Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:41 PM   #26
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommid View Post
Yes. It will be exactly $2500. Don't ask how i know. Just know that I know and now you know.
Well as long as we are being exact, I'll say it will be $2,499.00.
ActionableMango is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:56 PM   #27
bearcatrp
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boon Docks USA
Its dead. Get over it and move on. Apple is going where the money is at. iToys!
__________________
2010 2.66 Mac Mini, 16GB iPad-3rd Gen, 2 ATV, iPhone 4S, Dual X5670 2.93 Westmere Win7 PC (48GB) & 4930K w/32gb ram Win7.
bearcatrp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:57 PM   #28
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xav8tor View Post
The front may be plastic, but the new X20 series has a lot of aluminum. I think the sides are even brushed. Check out the inside 820 layout...almost Mac Pro like in design. Speaking of design, the cases are designed by BMW...yeah THAT BMW. As for the price, HP has a perpetual 20% discount off retail on BTO's and ready to ships can be had for up to 30% off retail online. I love my Mac Pro, but if Apple doesn't come through next year, HP here I come. Their warranty and telephone support is every bit as good too, as long as they don't sell off their computer division as has been mentioned in the past.
Cool. There IS a voucher.
I feel your frustration for sure.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:18 PM   #29
Phrygian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysb01 View Post
The basics of economics say Apple is doing just fine in pricing their products. If they were not, they wouldn't be one of the most profitable companies on Earth. I hope you were rolling those eyes while looking in a mirror....
Convincing people to buy 2000 dollar facebook machines (laptops) and producing huge amounts of revenue with tablets and phones has NOTHING to do with the dwindling Mac Pro market. Imacs also surely produce a decent amount of revenue. Mac Pros cost so much because of companies that need to illegitimately own legal copies of OS-X on a workstation. The hardware is ridiculously overpriced.

CPU sales make up only about 14% of mac sales in Q1 of 2012. And a small fraction of that is Mac Pros as opposed to imacs or laptops or mac minis.

So no sir, i was rolling my eyes directly at who i quoted(lizkat).

Last edited by Phrygian; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Phrygian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:02 AM   #30
slughead
macrumors 68030
 
slughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Tim Cook just texted me he said: JANUARY 2013: APPLE WILL ANNOUNCE....


The end of the Mac Pro line. They're going to give the mini 2 SSDs, room for 10GB of RAM, triple the price, and tell you it's the same thing.
slughead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:10 PM   #31
wallysb01
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Convincing people to buy 2000 dollar facebook machines (laptops) and producing huge amounts of revenue with tablets and phones has NOTHING to do with the dwindling Mac Pro market. Imacs also surely produce a decent amount of revenue. Mac Pros cost so much because of companies that need to illegitimately own legal copies of OS-X on a workstation. The hardware is ridiculously overpriced.

CPU sales make up only about 14% of mac sales in Q1 of 2012. And a small fraction of that is Mac Pros as opposed to imacs or laptops or mac minis.

So no sir, i was rolling my eyes directly at who i quoted(lizkat).

"Overpriced" is little more than your opinion. If apple will price things such that it makes the most money possible. You can't go pretending to quote the laws of economics and ignore this simple fact.

As far as the pro goes specifically, it is "old" likely because Apple nearly axed it and back peddled. However, they weren't ready to just stop selling a mac pro, so they gave it slight spec bump and said "here, maybe we'll do something in about a year."

Now, a lot of people were obviously a little POed. They wanted Sandy Bridge, new graphics card, TB, etc. But, as you say a not insignificant portion of the pro market wants or needs a OSX workstation. And so, the forces of supply and demand for the Mac Pro start to be visible, do they not? Apple can get away with higher pricing on an "old" machine, because of a specialized market need, the OSX workstation. So, what you think is overpriced, is actually just those silly little laws of the economy you spouted off so ignorantly coming back to bite you in your rear.

Unless of course you have some sort of data to present to Apple that they would actually make more money by cutting the price of the Mac Pro, I'm going to go on assuming that Apple's insane profits suggest they know how to price their products, iToy or Mac Pro.....
wallysb01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:37 PM   #32
scottsjack
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Mac Pros cost so much because of companies that need to illegitimately own legal copies of OS-X on a workstation. The hardware is ridiculously overpriced.
I too think that is the essence of it. It is true that a Mac Pro is a beautiful machine, in and out. Apple has a couple of really nice features like target disk mode and the ability to choose an OS by starting with option key that make serious use of a computer a better experience.

Unfortunately the equipment is hopelessly outdated and storage or RAM upgrades are stupidly expensive. Few would spend the money on a Mac Pro if HP or Dell had i7 or Xeon Mac models available. A $2600 HP h9 gaming desktop looks to be less durable but way faster than base Mac Pro.

As a Mac Pro owner I'm still in the Mac Pro camp but I'm slipping rapidly toward the other side.
scottsjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:22 AM   #33
Phrygian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysb01 View Post
"Overpriced" is little more than your opinion. If apple will price things such that it makes the most money possible. You can't go pretending to quote the laws of economics and ignore this simple fact.

As far as the pro goes specifically, it is "old" likely because Apple nearly axed it and back peddled. However, they weren't ready to just stop selling a mac pro, so they gave it slight spec bump and said "here, maybe we'll do something in about a year."

Now, a lot of people were obviously a little POed. Th you ey wanted Sandy Bridge, new graphics card, TB, etc. But, as you say a not insignificant portion of the pro market wants or needs a OSX workstation. And so, the forces of supply and demand for the Mac Pro start to be visible, do they not? Apple can get away with higher pricing on an "old" machine, because of a specialized market need, the OSX workstation. So, what you think is overpriced, is actually just those silly little laws of the economy spouted off so ignorantly coming back to bite you in your rear.

Unless of course you have some sort of data to present to Apple that they would actually make more money by cutting the price of the Mac Pro, I'm going to go on assuming that Apple's insane profits suggest they know how to price their products, iToy or Mac Pro.....
You give to much credit to the company. There are multiple execs, each with there own idea as to the best way to market and price items... but your right that mac pros are completely on the back burning. They haven't axed it yet, but they are barely paying attention to it. That is most likely the reason the prices haven't changed.

And its not an opinion based thing when their profit margin on each mac pro sold continuously goes up because they are getting their parts for less, but keep the price of their units stagnant.

And frankly, its getting easier and easier to hackintosh. The only way a "BIG" announcement for mac pros will ever happen is if the price is cut 700-1000 dollars, or they start letting people legit run OS-X on their own builds. Nothing else will make a new mac pro more cost efficient than a pc work station.
Phrygian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC