Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Which Carrier are You with?
Straight Talk 45 7.77%
AT&T 261 45.08%
H2O Wireless 5 0.86%
Sprint 53 9.15%
Verizon 126 21.76%
T-Mobile 73 12.61%
Simple Mobile 2 0.35%
Red Pocket Mobile 3 0.52%
GoSmart Mobile 1 0.17%
Net 10 4 0.69%
Virgin Mobile USA 3 0.52%
Cricket Wireless 1 0.17%
Spot Mobile 0 0%
Walmart Family Mobile 0 0%
Ultra Mobile 2 0.35%
Platinum Tel (Ptel) 0 0%
Lyca Mobile 0 0%
Solavei 0 0%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:33 PM   #226
rcoyote
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
iPhone 5s Straight Talk GSM or CDMA best?

I am trying to figure out which full priced iPhone 5s to buy if I want to use straight talk. I understand that both would work. But it seems to me that the GSM model that works on the AT&T map would allow for 4G coverage where as the CDMA model will allow for Verizon's network, but only access 3G... Is this right?

I can figure out the other options/advantages, but this is one thing I'm not sure I am understanding. thanks
rcoyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 09:26 AM   #227
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoyote View Post
I am trying to figure out which full priced iPhone 5s to buy if I want to use straight talk. I understand that both would work. But it seems to me that the GSM model that works on the AT&T map would allow for 4G coverage where as the CDMA model will allow for Verizon's network, but only access 3G... Is this right?

I can figure out the other options/advantages, but this is one thing I'm not sure I am understanding. thanks
Get the VZW iPhone 5S for ST. If you are tired of ST, it will work perfectly on AT&T, TMo, and VZW. A true multi-carrier phone.
__________________
rMBP 15| MBA| riPad| TV| AEBS| iP5s|S4|One|GN3
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:59 AM   #228
Idefix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoyote View Post
I am trying to figure out which full priced iPhone 5s to buy if I want to use straight talk. I understand that both would work. But it seems to me that the GSM model that works on the AT&T map would allow for 4G coverage where as the CDMA model will allow for Verizon's network, but only access 3G... Is this right?

I can figure out the other options/advantages, but this is one thing I'm not sure I am understanding. thanks
I've got the Verizon 5S with the Straight Talk ATT SIM (cut down to fit) and have LTE where LTE is available.

My understanding is that ST gives you LTE only with ATT, not VZ.

NO Visual Voice Mail, just standard call-in voice mail. Probably really bothersome if you get lots of voice mail--which I don't.
Idefix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 02:24 PM   #229
Idefix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Since Visual Voice Mail is not available, here's how to get the "number-of-voice-mail-notification" back with iPhone 5S (this tip has been reported before, but it needs repeating

Go to Settings-General-Reset and reset the Network Settings. Shut down and restart after the process is done (the reset process itself does a restart.) The second restart was necessary for me, to get the "number" to show on voice mail.

I used Skype to call in and leave voice mail. Number showed up above voice mail as in the days of old, before we were spoiled by visual voice mail
Idefix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 07:11 PM   #230
Truefan31
macrumors 6502a
 
Truefan31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Just get a verizon 5s. All the bases covered. Except sprint. That's it
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:54 PM   #231
rcoyote
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
thanks Verizon ?

So when you're saying get the Verizon iPhone 5s. Would buying an iPhone direct from Apple full price set up for Verizon - that's one way of doing that correct? not necessarily buying from Verizon? which I could see how some would want Visual Voice Mail. I've used that long ago and it was nice, but I had not really thought about that. My understanding of buying the 5s from Verizon is that the phone has a few more limitations since it is packed with Verizon software. I don't like hassles and fixes as I'm not all too up to speed on all this... eventually I get to it. but just want things to work.

how about the sim card? I've seen many post and can find but just ordering direct from Straight talk sounds the simplest. getting from Walmart seemed like I may have to buy the iPhone from walmart... not sure.

thanks for knowing so much and taking the time for a newbie. I will do the same once I am in the know. S

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Get the VZW iPhone 5S for ST. If you are tired of ST, it will work perfectly on AT&T, TMo, and VZW. A true multi-carrier phone.
thx.. very clear answer I posted a few more ? on same thread...s

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefix View Post
Since Visual Voice Mail is not available, here's how to get the "number-of-voice-mail-notification" back with iPhone 5S (this tip has been reported before, but it needs repeating

Go to Settings-General-Reset and reset the Network Settings. Shut down and restart after the process is done (the reset process itself does a restart.) The second restart was necessary for me, to get the "number" to show on voice mail.

