Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabalczar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
My replacement 13-inch 2012 Air arrived today with a Samsung screen and Samsung SSD.

A couple of observations and a warning.

1. The Samsung measures faster than the Toshiba on disk tests.

2. I have two 13-inch 2012 Airs next to each other in my house. One with LG, the other with a Samsung LCD. They are definitely different. I prefer the Samsung, others might disagree.

Finally, a warning

I migrated onto the new 13-inch Air (with Samsung) from my LG 13-inch via Time Machine It seemed to import the colour calibration file from the LG Air too (which as others have noted is different). The new screen (Samsung) was awful - washed out, blue all over. On top of this I couldn't alter the colour calibration. I got a message saying the factory settings are no longer available.

The remedy was simple: wipe and reinstall OS X 10.8.2, then reinstall my files manually. I guess this means the Samsung screen was then set up with correct colour calibration.

If anybody is wondering why their screen is not looking so great, it could be due to a migration from a different machine with different settings via Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.