Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arsenalgear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Hi,

Recently I purchased an Apple Certified Refurbished 4th generation iPod touch on ebay. Upon charging the device and quickly fiddling around with it, I noticed the battery seems to be draining extremely fast. For example, I fully charged it last Tuesday (3/26/13) and today I cannot start it up. It displays a red battery indicator. It has been on standby the whole time. I only turned it on 2 times to check the standby time. Halfway through this process, I checked the usage and standby time and it showed that it had 4 hours of usage and 4 days of standby time left.

To give you some background info:

- BT is off

- WiFi is on

- iTunes wireless sync is on

- Push notifications are on (I do not receive that many on my other devices)

- iCloud backup is on

- Mail is set to retrieve manually

These are the same settings as my two-year-old iPad 2, which does not have this issue.

Is this battery life behavior normal for the 4G iPod touch with the above settings enabled or does it appear I am having a problem?

Thank you very much!

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Weird

I've never had this problem with mine or heard of it, but based on the information given, its probably a piece of **** and you should return it if possible. Maybe recharge it and try again a few times and if it repeats the same thing, then it's most likely a bad battery and you're screwed. Good luck

arsenalgear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Yes, my 2G iPod touch, even though it does not have all the features, such as iCloud and WiFi sync, that could drain the battery, actually has better battery life after 4 1/2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.