Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Adam1988
macrumors member

Where do can i get protection for my imac

Ive seen in my school that there is macintosh computers (imacs) with the avg antivirus logo on the dock or on the upper right hand corner i do not know where to find the right one for my imac. Also i need it to scan my hdd of my laptop just to check if its the problem to buy a new ram, motherboard, or hdd.
Thank you so much please any help links anything will be greatly greatly appreciated

Last edited by Adam1988; Mar 20, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
Adam1988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:53 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

AV software is not needed if you employ the proper security steps on your Mac.
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
As for knowing when to get new RAM, open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used after a day of typical use and if the Page Outs are more than 750 MB you can profit from additional RAM.
Using Activity Monitor to show you CPU and RAM usage
* Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
As for the HDD, it depends on how much storage or how fast a storage medium should be for you, there is no general software to tell you when to get a new HDD, unless you look at its S.M.A.R.T. status and it shows as failing. That is what a backup is there for.

As for logic board (mother board), you cannot replace those that easily with a any Mac.
If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.
Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios
simsaladimbamba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:53 AM   #3
maflynn

You're going to get a lot of members stating that you won't and don't need antivirus software.

The biggest thread to the Mac Platform is not viruses but malware and if you're careful of what you install (because with OSX you are promoted for a password to install) you'll avoid 99% of the potential threats.

Furthermore many of the antivirus software for the mac is actually worse then dealing with a virus, i.e., norton antivirus.

Please do a search on this, as this topic has been covered quite a bit and there's already plenty of information in this forum,.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Adam1988
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
You're going to get a lot of members stating that you won't and don't need antivirus software.

The biggest thread to the Mac Platform is not viruses but malware and if you're careful of what you install (because with OSX you are promoted for a password to install) you'll avoid 99% of the potential threats.

Furthermore many of the antivirus software for the mac is actually worse then dealing with a virus, i.e., norton antivirus.

Please do a search on this, as this topic has been covered quite a bit and there's already plenty of information in this forum,.
Thank you for this helpful information!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
AV software is not needed if you employ the proper security steps on your Mac.
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
As for knowing when to get new RAM, open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used after a day of typical use and if the Page Outs are more than 750 MB you can profit from additional RAM.
Using Activity Monitor to show you CPU and RAM usage
* Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
As for the HDD, it depends on how much storage or how fast a storage medium should be for you, there is no general software to tell you when to get a new HDD, unless you look at its S.M.A.R.T. status and it shows as failing. That is what a backup is there for.

As for logic board (mother board), you cannot replace those that easily with a any Mac.
If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.
Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios
So why would they install AVG and CCLEANER in the imacs of my school?
=0
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:14 AM   #5
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1988 View Post
=0
Probably because they do not know better and / or those applications work for their routine, since school computers are tougher to maintain in a way, since students are going to abuse them.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Adam1988
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Probably because they do not know better and / or those applications work for their routine, since school computers are tougher to maintain in a way, since students are going to abuse them.
aaaaaah no wonder haha thank you so much!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:15 AM   #7
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1988 View Post
Schools very often have to comply with regulations imposed on them. They may be obliged to install AV software on all computers, because some audit says that's a box they have to tick.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:46 AM   #8
Adam1988
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
schools very often have to comply with regulations imposed on them. They may be obliged to install av software on all computers, because some audit says that's a box they have to tick.

thank you thank you for your help! :d

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store