Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjgrode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I am on iOS 7 GM and have noticed a decrease in battery life on my Verizon iPhone 5. My question is when I disable background app refresh it seems both my outlook personal email and my work exchange account stop pushing new email. I have double checked settings to verify they are setup for push and they are. Is anyone else experiencing this?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm not sure those would get affected by the background refresh but i might be wrong. have you tried reset network settings? or deleting you email accounts and re-adding them.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh. But this does not affect mail, mainly third party apps.

The above poster is right, your email is not part of the background app refresh. Push for mail is all done through the mail settings app.

brian017

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Kilkenny, Ireland
What does this actually do? Mine is set to OFF but apps like Weather always still seem to have the most up-to-date information instantly when I launch them

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What does this actually do? Mine is set to OFF but apps like Weather always still seem to have the most up-to-date information instantly when I launch them

Most apps are even updated for it yet. But Navigon, will continue to download map data in the background even when you close the app. Before, as soon as the app was closed, the download would pause.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Google Maps I think does that, too. It can continue, with this enabled, to track your position, use location features, update, etc, in the background so when it's opened it's still doing it's thing.

I haven't really used it. I disable everything but Google Maps, and that I rarely even use because I have GPS in my car.

cjgrode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I'm not sure those would get affected by the background refresh but i might be wrong. have you tried reset network settings? or deleting you email accounts and re-adding them.

I haven't yet. I setup the phone as new when I upgraded to ios 7 through iTunes. Will try and reset network settings and turn off background app refresh.

As I side note it seems like my iMessage is down right now too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.