I used Skype to call in and leave voice mail. Number showed up above voice mail as in the days of old, before we were spoiled by visual voice mail
I use Skype now... works ok. are you saying this reset will show the voice mail notifications on Skype? I know they used to show up on my iTouch...now they don't. I was hoping the new iPhone would work a little better with new iOs 7. But I will save this note... Or does this note pertain to getting Visual Voice mail working... in which case is that a downloadable app? or is it best to buy the full priced iPhone 5s from Verizon? hopefully I'm getting it. It takes me awhile at times. Thx again.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truefan31 View Post
Just get a verizon 5s. All the bases covered. Except sprint. That's it
seems anything Sprint is not the way to go in regards to anything other than standard plans.

for the record I have not minded higher fees with Verizon. they have been great for everything, customer service, coverage etc. However, I am thinking about planning a trip to Thailand and India and do not want to be locked into the contract. I was pleasantly surprised by all the options and sort of excited to participate on what seems like good competition... more options for individual needs, budgets etc. I am always thankful for those who take the time to help out people like myself.... too bad the time is not some type of non-profit write off! at any rate... giving has a way of coming back around..thanks everyone for all comments!
rcoyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:58 PM   #232
Idefix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoyote View Post
I use Skype now... works ok. are you saying this reset will show the voice mail notifications on Skype? I know they used to show up on my iTouch...now they don't. I was hoping the new iPhone would work a little better with new iOs 7. But I will save this note... Or does this note pertain to getting Visual Voice mail working... in which case is that a downloadable app? or is it best to buy the full priced iPhone 5s from Verizon? hopefully I'm getting it. It takes me awhile at times. Thx again.
Visual Voicemail doesn't work on ST. My post applies to regular old-fashioned voice mail on the iPhone, eg where you have to dial in to listen to voice mail in the order in which the voice mail was received and where a numeral above "voice mail icon" indicates how many messages you have. Has nothing to do with Skype.
Idefix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 01:38 PM   #233
Truefan31
macrumors 6502a
 
Truefan31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoyote View Post
So when you're saying get the Verizon iPhone 5s. Would buying an iPhone direct from Apple full price set up for Verizon - that's one way of doing that correct? not necessarily buying from Verizon? which I could see how some would want Visual Voice Mail. I've used that long ago and it was nice, but I had not really thought about that. My understanding of buying the 5s from Verizon is that the phone has a few more limitations since it is packed with Verizon software. I don't like hassles and fixes as I'm not all too up to speed on all this... eventually I get to it. but just want things to work.



how about the sim card? I've seen many post and can find but just ordering direct from Straight talk sounds the simplest. getting from Walmart seemed like I may have to buy the iPhone from walmart... not sure.



thanks for knowing so much and taking the time for a newbie. I will do the same once I am in the know. S

----------





thx.. very clear answer I posted a few more ? on same thread...s

----------





I use Skype now... works ok. are you saying this reset will show the voice mail notifications on Skype? I know they used to show up on my iTouch...now they don't. I was hoping the new iPhone would work a little better with new iOs 7. But I will save this note... Or does this note pertain to getting Visual Voice mail working... in which case is that a downloadable app? or is it best to buy the full priced iPhone 5s from Verizon? hopefully I'm getting it. It takes me awhile at times. Thx again.

----------





seems anything Sprint is not the way to go in regards to anything other than standard plans.



for the record I have not minded higher fees with Verizon. they have been great for everything, customer service, coverage etc. However, I am thinking about planning a trip to Thailand and India and do not want to be locked into the contract. I was pleasantly surprised by all the options and sort of excited to participate on what seems like good competition... more options for individual needs, budgets etc. I am always thankful for those who take the time to help out people like myself.... too bad the time is not some type of non-profit write off! at any rate... giving has a way of coming back around..thanks everyone for all comments!

Get a verizon 5s. Really that's it. There's no software bloat ware on the iPhone, no limitations from Verizon. Go to the apple store ask for verizon 5s device only. There's a thread here also from a guy in how to order one online. You can even get one on contract and it's still gsm unlocked.
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 01:49 PM   #234
rcoyote
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truefan31 View Post
Get a verizon 5s. Really that's it. There's no software bloat ware on the iPhone, no limitations from Verizon. Go to the apple store ask for verizon 5s device only. There's a thread here also from a guy in how to order one online. You can even get one on contract and it's still gsm unlocked.
Got it! thanks. Now I'm going to buy it! I like any excuse to goto the apple store... I'm sure apple is not the best way to save money... ie. my iTouch and iOs 6 seems outdated all too fast, but usually if I factor in a "rent" factor and seek the old device if I need the $ or keep it for some purpose it ends up working out to own the relatively newer platforms... especially if I save some monthly dues on the phone contracts. Thanks again!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefix View Post
Visual Voicemail doesn't work on ST. My post applies to regular old-fashioned voice mail on the iPhone, eg where you have to dial in to listen to voice mail in the order in which the voice mail was received and where a numeral above "voice mail icon" indicates how many messages you have. Has nothing to do with Skype.
got it. I went super cheap for 2 years and just used Skype and wi-fi... 'had a work injury and kept cost down. I've grown to enjoy less noise in my life, but that said depending on Skype is like raising chickens so you can fry an egg.
rcoyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:06 AM   #235
BrazilBuzz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
IPhone 5s or 5c with Straight talk

I have read through most of the recent posts but still would like confirmation before I buy. Would it be best for me to buy a Verizon phone on the Apple website, then buy a SIM from Straight Talk? Will that work? Also is it the most financially sound way to go? Financially in terms of buying it from Apple store and getting the SIM chip from Straigh Talk.


Thanks guys!!
BrazilBuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: T-Mobile to start paying AT&T, Verizon & Sprint early termination fee on Jan 15 2014 EbookReader iPhone 100 Jan 22, 2014 09:03 AM
Rogers/Telus & Bell Alternative Carriers & Plans for All iPhone Users $56 LTE! Satnam1989 iPhone 13 Jan 1, 2013 10:37 PM
Verizon & AT&T: Unlimited, Tiered & Shared Plans Dwalls90 iPhone 5 Sep 19, 2012 07:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC