Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Went into the Apple Store and asked this just before I got mine and they said its only currently a feature of the Macbooks.

He was under the impression there was going to be a similar feature for the Desktop range next year.

Not sure if that will include current models or newer ones.

sponch

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
do not understand why they didnt imlpement it in the mini. would make sense imho

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
do not understand why they didnt imlpement it in the mini. would make sense imho

Considering Apple only offers Powernap on models that only come with flash storage... And the mini comes standard with a hard drive....

yonis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Considering Apple only offers Powernap on models that only come with flash storage... And the mini comes standard with a hard drive....
You can get it with a Fusion Drive which uses the same sort of storage for the Flash... But if something is stored on the traditional hard drive, then it would need to spin that up for backups, and that generates heat.

So I guess I can understand why it isn't supported, but it would be awesome if it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.