Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:17 PM   #26
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
My use case is evolving, am thinking I'll keep my iPhone and iPad and just swap out the SIM card for when I need data on my iPad.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:47 PM   #27
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

My experience went the other way, had iPhone since the 3G, then got the iPad and the phone got minimal use. This happened for the 4 and 4s. Still got used, just not as much as the 3G etc. so I got an android phone now, I use that more, nice to have something different. Still love my iPad lol
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:20 PM   #28
panzer06
macrumors 68030

I only use the iPhone for talking, light e-mail and texting. Everything else I use my iPad. And with more coworkers, friends and family using iphones means I can use iMessages on the iPad and not use the phone that much at all

Cheers,
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:09 PM   #29
Tikatika
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4S: talking, iMessage/text, all music (home and Bluetooth in car), grocery/errand lists. After getting first iPad, screen is just too small for anything else.

Mini: reader in bed (awesome), and goes with me in my bag every time I leave the house.

iPad 3: for everything else at home. Rarely use the computer for anything anymore.

Now that I have the Mini, I am considering selling the iPhone when my AT&T contract expires in 7 months, and getting a small talk/text phone.
Tikatika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:11 AM   #30
MacBH928
macrumors 6502a

Very interesting feedback from everyone.

Seems to me most of you replaced your computers with the iPad. As I see most are relying on the iPhone as a "cellphone" only while the iPad is getting the computer use.

For everyone who says that he he uses the iPad more than the iPhone, do you have computers? if so what do you use them for?

Personally I wish the iPad get thinner/lighter to be a better reading device, while many will recommend the iPad mini I heard the iPad mini is too small for browsing that you have to keep zooming in. I did not deal with one myself.

My dream, iPad 5 as thin as the iPad mini . I am ok to sacrifice some battery power as the current iPad battery lasts for days
MacBH928 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:45 AM   #31
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmohd84 View Post

Seems to me most of you replaced your computers with the iPad. As I see most are relying on the iPhone as a "cellphone" only while the iPad is getting the computer use.

For everyone who says that he he uses the iPad more than the iPhone, do you have computers? if so what do you use them for?

Personally I wish the iPad get thinner/lighter to be a better reading device, while many will recommend the iPad mini I heard the iPad mini is too small for browsing that you have to keep zooming in. I did not deal with one myself.

My dream, iPad 5 as thin as the iPad mini . I am ok to sacrifice some battery power as the current iPad battery lasts for days
I use my iPad for almost everything. I would use it for even more (personal finance specifically), but my wife doesn't trust putting that info on mobile devices. So, that is pretty much the only thing I use our computer for. Other than that, it is used to store media and documents and little else. The kids use it for schoolwork and some gaming (club penguin, ST math, etc.). As for my iPhone, it is used for calling, texting using iMessage and text free, quick reference stuff for work (I'd prefer my iPad for this but don't always have it around; looking forward to a retina mini that will fit in m lab coat), music, some web surfing, basic games (I'm not a big gamer), and other on-the-go type stuff. The iPad gets pretty much everything else.
SHirsch999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:03 AM   #32
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Quote:

I wouldn't say my iPad replaces my computer -- there are still a lot of things my computer does that the iPad can't. I tend to do all my work-related tasks on my computer, and also do video conversion and ebook formatting. I also have a large media collection that don't fit on my iPad, so I use my computer to manage that.

I use my iPad to read ebooks and news articles, browse the web, check sports scores using the NFL, MBA, NBA, and other such apps. I also occasionary watch videos on my iPad, though mostly I stream them to my Apple TV. Oh, and I use iMessage to text -- I do that from my iPhone as well, but if I can get my iPad out, I find it easier to type on my iPad.

I do agree that a thinner, lighter iPad would be ideal. But while I personally could live with slightly less battery life, I can see Apple's point in keeping the battery life at 10 hours. That is good for traveling -- for instance, if you were taking a long plane flight, a 10-hour battery could get you through without recharging.

Oh, and while the mini does require a bit more zooming than the iPad, the iPhone requires even more. So if you are happy with your iPhone, then I don't see why the mini should give you problems.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:20 AM   #33
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I spend almost all day at work in front of an MS Windows based computer. I have a 17" MacBook Pro and an old Dell notebook computer at home. But I don't use them much. After using the iPad, it just seems like too much of a hassle to pull them out and start them.

