Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
london
I dont know if anybody has seen this before, but a quick search of macrumors suggest they haven't.
As you know, 2 monitors with full screen apps is stupid in lion and mountain lion. However, If you have 2 monitors, and on the second monitor (i.e. not the one with your dock) you put a geeklet (geektool) on it. Then disconnect the second monitor. Open up a full screen app, and go on the desktop. Then, as you swipe across to the full screen app, you will see the geeklet on top of the program. Does this sugggest proper full screen dual monitor support is coming? Can hackers do anything with this info?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I dont know if anybody has seen this before, but a quick search of macrumors suggest they haven't.
As you know, 2 monitors with full screen apps is stupid in lion and mountain lion. However, If you have 2 monitors, and on the second monitor (i.e. not the one with your dock) you put a geeklet (geektool) on it. Then disconnect the second monitor. Open up a full screen app, and go on the desktop. Then, as you swipe across to the full screen app, you will see the geeklet on top of the program. Does this sugggest proper full screen dual monitor support is coming? Can hackers do anything with this info?

Screwed for now.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I doubt it.
There isn't really any "full screen mode". It should be called SINGLE APP Mode.
If you use some bigger Programs like Eclipse that allow you to detach the entire GUI into many small Windows you can actually move those Windows to the other monitor and make use of it. It is screwed up because obviously the App doesn't know what to do as soon as you disconnect the monitor or close/open it again.
I think the only hope for us multi monitor users is that developers will not use this full screen API but stick with the old way. Bad example is HTML5 Video in most browser, where a full screen switch means you can forget working about the second monitor. One can only hope developers see the problem and stay clear of this BS mode.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I doubt it. There isn't really any "full screen mode". It should be called SINGLE APP Mode.
This is probably my biggest gripe with Apple's idea of Full Screen. I don't understand why merely hiding a menu bar should warrant all this fuss in an OS. Developers have been making apps truly full screen for years without all this dedicated desktop nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.