Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ja12n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hello,

a week ago my iMac 27 Zoll started to behave odd :) At first some finder windows frozed and I couldn't close them. A few days ago it stoped working at all (and so did spotlight etc.). So I repaired the volume and the rights and my iMac worked a bit better and finder was availbe again. Now I am expierencing bluescreens with my Win7 on bootcamp (at the startup). This time I started the Win7 repair system and everything was fine again.

Do you have a Idea what could cause all this? I really don't want to repair the volume every 2 days

Thanks for reading and I appologise for my bad english :)

Ja12n

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hello,

a week ago my iMac 27 Zoll started to behave odd :) At first some finder windows frozed and I couldn't close them. A few days ago it stoped working at all (and so did spotlight etc.). So I repaired the volume and the rights and my iMac worked a bit better and finder was availbe again. Now I am expierencing bluescreens with my Win7 on bootcamp (at the startup). This time I started the Win7 repair system and everything was fine again.

Do you have a Idea what could cause all this? I really don't want to repair the volume every 2 days

Thanks for reading and I appologise for my bad english :)

Ja12n

It could be a hard drive failure. I would run a hardware test.

1. Shutdown the iMac
2. Press the power button to turn on your computer
3. Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears

Full instructions are available here

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

ja12n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks for the tip, I just ran the hardware test. It told me that there are no problems with my hardware (even when I did ran the longer test).
Today my mac showed me a progress bar during the start. Nothing worked (no Spotlight, no autorun Apps, even Chrome failed at displaying websites). I restarted my mac and everything seems to be fine again.
I really have no idea what could cause all this.

Ja12n

Edit: I had a bluescreen again on my Win7 Bootcamp :/
fotorud.jpg

What can be so evil to destroy my Win7 and osX ? :(

Last edited:

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tip, I just ran the hardware test. It told me that there are no problems with my hardware (even when I did ran the longer test).
Today my mac showed me a progress bar during the start. Nothing worked (no Spotlight, no autorun Apps, even Chrome failed at displaying websites). I restarted my mac and everything seems to be fine again.
I really have no idea what could cause all this.

Ja12n

Edit: I had a bluescreen again on my Win7 Bootcamp :/ Image
What can be so evil to destroy my Win7 and osX ? :(

That all points to a hardware problem. Do you have any devices connected to your iMac?

ja12n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
That all points to a hardware problem. Do you have any devices connected to your iMac?
My iMac is connected with
  • an USB 2.0 external harddrive
  • an USB Hub
  • an epson printer/scaner
  • an USB Stick which is needed for a wireless Logitech Headset
  • A wireless Apple Keyboard
  • A Logitech USB mouse

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My iMac is connected with
  • an USB 2.0 external harddrive
  • an USB Hub
  • an epson printer/scaner
  • an USB Stick which is needed for a wireless Logitech Headset
  • A wireless Apple Keyboard
  • A Logitech USB mouse

Have you added any of these devices recently?

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
No, I haven't changed a thing since 2 months or so

Ok.

The fact that you have problems with both OSX and Windows points to a hardware problem most likely HDD.

If it's a 1TB drive it may be captured by Apples iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/imac-harddrive/

Type your serial number into the box on the above page to check if you are covered.

Last edited:

ja12n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Ok.

The fact that you have problems with both OSX and Windows points to a hardware problem most likely HDD.

If it's a 1TB drive it may be captured by Apples iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/imac-harddrive/

Type your serial number into the box on the above page to check if you are covered.

My iMac has a WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0 Harddrive, so I assume it is from Western Digital :/ Furthermore my iMac "is not eligible for this program" offered by Apple.
Is there another way to check if my Harddrive is damaged? Expect "Check Volume" and the Hardware check?

Last edited:

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My iMac has a WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0 Harddrive, so I assume it is from Western Digital :/ Furthermore my iMac "is not eligible for this program" offered by Apple.
Is there another way to check if my Harddrive is damaged? Expect "Check Volume" and the Hardware check?

Do you have Apple Care on the iMac?

ja12n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Do you have Apple Care on the iMac?
No, I hate myself for this fold :/ I should have bought it. So now I have no guarantee left and have to search for the source of the problems. (O, I think I haven't mentioned that it is a refurbished iMac, but that should not make any difference, should it?)

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
No, I hate myself for this fold :/ I should have bought it. So now I have no guarantee left and have to search for the source of the problems. (O, I think I haven't mentioned that it is a refurbished iMac, but that should not make any difference, should it?)

If you haven't already I would ensure that all your data is backed up in both OSX and Windows just in case of failure.

ja12n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
If you haven't already I would ensure that all your data is backed up in both OSX and Windows just in case of failure.
I already started with creating backups, it just makes me feel nervous because I have no idea what is happening with my iMac. Today he works completly fine, but tomorrow ... :)
Anyway, thanks for the help and I hope that there will be a solution for me :)

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I already started with creating backups, it just makes me feel nervous because I have no idea what is happening with my iMac. Today he works completly fine, but tomorrow ... :)
Anyway, thanks for the help and I hope that there will be a solution for me :)

You can test your HD by making a bootable clone with SuperDuper, that not only gives you a backup but if it boots from it and the problem is gone then that would indicate that it is the internal HD, converseley if it boots from the external and the problem persists then it's either software related that has been copied to the clone or you still rule out the internal drive.

To do an intital clone with super duper is free, you only pay for the app if you want to use the smart update feature later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.