I also have small children and cats at home. I cannot leave anything fragile like a computer, tablet or smartphone just lying around for fear that it will be destroyed. If I pull out a laptop I have to set it up, use it, then power it down and put it away.

Most of the computer I do at home is just connecting to the Internet. It is just so much easier to do with an iPad.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:40 AM   #34
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

I take my Blackberry everywhere for e-mail, phone and texting. I sometimes take another device such as my Kindle or Kindle Fire out to use when I think I'll have time to read. I don't find any of these devices optimum for web surfing. I love my iPad 4 and use that often at home, but for any prolonged or serious work on the computer I use my rMBP. A phone will never replace the iPad for me. I even find the screen on the iPad mini too small to appeal to me.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:04 PM   #35
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHirsch999 View Post
I use my iPad for almost everything. I would use it for even more (personal finance specifically), but my wife doesn't trust putting that info on mobile devices. So, that is pretty much the only thing I use our computer for. Other than that, it is used to store media and documents and little else. The kids use it for schoolwork and some gaming (club penguin, ST math, etc.). As for my iPhone, it is used for calling, texting using iMessage and text free, quick reference stuff for work (I'd prefer my iPad for this but don't always have it around; looking forward to a retina mini that will fit in m lab coat), music, some web surfing, basic games (I'm not a big gamer), and other on-the-go type stuff. The iPad gets pretty much everything else.
You might try showing your wife this:http://www.themobilityhub.com/author...doc_id=248557&

I feel most secure doing my banking, and storing my financial records on my iPad. Just enable encryption, use a strong password, and no criminal could get at your data if the pad is lost or stolen.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:19 PM   #36
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:

I have Apple & Alienware computers. The Apple computers are for work (Word, Excel, PP, Parallels/VMware) with web browsing, light entertainment, iTunes, etc... while the Alienware is only for gaming, no-Web Browsing or any other function.

iPad is a TV watching companion, web surfing, forums, FB, LinkedIn, apps, e-mail and movies/TV, books, magazines gadget that goes with me everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

Cheers,
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:16 PM   #37
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You know, kingmohd84, your thread is very timely. I had been wondering the opposite of you: How many people were relying less on their iPhone and instead using their iPad for most functions.

It seems a majority of people visiting this section of the forum are using their iPhone less and their iPad more. I can't help but wonder, however, if the responses would have been different if you had posted your thread in the iPhone section instead of the iPad section.

Quote:
Personally I wish the iPad get thinner/lighter to be a better reading device...

My dream, iPad 5 as thin as the iPad mini.
Your dream may become a reality if Apple can get the IGZO display technology into production.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:39 PM   #38
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

The opposite for me. I use my ipad mini 90% of the time at home. And with the lte model I try to take it with me when I go to work and to other places.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:02 PM   #39
mncmoore
macrumors regular

I love early edition. Read it several times a day. Love it on my ipad.
mncmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:19 PM   #40
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

iPad: some games, web browsing, it's the home device for everything
iPod touch 4: reading in bed, apps that aren't compatible with iPad. I also use when iPad Is charging
Laptop: minecraft, intense sites
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:33 PM   #41
danpass
macrumors 68020

op, what you mention is indeed done simpler on an iPhone.

Interestingly I do none of those so my use happens to be the opposite.

I did try an ipad but it was too large so I held out hope and now i have a Mini instead.

Remote Desktop to work or home pc
iPhoto for iOS is a pleasure to use on the iPad and the adapters make it easy to import photos (no import allowed on iPhone)
Imovie for iOS. Eats up and edits dSLR video and gopro video with ease.
Pages
Numbers
Reading magazines. Possible on iPhone but certainly more pleasing on ipad.
Angry Birds is the only game I really play and it is nicer on ipad. (The AB Star Wars edition is the best btw)
I prefer surfing on ipad.

I'm sure there is more. All the above is possible on iPhone and I've done it but it is much better on iPad. My ipad was my 'laptop' on my recent week long trip to NY and, due to the adapters, I did not want for functionality.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad