Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
We have come so, so very far over the years in computer gaming. It is just amazing. I find it hard to get worked up over some flat roses or vegetables myself. The criticism is valid in one sense. They are not photorealistic but how important is that to the game experience overall is the question? I think most gamers would tend to be taken in by the world in general, the characters, the story, the action, the music, etc. to a point where minor flaws in presentation become trivial.

It is also worth mentioning that art direction in games often involves more than simply trying to create photorealistic environments. For example, 2004's World of Warcraft has cartoon style graphics but it is a wonderful, colorful, fun place to be if you like it which I do. I'm fine with the trees there which are similar to but not as good as the rose bush graphic linked above. I don't stare at them really. They are just part of the total environment, the background.

Anyway, to me at this point further advances in graphics are nice and all but they are not necessary for me to be immersed in and enjoy a well made game. But I have no trouble looking beyond stuff like this for older titles either. I thought Baldur's Gate (running with the BG2 engine) last year when I played it was fantastic. It looked fine to me. Nothing cutting edge there, that is for sure but it looks nice enough and was really fun to play.

I am someone who would take in a game like Bioshock Infinite and be mesmerized by the total package I expect, flat fruits and all. Good graphics are nice sure but there is much, much more to an excellent game and nowadays in my opinion, most graphics are more than good enough.

I guess the thing is, I expect a game to look like well, a game. I don't expect it to look like a movie.

Larzinator

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I need Help!

Hi, I have a 13" MBP and Bioshock only lets me go up to 1280x800. I go into the UIUserOptions and change my resolution (X&Y) to the ones I want, and when I launch the game, it automatically goes back to 1280x800! Can anyone help?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Hi, I have a 13" MBP and Bioshock only lets me go up to 1280x800. I go into the UIUserOptions and change my resolution (X&Y) to the ones I want, and when I launch the game, it automatically goes back to 1280x800! Can anyone help?
As long as you do not mean the 13" Retina MBP, that's because the screen only supports 1280x800.

If you do in fact talk about the rMBP, that's because of the somewhat weird way OS X handles the Retina resolutions. The standard HiDPI resolution (in your case 2560x1600) is actually handled the same way as 1280x800 on a normal DPI screen. At that setting, many games do not "see" higher resolutions than that (1280x800). If you want to have higher resolutions available, you'll have to change the resolution in the System Preferences first: go the "Monitor" control panel, select "Scaled" and pick one of the "More Space" settings.

I would not recommend that, though, since the GPU in your MBP isn't very powerful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.