Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
3 owners can update then. Price of 4 will be lower... and/or newer iPad will be out with new features/speed.
The ipad 4 will mostly likely have enough processing power for at least 2 years given it's speed is more than double that of the ipad 3.

I suppose it all depends on what you use the tablet for.If you are just going to browse the internet or a bunch of photos,then the 3 is good enough for years to come.

The ipad3 is already on the ragged edge playing current state of the art games.It's safe to say once the ipad 5 comes out and new games and apps are released to take advantage of the superior hardware the 5,the ipad3 will struggle but the 4 will keep up.It might be less than a year.

Having said all of this,I probably wouldn't upgrade to a 4 if I had a 3.But if I had to choose between a 3 and 4 right now,I would rather pay a bit more and get the 4.I would then say stuff the 5 and 6 and I will wait for the 7 before upgrading.If I buy the 3 now,it might struggle with a lot of apps in a years time so I might have to upgrade earlier than anticipated to get the 5.If I was going to do that I may as well just wait for the 5 and skip the 3 altogether.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Medic13,

Time will tell how many flip the 4 for the 5. I am not planning to do so for size and weight difference, it isn't going to make the 5 more portable.

What else would entice me per se at this point then? More so the Mini 2 with retina and also cellular included for the same price as the original. I only need 16gb really.

If I did go with the 3 over the 4, the updated tech in the 5 and the difference in size and weight would have thrown me over the fence. But since I just bought in over the past holiday season, that would not have been practical. Too short of a life cycle for my taste.

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Medic13,

Time will tell how many flip the 4 for the 5. I am not planning to do so for size and weight difference, it isn't going to make the 5 more portable.

What else would entice me per se at this point then? More so the Mini 2 with retina and also cellular included for the same price as the original. I only need 16gb really.

If I did go with the 3 over the 4, the updated tech in the 5 and the difference in size and weight would have thrown me over the fence. But since I just bought in over the past holiday season, that would not have been practical. Too short of a life cycle for my taste.

iPad Mini Retina would be sweet - for that i would ditch the iPad 3

unless that materializes this year though, i'm sticking with the iPad 3

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'd read the mess a couple posts up if the poster knew how to use paragraphs, but he doesn,t so it's not worth the headache to sift through...

I don't understand why everyone on this forum feels this incessant need to **** all over the iPad 4...whether it's the mini owners, the iPad 3 owners, or the iPad 2 owners, it's like everyone feels the need to take a shot at the iPad 4 for some lame reason. I've never seen so much hate for a device in a forum.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. It's better than your 2, your 3, and your mini - plain and simple it's the most powerful and capable iPad ever made up to this point and there seems to be a lot of denial about that. Bt who cares, feel free to try and make 4 owners feel small when you upgrade your 3 for a 5 and come in and continue ******** all over the 4. We all know there will be plenty of those posts before the flood of scuffgate posts that will soon follow.

I love my 4 and never felt insecure enough to take a dump on iPad 3 owners. Will I upgrade to a 5? Maybe, maybe not, depends what Apple releases, but I sure won't be a dick about it.

I think the criticism of the 4 comes from a combination of two kinds of people. The immature ones slating it to justify their (now) older iPad to themselves and those who still harbour rage at the way Apple handed the iPad 3 situation.

Last year I will admit I was fuming, I felt ripped off by Apple having waited until the 3rd gen before making an investment, and paying for the top end model. I got my 3 in June and it was replaced in October? Understandable to be angry.

Now though? Meh.

My 3 still runs superbly, it's fast, runs all apps I need well (especially Real Racing 3 which I am addicted to), and to be honest people need to focus on enjoying the things they have. There are people out there who would love an iPad, so I'm grateful to own one.

Sure, in time the A6X will show its potential and the 3 will slow down. All I'll do is evaluate the performance impact of each version of iOS via Developer Previews so that I can roll back to the current version should the new version impact performance too much.

Simples.

jmann

macrumors 604
I think the iPad 3 wins because dock:

1932727_120312130637_ipad7.png

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The ipad 4 will mostly likely have enough processing power for at least 2 years given it's speed is more than double that of the ipad 3.

I suppose it all depends on what you use the tablet for.If you are just going to browse the internet or a bunch of photos,then the 3 is good enough for years to come.

The ipad3 is already on the ragged edge playing current state of the art games.It's safe to say once the ipad 5 comes out and new games and apps are released to take advantage of the superior hardware the 5,the ipad3 will struggle but the 4 will keep up.It might be less than a year.

Having said all of this,I probably wouldn't upgrade to a 4 if I had a 3.But if I had to choose between a 3 and 4 right now,I would rather pay a bit more and get the 4.I would then say stuff the 5 and 6 and I will wait for the 7 before upgrading.If I buy the 3 now,it might struggle with a lot of apps in a years time so I might have to upgrade earlier than anticipated to get the 5.If I was going to do that I may as well just wait for the 5 and skip the 3 altogether.

...but the 5 is going to be so beautiful to look at, you really will not be able to resist not upgrading.

princebig7

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
I just bought the 3 from this girl off craigslist. She was dieing for a mini (complaint that 3 was too heavy). She just got the 3 in August 2012 and it is in impeccable shape (not one scratch scuff anywhere). She sold me it along with two smart cases, unused screen protector and it is still under warranty for 3 half months for $270! Lol I kept checking all the inputs and serial number just to make sure, seemed to good to be true but case in point I love it for my first ipad! Maybe ill add ipad mini 2 if the rumors on it are true. There are people out there just unloading there ipad 3 just to upgrade or get rid of it before it goes down more in value, check it out there are some steals out there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.