Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:13 AM   #26
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
I just got one after going to the store day after day for two weeks for my wife and now she hears this news of the new mini 2 launch coming in march and she wants me to go return it. Anyone else having the same thoughts? I guess we could play with it for 14 days and take it back.

She says she would rather have retina on it so it's a no Brainer for her.
Yes, I am returning every Apple product I have bought in the last 6 months and waiting for the next models. Even though I use them every day, I just can't stand not having the latest and greatest.

Guess what, before your wife receives her Mini2, there will be rumors of a Mini3, then what are you going to do, return your Mini2 and wait for a Mini3?

There are only rumors the Mini2 will have a Retina screen. What if it doesn't?

I'd be embarrassed to start a thread like this. Since there are so many of them, many other people are not.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:45 AM   #27
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Just keep it

If a newer one comes out in march sell the one you have

We will probably know a few days before the event or even weeks if there will be a new mini

So you'll have plenty of time to sell it before the announcement
Agreed. Right now it is just pure speculation that Apple does an update to the iPads in March.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #28
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
I just got one after going to the store day after day for two weeks for my wife and now she hears this news of the new mini 2 launch coming in march and she wants me to go return it. Anyone else having the same thoughts? I guess we could play with it for 14 days and take it back.

She says she would rather have retina on it so it's a no Brainer for her.
There's a possibility you'll have to wait longer: Apple could just as well settle for an October (or September) release.

If you are willing to spend at least 2.5 to 3 months without iPad mini AND if you are willing to risk a new iPad mini might only come out this fall, than return it.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:04 AM   #29
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Yes, I am returning every Apple product I have bought in the last 6 months and waiting for the next models. Even though I use them every day, I just can't stand not having the latest and greatest.

Guess what, before your wife receives her Mini2, there will be rumors of a Mini3, then what are you going to do, return your Mini2 and wait for a Mini3?

There are only rumors the Mini2 will have a Retina screen. What if it doesn't?

I'd be embarrassed to start a thread like this. Since there are so many of them, many other people are not.
Nice reasoning except that the mini has been based on 2 year old hardware that was outdated to begin with. Furthermore it doesn't have a retina display which is an absolute must have feature.

You're reasoning is legit though if the mini had been released with a retina display. People that have the ipad mini now are basically forced to upgrade anyway.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:19 AM   #30
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
Furthermore it doesn't have a retina display which is an absolute must have feature.
This explains the very poor sales of the Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
People that have the ipad mini now are basically forced to upgrade anyway.
Forced?
kodeman53 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:44 AM   #31
Bokes
macrumors 6502

IMO- If we see anything new in march it will be the slimmer full size ipad 5.
The mini will get retina in the fall with a price increase.
The old mini will continue to offered at current price and replace the iPad 2.
Ipad 2 goes away.
Bokes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 AM   #32
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Threads like this make no sense to me.

If you can buy a Mini now, why not? The 2nd one is still 3-4 months away. If its such a big upgrade (which I doubt it), then just sell and rebuy. Why would anyone wait 3 months.
nStyle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:22 AM   #33
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokes View Post
IMO- If we see anything new in march it will be the slimmer full size ipad 5.
If the iPad 5 gets a slimmer chassis, like the mini, I think it'll be a gorgeous device, so big and thin (if they can do it). I've got a mini and holding a device this thin is a wonderful experience, making the full sized iPad like this would definitely (in my opinion) be a great step for the device.

But I don't think we'll be seeing it in March - it's too soon (you also sound a bit sceptical or hesitant about a March release). There should be leaked photos of the new case by now and other details of the physical aspects of it. In 4 days we'll be 1/2 finished with Jan, which means March is just 1-1/2 months away and for the last two years the iPad has been announced in the first week of March (and the month prior to announce was speculation about the announce date, not so much about details of the device because everybody pretty much knew all the details by then).

Also, for any big launch and big product upgrade, they stockpile units for weeks or months so they will have enough on day 1 of availability, which means more people touching the product, which means more people know, which means more leak points, which would lead to at least one leak by now. I think March is too soon.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Keep watching for rumours on the next Apple event date. Hold on to your iPad Mini until then and sell it just before or on the day or the event announcement, or during the week leading up to the event itself for full resale value.
Darn.

I really wanted to buy an iPad 4 this morning.

Then I saw this rumor.

How many people think its not legit???

I guess I can sell it on Craigslist but isn't the market more saturated these days and hard to sell?
Bobby Corwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:34 AM   #35
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
Darn.

Then I saw this rumor.

I guess I can sell it on Craigslist but isn't the market more saturated these days and hard to sell?
The iPad and iPad Mini that will be available next Fall will be even better than the models that might be available in the Spring. Delay your purchase for at least 1 year.
kodeman53 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:40 AM   #36
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The iPad and iPad Mini that will be available next Fall will be even better than the models that might be available in the Spring. Delay your purchase for at least 1 year.
The buyers guide DOES say buy now...

These decisions are always impossible to solve with much certainty.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 AM   #37
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
These decisions are always impossible to solve with much certainty.
I agree. That is why it is best to solicit the opinions of strangers on the Internet. Their guesses about what Apple will do are usually very accurate.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:45 AM   #38
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Darn.

Then I saw this rumor.

why would that stop you? with the 4 you will have the best ipad to date by far. if the 5 come out in fall, so what..you will still have the second best ipad by far.... or you can sell your 4 and buy the new one if you feel the need. why not get the new one and enjoy it, as nothing posted here is fact.. I plan on keeping my 4 for a long time as every other ipad currently made will be dropped by apple before the 4 is . it has much more power under the hood than any other ipad out there...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:54 AM   #39
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I agree. That is why it is best to solicit the opinions of strangers on the Internet. Their guesses about what Apple will do are usually very accurate.
Yeah. I guess I will just hop on the Merry Go Round now and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
why would that stop you? with the 4 you will have the best ipad to date by far. if the 5 come out in fall, so what..you will still have the second best ipad by far.... or you can sell your 4 and buy the new one if you feel the need. why not get the new one and enjoy it, as nothing posted here is fact.. I plan on keeping my 4 for a long time as every other ipad currently made will be dropped by apple before the 4 is . it has much more power under the hood than any other ipad out there...
The main thing I'm worried about despite there not being many leaked parts is that the 4 was a ghost upgrade for the holidays which barely counts and its very realistic that the real generational 5 upgrade is potentially march.

If it happens I will be bothered with having to sell the iPad 4 and I think I will lose at least 200$ because the Apple market isn't like what it used to be in the glory era where you buy for 600$ and sell for 560$.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:14 AM   #40
kodeman53
Banned

Why will you 'have to sell'?
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #41
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why will you 'have to sell'?
I like the lightness aspect.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:31 AM   #42
RichP74
macrumors member

Hilarious. Meanwhile, the lady I sold our ancient iPad 1 to is thrilled with the device, and uses it for hours every day. Perspective, guys.
RichP74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:35 AM   #43
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

If you can get rid of it and wait until March on the off chance another one might be released, then I'd say you don't really need an iPad at all!
Phil A. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:24 PM   #44
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

I wouldn't return it. The iPad mini is fine. Good luck waiting till October
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:33 PM   #45
Kadin
macrumors 6502a

I got my Mini back one week ago yesterday and there's no way I'm returning it. If a refresh worth buying does come out in March, well my mom is getting a nice gift from her son.

Honestly I have no reason to upgrade. Retina is nice, clearly. But I see no reason to having to get it. Speed bump and increase in RAM would interest me though.
Kadin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:47 PM   #46
susa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Darn.

Then I saw this rumor.

Re the market. Wouldn't worry about that too much. Tons of people have non-Apple tablets, who made every excuse imaginable to put down Apple, but deep in their hearts imho they yearn to trade their pieces of plastic for an Apple tablet.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:53 PM   #47
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetonyk123 View Post
I wouldn't return it. The iPad mini is fine. Good luck waiting till October
or march...
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:10 PM   #48
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502

My buy strategy depends on what features i value. Current ipad is too heavy, so i have held out since ipad1 waiting for a lighter ipad. For mini, retina not critical, so i bought it. I think its worth holding out for the feature you value.
rowspaxe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:10 PM   #49
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I'm waiting for the iPad Mini 4. Only a sucker would settle for a stripped down 2nd or 3rd generation model.
My iPad Mini 5 can beat up your iPad Mini 4.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:33 PM   #50
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
?? Very used to what and heavily rely on what?...
the design change your talking about, making the original iPad slimmer like the iPad mini will put off a lot of people because people rely on the wider bezel etc
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad