Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:29 AM   #1
vrrr
macrumors newbie

Possible to jailbreak 5.1.1 without shsh blobs?

Hi all,

This is just a quick question I have: If I buy a new iPod Touch 4th generation from the Apple store (hopefully with ios 5.1.1 preinstalled) can I jailbreak it using redsn0w eventhough Apple is not signing/issuing shsh blobs for the 5.1.1 ios firmware anymore?

I realise that I can't get the shsh blobs, but will I be able to jailbreak it using redsn0w?
vrrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Yes, blobs are only fir restoring not for jailbreaking
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:11 AM   #3
vrrr
macrumors newbie

Wink Great thankyou...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post
Yes, blobs are only fir restoring not for jailbreaking
Thanks for the quick reply. I need a jailbroken device so I can preload some apps I got developed and leave the device with clients to demo for a few days. I didn't want to give them my personal phone (which is jailbroken and has my apps on it) so wanted to buy a new iPod touch 4th gen so I could jailbreak it and load the apps on there and give them that one.

I then realised that I upgraded my wifes phone to IOS 5.1.1 a few months ago. She has no need for homebrew so I didn't bother jailbreaking it at the time. I have now just jailbroken her device successfully using redsn0w. Eveything went fine

Now I know this is possible (jailbreaking an older iOS for which Apple is no longer issing shsh blobs for), I'm going to get a new iPod today to take advantage of the Black Friday specials. The only requirement is that the iPod 4th 16gb MUST be on 5.1.1 so I am going to ask the Apple staff before buying it to make sure. I hope they aren't preloading them with 6.0.1...

Ideally, I would have liked to get the 5.1.1 shsh blobs in the event one of my clients accidentally upgrades iOS to 6 while it's in their hands but I guess that's a risk I have to take. I wonder why it's not possible to take an image of an iDevice and restore it in the future? Somone should port Clonezilla to iOS
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:37 AM   #4
vrrr
macrumors newbie

i've just confirmed with an apple rep over the phone that the 4th iPod touch should come with ios5 on it. he wasn't sure of the revision however...

But he did say that if it hasn't got 5.1.1 on it I could return it within 30 days

thumbs up to apple for having great consumer return procedures while other stores are going backwards with theirs (i'm looking at you Myer)...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks