (who hasn't posted in here) as if it was everyone's opinion? I don't understand. I mean, it'd make sense if you caught people flip-flopping and called those specific people out but you're trying to lump everyone together. How does that even make sense?

Read the general tone of that old thread and the general tone of this thread.

I posted 1 example.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

Insulting? Here to pick arguments? Want to irritate people with your posting style, trying to cause upset, what?

Why are you always talking down to, correcting, and insulting members here. I find your condescending posts irritating and unnecessary.

(Reported)

Last edited:

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013

Well it would only be inconsistent if the same person flip flopped wouldn't it? Generalizing is not a good way to prove a point.

----------

Yeah this is the flaw inherent with people who say Apple users flip flop, they never show specific examples and just generalize. Find it incredibly immature but that's how it's always gonna be...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well it would only be inconsistent if the same person flip flopped wouldn't it? Generalizing is not a good way to prove a point.

----------

Yeah this is the flaw inherent with people who say Apple users flip flop, they never show specific examples and just generalize. Find it incredibly immature but that's how it's always gonna be...

Talking about the general tone of the thread. Where are those same people ? The ones that set the general tone when Apple became first ?

That's the whole point, but obviously, it blew past your head. Same as when there are lawsuit threads. When Apple gets sued, it's "Patent trolls! Litigate rather than innovate!" and when Apple sues it's "Apple needs to defend its IP! Copycats!".

That's the whole point of my post, a point obviously that 3 of you now failed to grasp in some quick bid to attack the messenger rather than the message (another big problem at Macrumors).

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Insulting? Here to pick arguments? Want to irritate people with your posting style, trying to cause upset, what?

Why are you always talking down to, correcting, and insulting members here. I find your condescending posts irritating and unnecessary.

(Reported)

Your confusing insulting and condescending with facts and reality, ,all he did is display the facts of what people did when apple became number one and basically put egg on faces, nothing wrong with displaying the TRUTH.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Talking about the general tone of the thread. Where are those same people ? The ones that set the general tone when Apple became first ?

That's the whole point, but obviously, it blew past your head. Same as when there are lawsuit threads. When Apple gets sued, it's "Patent trolls! Litigate rather than innovate!" and when Apple sues it's "Apple needs to defend its IP! Copycats!".

That's the whole point of my post, a point obviously that 3 of you now failed to grasp in some quick bid to attack the messenger rather than the message (another big problem at Macrumors).

You're generalizing. Who cares where the other people are? If I said "Now all the android users are excited when it didn't matter to them when Apple was first" would you get my point or would you say the same thing I am?

It's immature and you're generalizing. Poor forum etiquette. If the same people who made a big deal about it are now saying its not a big deal, then you'd have a point. Right now, you don't. I say you just stop arguing a failed point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.