Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:01 AM   #51
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
What I'm wondering is... at some point, should I write my own programming language that has all those features I miss when I change from language to language?
I haven't read other replies so you'll have to forgive me if I'm just repeating what others have said, but $^#@ no.

The only reason you should do this is if you have a lot of funding behind you, a very strong core team dedicated to the job, and a reason beyond "this code writes funny."

You can't write a language that is good for everything. If you have a problem to solve and don't think any language is available that adequately solves the problem (not perfectly mind you), AND you can fulfill the other above criteria, go nuts. Otherwise, my personal opinion is that you'd be wasting your time.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 03:19 PM   #52
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0vr View Post
I haven't read other replies so you'll have to forgive me if I'm just repeating what others have said, but $^#@ no.

The only reason you should do this is if you have a lot of funding behind you, a very strong core team dedicated to the job, and a reason beyond "this code writes funny."

You can't write a language that is good for everything. If you have a problem to solve and don't think any language is available that adequately solves the problem (not perfectly mind you), AND you can fulfill the other above criteria, go nuts. Otherwise, my personal opinion is that you'd be wasting your time.
Well... not wasting their time perhaps. Doing it properly (i.e. not just a syntax-level reskinning of an existing language) is a pretty great educational experience.

I wouldn't expect to produce something generally useful though, true.
Catfish_Man is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2013, 04:46 PM   #53
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
what is the difference between nil, null, and NULL?
It's Nil, nil and NULL.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:26 PM   #54
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
It's Nil, nil and NULL.

The way you can blend C and Obj-C (and C++) is both a blessing and a curse. It makes writing valid Obj-C code easier for people leaping from C or C++, but then it also makes it less likely that you'll use some of Obj-C's features (IE, using enumeration blocks instead of for loops.)
Old Sep 9, 2013, 08:10 AM   #55
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
Well... not wasting their time perhaps. Doing it properly (i.e. not just a syntax-level reskinning of an existing language) is a pretty great educational experience.

I wouldn't expect to produce something generally useful though, true.
Very true, an exceptionally wonderful learning experience if that is what you are doing it for, but in terms of the OP wanting to blend parts of different languages they liked together, I still believe a waste of time.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming