Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Is it just me, or does it seem like the Youtube app has a lot of missing videos? If I search youtube on my MBP I get all the videos, including official music videos, whereas on the iPad I can never find what I'm looking for, especially music videos.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
The iphone app does exactly the same thing, perhaps something with publishers limiting the content to desktop only? Kind of annoying.

jrboddie

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Yes. When a video is published, there is a option to allow/disallow availability to mobile and tv syndication (TiVo).

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2009
I think youtube is gimped.

The app has limited videos. And if you go to the website you get the mobile version.

I tried selecting desktop to get the full youtube and selecting html 5 beta.

Some videos load but most don't. Don't know if it is a google or a apple problem but it is lame nonetheless.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Most of the ipad youtube videos are crappy too. :( Kind of defeats the purpose.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Youtube behaves the exact same way on my Western Digital Media Extender (which has a built in YT app). Basically everything I *want* to view, I'm not allowed to because the device is connected to a TV (or so the error message reads).

Some days I'm astounded by how much youtube sucks. But to be fair I was never a huge fan anyway.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Yes. When a video is published, there is a option to allow/disallow availability to mobile and tv syndication (TiVo).

Why would youtube even include this option? I'm guessing it has to do with some legal issue, but can't figure out what that would be. If its available for everyone to see on the internet already, why wouldn't people want it to be seen on a mobile or tv device?

taskmanager

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
It will only play the mobile videos. The mobile videos on youtube aren't using flash, which is why youtube made it available so you could view videos without it. Unfortunately the youtube channel owner has to check a box to allow mobile viewing. If only the ipad supported flash... common Steve make friends with adobe

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Yeah, its kinda a bummer esp. when you wanna show off your shiny new iPad to your friends and ***** don't work! Also, the resolution is kinda disappointing too esp. in landscape mode.. Oh well.. I still love my iPad though!

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
I freaking love YouTube! I watch HD videos on it all the time and they look great. Lower res videos not so much but I don't care especially since there are loads of old TV show goodness for my huge iPad screen! :D

Btw, is there a way to search for videos by Date either on the YouTube app or through the browser? On my computer, it would let you search for videos that had been uploaded within a day or month etc.

Smackfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
If you want to see this in action, search for an official music video on desktop YouTube and Favorite it. Now if you go to your favorites on the iPad, you will see the video but if you try to play it, it will say it's unsupported on the iPad.

Or just follow this link on the iPad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I

vstephenson

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
On the subject of YouTube...

When I try to save/flag a video as a favourite i keep getting the error message "YouTube not available"

Any ideas?

Cheers
Vincent

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Actually, many artists and users, prevent their videos from being embedded (or syndicated), unfortunately, because of that, you can only view the videos via a web browser.

TEG

sandshir

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
limited content on youtube

The reason why artists and media companies limit some of their content to desktop only is because many people hook up their ipads and iphones to their cars (with growing media connectivity in modern vehicles) and forgo subscription options like xm/sirius satellite radio or radio in general which reduces these artists ability to generate money through these premium subscription based services. Its self defeating. Same with youtube on playstations and Apple TV's, by being able to play the main HD versions of artists music and video (or media content), you forgo adding premium media channels to your channel line up. Even the internet service providers and telecom companies hate it, because many mobile phones come with unlimited data usage plans, and so rather than people paying for the extra channels, they pay for the unlimited data plan (which comes out to less) and use their youtube ready mobile devices to stream endless amount of media and data to their tv sets. The only solution for the media/telecom complex shall we call it is to limit the streaming only to desktop devices, your not gonna take your desktop to your car, and your not going to hook it up to your tv set every time with cables, some do, but many wont its too much work and hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.