Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
That should be good. You could also use an OptiBay if you don't use your Optical Drive, and use both the old and new for extra storage.

duncan916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
That should be good. You could also use an OptiBay if you don't use your Optical Drive, and use both the old and new for extra storage.

Oh wow, that sounds good.

Do you know what 512 byte emulation (512e) is?

Emulation sounds bad to me... like there might be a bottle neck of some kind...

duncan916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
512 emulation

To answer my own question: 512 emulation is really there for reverse compatibility with older systems that do not use Advanced Format. There should be no bottle neck unless the computer you instal that hard drive into does not support Advanced Format (any drive formatted with sectors larger than 512 bytes) in which case the 512 emulation will be used.

Most hard drives use advanced format now, with sector sizes around 4k.

----------

Hi. I'd like to buy a HD for my MacBook Pro and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

The specs I'm looking for are:
7200 rpm
750 GB
and I'm pretty sure it has to be a 2.5" drive

Would this be a good hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelst...kaging/dp/B0054CFLTY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ?

What is 512 byte emulation (512e)?

I'd like to spend about $75 USD.

By the way: this is for a 2007 MacBook Pro

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I would recommend the WD Scorpio Black 750 GB drive. WD has a developed a strong reputation for reliable, durable, and fast HDD.

The Seagates are kind of the black sheep now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.