Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...os-new-plan-increases-monthly-data/2013-07-17

Now, the company is offering unlimited voice and texting and 2.5 GB of high-speed data for $39.88 per month. If users consume more than 2.5 GB per month, their data speeds are slowed.

Walmart Family Mobile is available across a wide range of full-price phones, including Android and iOS devices.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Family-Mobile/1076544

unlimited talk, unlimited text, no data: $29.88 a month
unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2.5GB data (slow down afterward): $39.88 a month

Add Lines:

unlimited talk, unlimited text, no data: $24.88 a month
unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2.5GB data (slow down afterward): $34.88 a month

From the link, the coverage map look like T-Mobile network + roaming agreements that T-Mobile signed with other carriers.

TBW_167366_WMT_05.jpg

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks for the heads up. It's nice to have options since t-mobiles $30/mo 100 minute plan might not be enough minutes for some people.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for the heads up. It's nice to have options since t-mobiles $30/mo 100 minute plan might not be enough minutes for some people.

For people that don't really need data (some people just use the phone for talking and/or texting) or just use wifi for data, the $29.88 for unlimited talk and text is an amazing deal IMO.

If Walmart is doing this, maybe Amazon is looking at it too...especially when Amazon release its own smartphone.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
How does this differ from Straight Talk? That service was also only available through Walmart. Straight Talk seemed to be an MNVO of AT&T where Walmart Family Mobile seems to be an MNVO of T-Mobile.

JavierDiaz4

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Oh come on TMobile. Why cant you work for me, whyyyyyyyyyyyy? This is the deal I've been waiting for. Oh whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
How does this differ from Straight Talk? That service was also only available through Walmart. Straight Talk seemed to be an MNVO of AT&T where Walmart Family Mobile seems to be an MNVO of T-Mobile.

Straight Talk was an AT&T and T-Mobile MVNO. While still currently running on both networks, Straight Talk is now only available on T-Mobile for new customers.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Straight Talk was an AT&T and T-Mobile MVNO. While still currently running on both networks, Straight Talk is now only available on T-Mobile for new customers.

Straight Talk was also an MVNO on Verizon with certain iPhones bought at WalMart, instead of the bring your own device for ST on AT&T or T-Mobile.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Do u have access to tmobile LTE network with Walmart family mobile?

With prepaid straight talk or even ATT's own AIO wireless doesn't allow Phones to access its own LTE network at first. But last month started allowing access to LTE network.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
For people that don't really need data (some people just use the phone for talking and/or texting) or just use wifi for data, the $29.88 for unlimited talk and text is an amazing deal IMO.

If Walmart is doing this, maybe Amazon is looking at it too...especially when Amazon release its own smartphone.

The $29.88 plan from Walmart family mobile is nothing new...

Other AT&T & T-Mobile MVNO's been offering the same plan for a long time...some even include small amounts of data from 10MB-50MB+International Text + International calling....way better than walmart....
- UltraMobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
- H2O (AT&T MVNO)
- GoRedPocket (AT&T MVNO)
- SpotMobile - $24.99 (T-Mobile MVNO)
- Few other carriers also offer it and the list goes on...
As for the $40 plan goes...its also not a HIT...I would suggest to go with GoSmart $45 if one really wants to be on T-Mobile MVNO...Unlimited Talk+TExt+International Text + 5GB Data...cant beat that...not to mention GoSmart is owned directly by T-Mobile

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Am i reading that right that someone would have to pay $25 for essentially just a SIM card? If you so damn Americans get ripped off.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Am i reading that right that someone would have to pay $25 for essentially just a SIM card? If you so damn Americans get ripped off.

that is correct...thats why I outlined options above that have much cheaper SIM cards and plans with few more perks with same price...

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011

I'm paying $4.33 a month for my cell phone service and I reside in the USA. The trick is staying off of the cellular network as much as you can. I take advantage of Google Voice for texting and free VIOP calling for voice communication while on my home WiFi. The only reason I pay the $4.33 a month is for airtime credit while I'm not at home.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
The $29.88 plan from Walmart family mobile is nothing new...

Other AT&T & T-Mobile MVNO's been offering the same plan for a long time...some even include small amounts of data from 10MB-50MB+International Text + International calling....way better than walmart....
- UltraMobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
- H2O (AT&T MVNO)
- GoRedPocket (AT&T MVNO)
- SpotMobile - $24.99 (T-Mobile MVNO)
- Few other carriers also offer it and the list goes on...
As for the $40 plan goes...its also not a HIT...I would suggest to go with GoSmart $45 if one really wants to be on T-Mobile MVNO...Unlimited Talk+TExt+International Text + 5GB Data...cant beat that...not to mention GoSmart is owned directly by T-Mobile

These MVNO are not well known and not in a lot of retailers. Some are online only.

Walmart has 4,049 locations in the USA. Can you find a better deal at Target? Best Buy? Radioshack?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
These MVNO are not well known and not in a lot of retailers. Some are online only.

Walmart has 4,049 locations in the USA. Can you find a better deal at Target? Best Buy? Radioshack?

AT&T MVNO's (H2O and GoRedPocket) have been around for quiet some time...definitely well before Walmart Family Mobile came around...Yes ever since the launch of T-Mobile 1900MHz a huge growth spurt has occurred in its MVNO's (Ultra Mobile, Platinum Tel, Black wireless, Spot Mobile and even Straight Talk made the jump)

No you cant find any of these at walmart...but you can find them all at any privately owned cell phone stores/booth in every mall, city, town, county etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.