Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:27 PM   #51
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Seems the goal is SF to LA in 30 mins rather than LA to NY
That would still be a fairly impressive achievement. Even when you discount the time wasted going through check-in and airport security, a plane takes more than twice as long.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Aug 12, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:52 PM   #52
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68010

All known info including BOM and the LA-SF route along the 5

What happens if it crashes - they're worried about oxygen deprivation. I'm more worried about cars crashing into each other at 700 mph
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:07 PM   #53
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
What happens if it crashes - they're worried about oxygen deprivation. I'm more worried about cars crashing into each other at 700 mph
Remember that all motion is relative. The only way you could have a 700MPH crash is if one vehicle was traveling at a radically different speed from another. And the 30 second window between cars is plenty of time to slow down.

Now if somehow a vehicle did crash at that speed... well, if it makes you feel better the whole thing would be over in a fraction of a second.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:16 PM   #54
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Seems the goal is SF to LA in 30 mins rather than LA to NY
I have a really hard time imaging coast to cost in 30 minutes. It sounds like science fiction. I think a hypersonic plane would take about that long according to [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/hypersonic-craft-takes-flight-lost-article-1.948550]this 2011 article which says 12 minutes. I'll believe it when I see it.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:26 PM   #55
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Remember that all motion is relative. The only way you could have a 700MPH crash is if one vehicle was traveling at a radically different speed from another. And the 30 second window between cars is plenty of time to slow down.

Now if somehow a vehicle did crash at that speed... well, if it makes you feel better the whole thing would be over in a fraction of a second.
I'm just wondering about their control system. The Space Mountain analogy works - if one car stops, everything behind it has to stop or KABOOM!!!

700 mph is faster than some bullets.... imagine that tube breaks and you now have a bullet the size of a train headed toward one of those farms alongside the 5 freeway

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion