Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Not to shoot your hopes down, but battlefield is not the only franchise DICE develops.
The job mission, as described, is to port Frostbite to OSX. Wikipedia tells me that among the DICE games using Frostbite, there's only Battlefield and MOH.

jobush

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
The job mission, as described, is to port Frostbite to OSX. Wikipedia tells me that among the DICE games using Frostbite, there's only Battlefield and MOH.

That is a fair argument to make. But I still believe that a battlefield port for Mac is still unlikely. If at anything, I believe it will be focused more on future cross-platform develoopment on the more casual gaming segment.

As you have said, the job is to port the engine, not games. Engine develpment is different from game port and development. :)

Dice may simply produce the ported engine, deliver to other studios and provide other assistance during their development and/or deployment.

"work closely with game team customers" sound like engine deployment for third parties, not Dice itself. Dice has a strong stance with the Battlefield franchise, it is just that I see (and quite certain that they too,) no merit for delivering Battlefield franchise to OSX users. I mean, there are so few machines (Mac based) that will actually run the thing properly, and fewer users who would wait for it to be released for OS X. Most people would already have gotten Bootcamp installations.

No one knows for sure what this development is about, but that's my view.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Porting Forstbite to openGL/OSX is certainly no easy task. Once done, I suppose making a particular game work on OS X should be much easier. So why not take the opportunity to get Mac gamers' money ?
Also, EA's involvement in Mac gaming seems to have increased lately (Origin for Mac, native port of SimCity), so it appears EA wants to deliver Mac versions of some of their major games.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Dang!

I misread the title! I thought you said Battlefront 3 and 4 are coming to the Mac. (From what I've read Battlefront 3 isn't coming to any platform.)

yabot

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Looks like this isnt happening with Battlefield 4 like 5 days away.... :( Ohwell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.