Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I've been wanting to boot camp my MBP as soon as I got it. What's the easiest way? I don't want to use Parallels or VMWare since it merges everything I have on my existing Windows computer via network sync. I don't have an .iso image. Is there an easy way?

chas337

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
UK
ive got it running on my mini I managed to get a demo windows 8 version all you do Is plug In a hard drive select the .iso and run :)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I've been wanting to boot camp my MBP as soon as I got it. What's the easiest way? I don't want to use Parallels or VMWare since it merges everything I have on my existing Windows computer via network sync. I don't have an .iso image. Is there an easy way?

VMware or Parallels is not bootcamping.

Just start bootcamp assistant and follow the on screen instructions. Have your windows 7 disc handy. It's really that simple.

chas337

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
UK
yea im pretty Shure do u want me to try and find the link when I boot up in osx

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm downloading the .iso image now. Should I just use Boot Camp Assistant and it'll handle the rest?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
So I'm in Boot Camp Assistant and downloaded a .iso image to my flash drive. BCA isn't recognizing it and asking me to enter a disc. My Mac doesn't have an optical drive.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
BCA should have given you an option to create the USB from an ISO. You need to do that, you can't simply copy the ISO to the flash drive.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
BCA should have given you an option to create the USB from an ISO. You need to do that, you can't simply copy the ISO to the flash drive.

Oh.... damn. Boot Camp Assistant says "Save a Copy to an External Drive". Then I'm pretty sure it asks me to insert a disc after "WindowsSupport" downloads.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Read the screen carefully, IIRC correctly the "disk" also includes flash drives, which applies in your case since you have the rMBP. Re run BCA to put the ISO onto the flash drive.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Read the screen carefully, IIRC correctly the "disk" also includes flash drives, which applies in your case since you have the rMBP. Re run BCA to put the ISO onto the flash drive.

I tried. Apparently I don't have enough space to support it when the .iso is less than 4gb (size of flash drive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.