Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisMc73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I need help figuring out a reasonable selling price for my 17" MBP.

Here are the specs:

MacBook Pro 6,1
17-inch, Mid 2010
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 288 MB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
ST9500420ASG 500GB 7200RPM HDD
Glossy Hi-Res Screen

I'm selling cause I want to upgrade to a newer retina MBP, I just don't know what a good selling price for this machine would be. Any advice as to where I could sell it and make the most from it, and what to offer it for? I actually have a potential buy who's a photographer, and I just want to make sure we are both getting a good deal.

Thanks.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

ChrisMc73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

I've been trying to find one with the same specs as mine on Amazon, no luck, I'm trying to figure out how to find the part number i.e "MD311LL/A", for my machine but don't know how to find this. Any clues?

$1520 sounds reasonable, I guess?

Last edited:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say....

$1100-1250 would be a good asking price. Can go up or down based in remaining AppleCare (if any), cosmetic and functional condition, care of the machine.

If selling through a online site factor in also shipping costs/fees

:):apple:

ChrisMc73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
$1100-1250 would be a good asking price. Can go up or down based in remaining AppleCare (if any), cosmetic and functional condition, care of the machine.

If selling through a online site factor in also shipping costs/fees

:):apple:

Wow, really? That seems LOW. There is no more Apple Care, well I never bought it. Cosmetically its perfect. No scratches anywhere, looks brand new. Functionally its awesome, fast, just as you'd expect based on the specs. Its been take very good care of. Its not had a lot of use either, my employer bought me a MBP to use so thats been my primary, this is just one that my wife uses from time to time. Very little travel, very little wear or use.

My gut feeling is $1500 is a min I'd want to take right now. Was hoping with the upgraded specs it would be worth more in the $1600-$1800 range. Especially for those who might still want a 17" notebook, and can't get one anymore...like a photographer or video person.

But I guess, it is what it is. Probably best to find a local buyer vs. trying to sell online via Amazon or eBay.

Last edited:

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
You might as well ask for $1500 and see if it sells. I doubt it will since completed listings on Ebay are in the 1100-1300 range typically.

ChrisMc73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
You might as well ask for $1500 and see if it sells. I doubt it will since completed listings on Ebay are in the 1100-1300 range typically.

With the same specs? I'll go dig and try to find one with the same specs and see if I have to be more realistic. I just want to turn around and use the money for a newer one, wished that Apple had a better ROI for trade ins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.