Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hello,

I have an Iphone 5 16GB and it worked fine from day one. Now, half a month later after getting it, the sleep/wake button is nearly flush with the phone (like it got pushed in) and only works half the time. I have the OtterBox Defender Series case and noticed that I would have to push harder to have it work. Sometimes, only one side would work of the sleep/wake button and the other wouldn't. Should I most likely get it checked by a Genius? I have an appointment tomorrow for my Ipad 3 (wifi issues). I assume this button should work no matter if its pressed dead center, left side or right side.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Hello,

I have an Iphone 5 16GB and it worked fine from day one. Now, half a month later after getting it, the sleep/wake button is nearly flush with the phone (like it got pushed in) and only works half the time. I have the OtterBox Defender Series case and noticed that I would have to push harder to have it work. Sometimes, only one side would work of the sleep/wake button and the other wouldn't. Should I most likely get it checked by a Genius? I have an appointment tomorrow for my Ipad 3 (wifi issues). I assume this button should work no matter if its pressed dead center, left side or right side.

I got my phone replaced today because of that. Only one side would work sometime.

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
I have this same issue. The problem does not occur all the time, but when it does it lasts long enough to be problematic.

I am worried a trip the the genius bar would be wasted because there is no guarantee that the problem could be reproduced. another problem is that my phone is mildly cracked. It is not shattered into a million pieces, but it is cracked, so even if they can reproduce the problem, they may blame it on the drop that cracked the screen.

Anyone have any experience getting a warranty replacement with a cracked screen for a completely independent issue?

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I am going tomorrow to get it fixed. I compared it to two other brand new iPhone 5's at my house and both did not have this problem. Other than that, the phone works really nice.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Same thing happened to my friends launch i5. About 1 month after, it started getting hard to press. Then progressively worse. Until one day i saw him really struggling with it. I said, you should really get that replaced man lol.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Thanks for the replies. I am going tomorrow to get it fixed. I compared it to two other brand new iPhone 5's at my house and both did not have this problem. Other than that, the phone works really nice.

Back it up first. There is no fix. You'll be getting a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.