Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 13, 2013, 08:49 PM   #176
heisetax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonMac50 View Post
I could. The reviews show that it doesn't always provide enough power (depending on the device). Anyway, it's one more thing to have to buy.
It just makes the iMac a not all in one computer. First add a modem for when you must send some over the phone line faxes. Then add an external DVD drive for those times that only a drive can handle what you want & need to do. Then add an external FW800 port adapter as like many here we have 10 or more FW800 drives & no, :0" YSB 2 drives, let alone an USB3 model. We now have an all in four computer. This makes the new iMac look pretty junky.
heisetax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #177
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisetax View Post
It just makes the iMac a not all in one computer. First add a modem for when you must send some over the phone line faxes. Then add an external DVD drive for those times that only a drive can handle what you want & need to do. Then add an external FW800 port adapter as like many here we have 10 or more FW800 drives & no, :0" YSB 2 drives, let alone an USB3 model. We now have an all in four computer. This makes the new iMac look pretty junky.
Exactly!
AnonMac50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:26 PM   #178
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisetax View Post
How do you handle your floppies, tape backup, PCMCIA cards, and SCSI peripherals?

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:42 PM   #179
toddzrx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
How do you handle your floppies, tape backup, PCMCIA cards, and SCSI peripherals?

/Jim
Those technologies are irrelevant now, but FW800; not so much. It's faster than USB 2, which is still very common. Apple kept a FW800 port on the Mini; why not one on the iMac?
toddzrx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #180
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzrx View Post
Those technologies are irrelevant now, but FW800; not so much. It's faster than USB 2, which is still very common. Apple kept a FW800 port on the Mini; why not one on the iMac?
My post was tongue in cheek... but:
  • Modem: in 2013???
  • FW: primarily used by the pro/enthusiast market... and Apple provided a "near free" TB dongle... that pretty much disappears into the cable... hardly an inconvenience. The market is quickly moving to FW as evidenced by the FW excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.
  • DVD: I personally wish they kept it for another couple of years... but I only use it a couple of times per year (and decreasing)... so using an external really isn't a problem.

Personally, I think all of the above are either already extinct... or [DVD] going extinct. I appreciate that Apple is not afraid to push the removal of legacy... sometimes even quicker than I would prefer. It helps accelerate technology transitions.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:57 PM   #181
toddzrx
macrumors regular

Quote:
My post was tongue in cheek... but:
  • Modem: in 2013???
  • FW: primarily used by the pro/enthusiast market... and Apple provided a "near free" TB dongle... that pretty much disappears into the cable... hardly an inconvenience. The market is quickly moving to FW as evidenced by the FW excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.
  • DVD: I personally wish they kept it for another couple of years... but I only use it a couple of times per year (and decreasing)... so using an external really isn't a problem.

Personally, I think all of the above are either already extinct... or [DVD] going extinct. I appreciate that Apple is not afraid to push the removal of legacy... sometimes even quicker than I would prefer. It helps accelerate technology transitions.

/Jim
Yup; got your humor.

For me, I was ok seeing the optical drive go away (even though I just recently re-ripped my entire CD collection into the Apple lossless format). But seeing FW go away was a little puzzling, given its capabilities and minor ubiquity.

In the end though, you're right: Apple's not afraid to push technology by leaving the old behind.
toddzrx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 06:27 PM   #182
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
The market is quickly moving to FW as evidenced by the FW excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.
Quoting myself:

I made a mistake. The statement above should have been TB... not FW.

Corrected version: The market is quickly moving to TB as evidenced by the TB excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.

/Jim
Old May 15, 2013, 06:52 PM   #183
palmharbor
Banned

Exclamation Your opinion is not requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaverasgrande View Post
I'm just curious if anyone else is kind of annoyed with the "form over function" gaffe that is the iMac.
I was thinking of picking one of these up for my studio before I had the day to day experience of actually sitting at one. We have a 21.5" here at work that I have to maintain. I find it extremely annoying that every single connection is on the back.
I can kind of understand the USB, ethernet and TB connectors being on the back. In many usage scenarios I bet it just gets plugged in and the only thing that changes are the batteries for the wireless input devices.
Putting the SD card reader on the back is just idiotic. Esp since the SD card readers on Macs are so damn finicky and don't even hold the card all the way in. Thing is, you can put an extension cable on the USB ports or even plug in a hub. SD cards don't work like that. So we have just made do by plugging in a card reader on a USB cord. Kind of obviates the need for the onboard reader!

It would have been a much better design if the ports were either on the side or the bottom. That way they are accessible even if it's backed up against a wall (or in the back corner of a cube the way these get set up in most offices).

but then it wouldn't look as thin!
Sorry Apple, nobody thought the previous iMac was too fat.

palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:53 PM   #184
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Corrected version: The market is quickly moving to TB as evidenced by the TB excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.
They said FW 1600/3200 was coming back in 2007. (LIARS!!!)
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:06 PM   #185
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

</>

Last edited by calaverasgrande; Jan 13, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:17 AM   #186
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaverasgrande View Post
Indeed! I seriously banked on that occuring. I actually told a few of my colleagues not to bother with that stupid lightpeak thing or USB 3.0 because FW1600/3200 was gonna rock!
Guess Intel and Apple had a sit down...
I am pretty impressed with TB. Not everyone needs it... but those who do, quickly realize that TB is actually a bargain. In many ways, similar to FW... except better.

/Jim

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac