Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinchivers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Bath, Somerset, UK
When I bought the mac, a couple of years ago, I installed an epson R200 and a 4880. I also installed my Mitsubishi dye-sub.

I had problems from day one, and could only get 2 of the 3 working at one time. Uninstall/reinstall mess around etc, etc. I have forgotten the process exactly. Anyway, I gave up altogether & priorities to the 4880 & dyesub. All printers are installed via USB, not network.

I have been running the R200 on an old PC, but that has now broken down & I have now acquired a canon iP4200. That is currently installed on the PC & is fantastic. HOWEVER, In an ideal world, I would like to run it via my mac.

Both 4880 & dyesub are working fine, and the 4880 in particular has a huge amount of personal settings.

......THEREFORE, my dilemma.....Do I install the canon & hope all 3 work or continue to use it on the PC. All of my documents are designed on the mac & then transferred over to the PC, but inevitably there are always little niggles with file (.docx) compatibility (fonts etc) between pc & mac.

Has the mac any limitation on the number of printers it runs? Can anybody shed light on why one 2 printers work at any given time? I had experienced the same proplem to, with a xerox lazer.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
When I bought the mac, a couple of years ago, I installed an epson R200 and a 4880. I also installed my Mitsubishi dye-sub.

I had problems from day one, and could only get 2 of the 3 working at one time. Uninstall/reinstall mess around etc, etc. I have forgotten the process exactly. Anyway, I gave up altogether & priorities to the 4880 & dyesub. All printers are installed via USB, not network.

I have been running the R200 on an old PC, but that has now broken down & I have now acquired a canon iP4200. That is currently installed on the PC & is fantastic. HOWEVER, In an ideal world, I would like to run it via my mac.

Both 4880 & dyesub are working fine, and the 4880 in particular has a huge amount of personal settings.

......THEREFORE, my dilemma.....Do I install the canon & hope all 3 work or continue to use it on the PC. All of my documents are designed on the mac & then transferred over to the PC, but inevitably there are always little niggles with file (.docx) compatibility (fonts etc) between pc & mac.

Has the mac any limitation on the number of printers it runs? Can anybody shed light on why one 2 printers work at any given time? I had experienced the same proplem to, with a xerox lazer.

Does your Mac have an ethernet port? The 4880 has ethernet connectivity; maybe you can connect it that way and then connect the Pixma via USB.

Another option could be to attach your printer to a print server or your router and share it that way on the network. If you use an Airport or Time Capsule this is easy.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I currently have 5 printers connected to my iMac ... 2 laser jet, 1 inkjet with scanner and fax, 1 photo inkjet, and a Dymo dual label printer. Three are via USB and two of them are ethernet attached with built-in print servers. I share all of them from the iMac so any of the household WiFi connected laptop computers can access any of them.

I don't know why you would be seeing a limit on connected printers unless there is some conflict with the drivers.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
...THEREFORE, my dilemma.....Do I install the canon & hope all 3 work or continue to use it on the PC. All of my documents are designed on the mac & then transferred over to the PC, but inevitably there are always little niggles with file (.docx) compatibility (fonts etc) between pc & mac.

I think this is what PDF is for... print the .docx on your Mac as a .pdf... that *should* keep the fonts the same when transfering the file to a windows machine for printing on the PC printer...

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
3 Printers here.

Canon MX860 connected via wired network; Canon Pro9500II via USB; and Brother HL-2270DW via wired network.

Looks like it is time to figure out what is messing with your printer(s) setup. Clearly, you ought to have all connected and in working order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.