Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah a PCIe card would allow for some expandability. On another note, I'm eager to see how the Mac Pro sells....seems reminiscent of the G4 cube.
I'd consider the new Mac Pro to be a "concept" computer more than anything else. Now that is going to require people to buy into their concept for a workstation.

They didn't update the Mac Pro for over 1,000 days, now the are going to release one that isn't viable for another 1,000.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
MBP customers left in a lurch!

I put myself in a jam by selling my 2011 15" MacBook Pro four days before the WWDC keynote. I was convinced Phil Schiller would be announcing the new Haswell rMBPs. Now I'm sitting here with no Mac, and there's no definite indication of when Apple will release the new models. So, in desperation I ordered from Apple a refurb 2.6 GHz rMBP with 16 gigs of RAM and 512 GB SSD. (Actually, at $2,189 -- over $500 off the original price, it's a pretty good deal).

I had resigned myself to settling for last years tech, but then I read on a couple rumor sites that Apple may release the Haswell retina MacBook Pros in July. So, I think when my refurb arrives I'll just sit on it for a couple of weeks, and see what happens. Luckily I have my iPad, and I can always occasionally borrow my wife's 2012 MBA until then.

But, it's going to take one HELL of a lot of strength to resist opening that package…..

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Something I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet. Apple states 'all-day' battery life, and most guesses are that it's mostly because of Haswell. Even though Apple doesn't explicitly state it, I'm guessing that the tests were done with 10.8.4.

So things could get really interesting once 10.9 hits. Because 10.9 has a lot of new software features designed to reduce battery life (App Nap, Compressed Memory & Timer Coalescing).

Could we be looking at large enough gains between haswell & 10.9 to push the 11" to 10-11 hours and the 13" to 14-15?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's my understanding that Haswell ULT processors are dual core only. That sucks :(

Yeah, Apple introduced two new models, available today, that beat every single "Ultrabook" that is either out there or announced, and it doesn't include a coffee machine, electric toothbrush and a dishwasher. Absolutely disappointing. :D

----------

I assume this storage is soldered onto the logic board?

I assume that nobody actually cares. But soldered onto the logic board lasts longer and is more reliable.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Battery is nice, but realistically relatively few people are away from power for more than 8 hours. Apple didn't do anything for that update it came free with the new processor. All updates were inline with expectations, hence this was a minor update.

Realistically, when Apple switched to non-removable batteries in the MBP, everybody complained how they would suffer because they needed more than the 10 hours that the new batteries provided. :D

In practice, having 12 hours of battery is just _very_ nice.

Speedy10x

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Denmark
Even more battery hours

I was wondering, when apple releases the new power enhanced OS X Mavericks and you then install it on the new macbook air with 12 hours battery, would it then (theoretical) be possible to get 12,5+ battery time?

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
I was wondering, when apple releases the new power enhanced OS X Mavericks and you then install it on the new macbook air with 12 hours battery, would it then (theoretical) be possible to get 12,5+ battery time?

As I stated in your thread, in theory yes. :D

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
----------

[/COLOR]

I assume that nobody actually cares. But soldered onto the logic board lasts longer and is more reliable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah reliability goes up but ease of expandability decreases. The future will involve external expandability (eGPUs, etc.) Apple is clearly moving in that direction with this project...and of course they want to emphasize more use of the cloud storage feature.

All the same, it's just sad to see that internal expandability will not be as easy. With a consumer product, I can understand the argument that most people will not expand or upgrade anything. However, in a professional or workstation class machine, a larger percentage of the targeted market sector will be wanting to upgrade. I guess they'll just have to embrace the change and look to external upgrades and cloud computing.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
With a consumer product, I can understand the argument that most people will not expand or upgrade anything. However, in a professional or workstation class machine, a larger percentage of the targeted market sector will be wanting to upgrade. I guess they'll just have to embrace the change and look to external upgrades and cloud computing.

Not to mention that in a "consumer-class" machine, such as the MacBook Air, Apple decided to pursue form factor (size & weight) and battery life. As such, expandability and raw power are pushed aside. Soldered on RAM, custom SSD blades and non-removable batteries are all more compact than their user-replaceable counterparts. That means more space for battery which means longer life.

It's also the reason I think we won't see a retina display in the air for at least a couple of years. It seems like the cMBP line will disappear and you'll have the Air form factor and the Retina form factor. Different priorities in different lines.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
The new MBA is pretty sweet. You really need to take a step back and look at how computers are fading out of the picture a bit. There are now mobile devices that are cheaper and more mobile that handle just about anything a normal consumer needs... tablets, phones... they just do what laptops did for 90% of us.

The question then becomes how much power do you need as a content creator. That is the domain of power users, other than gaming. I found in my most productive days it was on sub stellar gear with free software, because limitations give us a sandbox in which to be creative.

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
To everyone that was hoping for a "Retina" Macbook Air, I submit this. Marketing 101.

The only thing keeping most Macbook Pro buyers (read much more profitable buying sector) away from purchasing a (relatively) less profitable Air is Retina.

They wont be giving that up soon.

To those who feel the technology does not exist to put "Retina" in an Air like form factor, I submit the iPad3, iPad4, Google 10" and now countless other tiny tablets coming out with Retina like displays. Also several PC Ultrabooks on the horizon. Its all dollars boys and girls. Me? I got tired of the cheap looking fat bezel of my Air and paid the extra money for the 13" rMBP in February when they closed out the first Generation 13" rMBP (laughably from just 3 months earlier) at $1500.00 for the 256GB.

It's NOT that the technology is not available, it's that they'd be sacrificing function over form in this case. Ironic, I know, considering the exact opposite mantra is spouted over and over again on MR.

Perhaps in a year or two (or three), once technology has completely caught up. For now, which of their competitors has an "up to" 15 hour runtime on their equivalent notebook / "Ultrabook"?

First, there's a reason the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has a discreet Nvidia GeForce 650M in addition to Intel HD4000.

Second, battery life would suffer, and that's the one big drum they get to beat this year for the Air. Additionally, it would probably require larger batteries thus increasing the weight and/or thickness of the Air. That goes against the design philosphy.

Third, it would cost more, plain and simple. They've kept the cost at the same level and even dropped the price for the entry level 13" MacBook Air, for equivalent performance but MUCH better battery life.

Finally, not every customer wants or needs a Retina Display in an 11 or 13 inch form factor. Sure, I see the benefit, and you obviously do, but not everyone does, and for those who don't, why make them suffer with the tradeoff's?

----------

The new MBA is pretty sweet. You really need to take a step back and look at how computers are fading out of the picture a bit. There are now mobile devices that are cheaper and more mobile that handle just about anything a normal consumer needs... tablets, phones... they just do what laptops did for 90% of us.

The question then becomes how much power do you need as a content creator. That is the domain of power users, other than gaming. I found in my most productive days it was on sub stellar gear with free software, because limitations give us a sandbox in which to be creative.

Yes, although there are many enterprise apps (ERP, etc.) that just don't function well in a mobile orientation. The app support just isn't there yet. Some have bolted mobile functionality on, or are just beginning to offer alternative interfaces, but for those that haven't (and many of the "bolt-ons"), you're stuck trying to use the app with a touch screen and aren't as productive as you would be with a keyboard and mouse. It will take time until this is completely true, but it is astounding how far we've come in such a short amount of time.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I still think that Apple needs to merge the MBA 13" and the rMBP 13" into one single laptop: do we really need two 13" models that are so similar?

No i don't want Apple to merge those two models, that would bring the price of the 13" model up due to the retina display. I don't want a retina display especially without a dedicated GPU to drive it. There is no need for insane resolutions on a 13" screen.

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV
On the contrary battery life is a huge deal. No one wants to have to tether up to an outlet during the day. That's the whole point of a laptop.

I have 2008 MBP and I never tether up after all day use, except at night when I am sleeping. But you missed the point of my post. Apple didn't do anything to get the battery life increase other than move to the new chips (CPU, GPU, and AC chips are all by their nature more energy efficient). Therefore the update is minor as nothing
innovative was accomplished. If they for example moved to TB2, or added a touch display or a retina display, that would have been major.

If anything the only significant change is the SSD, moving from SATA to PCI-e is a pretty big deal, not huge, but I wouldn't classify it as minor.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
"With the new Haswell processors, The 11" MacBook Air will now have nine hours of battery life while the 13" MacBook Air will have a stunning 12 hours of battery life"

Impressive, can't state otherwise. I wonder how new technologies could make battery life even to last longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.